Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-07-2005, 23:57   #76
Member.

Re: London Alert

Cashman, can you imagine the shear sense of fear of what might happen that must have been going through the minds of those officers. Nobody could ever say for sure but by sitting on the back this unfortunate chap they might have thought that they might deflect or reduce the impact of the explosion.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-07-2005, 00:44   #77
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Cashman, can you imagine the shear sense of fear of what might happen that must have been going through the minds of those officers. Nobody could ever say for sure but by sitting on the back this unfortunate chap they might have thought that they might deflect or reduce the impact of the explosion.
thats what i mean doug -nobody can say for sure i,m certainly not knocking the guys i just think a safer bet from a self preservation viewpoint would have been to shoot him without sitting on him, after seeing the devastion in the previous bombings it is hard to visulise a much reduced impact,
Old 24-07-2005, 01:11   #78
Give, give, give member

2 am news on BBC.

Earlier reports that the man shot was Asian were wrong, police just released details that he was in fact Brazilian, and had no connection with terrorist organizations.

Moral stay out of the sun, and if travelling on the underground and some undercover police officer starts shouting at you in a language you may not understand, drop to the ground.

Won't really help our image around the world in the billions of pounds we are going to loose in tourist dollars, yen, euros or indeed Brazilian reals.

Last edited by garinda; 24-07-2005 at 01:13.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2005, 09:44   #79
Senior Member+

Well said A-B , i totally agree with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
I have no problem at all with the Police shooting fleeing suspects - think of the time and money it saves in legal aid and prison accomodation - what I do have a problem with is excitable dung-heads who whine because they are too dim to realise that any so called Shoot- to-Kill policy is aimed at people who are suspected of having the potential to kill or maim others.

I also have a problem with people who spend years claiming social security benefits and preach hate and intolerance, who then fight tooth and nail to stay in the country they profess to hate, loathe and detest because they are terrified of returning to face the consequences of their actions in their country of origin.

I also have a problem with people who refuse to integrate into their adopted society to the extent that they feel the need to set up their own Parliament - People who are only British when it suits them or when they are in trouble or when they are demanding a handout.
Old 24-07-2005, 13:06   #80
Give, give, give member

This post seems to have gone fairly quiet.

I earlier said if this man who was shot was a suicide bomber I was glad he was dead. He wasn't.

I do understand the reasons other people though his death was in the interests of secutity of the masses.

I for one am sorry that there as been another victim because of the current situation.

Old 24-07-2005, 13:16   #81
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
This post seems to have gone fairly quiet.

I earlier said if this man who was shot was a suicide bomber I was glad he was dead. He wasn't.

I do understand the reasons other people though his death was in the interests of secutity of the masses.

I for one am sorry that there as been another victim because of the current situation.
that is the reason-and that alone,i was saying the shoot to kill policy,needs to be announced through ALL media sources,perhaps like a pre-announced statement i am all in favour of such a policy in these terrible times but there can be NO room for doubt as to what the policy is.none of us were aware that the poor sod was not a terrorist,but none of us know what he thought or what actually happened,
Old 24-07-2005, 19:47   #82
Give, give, give member

Still a bit saddened reading through some of he posts from yesterday, jokes about saving money by shooting, that this post seems to have died.

Shame.

Old 24-07-2005, 20:45   #83
Always EVIL within us

Now that I am finally back on the net I would like to start by giving my full support to the "shoot to kill" policy. It is sad and unfortunate that a Brazillian national is the first victim but the question has to be asked, WHY did he run?

As most of you know, Willow and I have recently returned from Tunisia and the police there wear sidearms as a matter of course. If one of them shouted to me, I would stop! I don't speak Arabic and very little French but when a gun is pulled by one in authority you do the common sense thing. It must be the same in Brazil surely which puts a question mark over the national papers headlines that he is "INNOCENT"

There will of course be an enquiry but for the sake of this country and our security forces, I hope it does not turn into a witch-hunt. If that happens and the man that pulled the trigger is penalised then we might as well pack our bags and emigrate.

Does anyone know of any country not infected by P.C. madness? (apart from Iraq)
Old 24-07-2005, 21:07   #84
Member.

I think you raised a very valid point in respect of a witch hunt….Many Police officers will be waiting to see how this situation goes, some commentators are already concerned that some Police officers might withdraw from armed duty because of the risks of facing manslaughter or murder charges, allegedly some other are expressing concerns that if they challenge and hesitate they might give opportunity to a bomber to trigger a device. The public must stand with the police and offer our continuing support, God forbid that another innocent man should die, but God help us all if our police refuse to carry arms.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 24-07-2005, 21:16   #85
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
The public must stand with the police and offer our continuing support, God forbid that another innocent man should die, but God help us all if our police refuse to carry arms.

My sentiments exactly Doug, If the Police do not get the backing of both the national press and the support of the people the terrorists have won!
Old 24-07-2005, 21:24   #86
Member.

I think that’s right and many people are hoping that our leaders take responsibility and ensure that our Police officers, Intelligence Services and Security forces receive unwavering support. Mistake might be made and God forbid it should be one of us, but we can’t pander to those that would undermine our country.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 24-07-2005, 21:55   #87
Give, give, give member

I fully support the police shoot to kill policy regarding suspected suicide bombers. My original comments were that that the police should have perhaps released some information as to why he was a suspect, so as to quell an already angry Muslim miniority into committing more heinous crimes.

It is a serious and compicated question. I found some of the pat comments about saving money by shooting to kill posted yesterday, before we knew more facts, in hindsight in very poor taste. I didn't see this man's family laughing on the news just now for their son's mistake.

I to ignored someone who claimed to be a plain clothes policeman on the same tube line. I didn't have to pay with my life for the choice l made.

Old 24-07-2005, 22:08   #88
Member.

Listen Garinda, we’re renowned for our bad taste and black humour in time of adversity; it’s what helps some of us cope with the unpleasantness. Some people will agree with you fully and some won’t. An innocent life was lost that’s a fact, 56 innocent people also lost there lives on the 7th and untold number could have died on Thursday. Nothing can change these facts; it happened and I regret it will happen again. We didn’t want this man to die his life was equally in his hands and that of the officer that shot him. I don’t think he will be happy at his choice and I’m sure if he could take it back he would. We make choices and act in times of stress, and then we have to live with them. All of us share the guilt and responsibility for what happened, we must accept that fact and move on

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 24-07-2005, 22:28   #89
Give, give, give member

Fine agreed, it wasn't your 'pat' humour l thought in bad taste.

Old 24-07-2005, 22:40   #90
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Fine agreed, it wasn't your 'pat' humour l thought in bad taste.
I neither thought nor said it was Garinda, at the end of the day we should all respect each others opinions and look towards better times. It is good to debate and we still hold dear the right of self expression. I have often wondered if anyone in the Muslim or any other Minority community would have raised an eyebrow if this unfortunate lad had been White and Christian.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..