Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-07-2005, 22:41   #91
Member.

Re: London Alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Fine agreed, it wasn't your 'pat' humour l thought in bad taste.
I neither thought nor said it was Garinda, at the end of the day we should all respect each others opinions and look towards better times. It is good to debate and we still hold dear the right of self expression. I have often wondered if anyone in the Muslim or any other Minority community would have raised an eyebrow if this unfortunate lad had been White and Christian.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-07-2005, 23:36   #92
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
I neither thought nor said it was Garinda, at the end of the day we should all respect each others opinions and look towards better times. It is good to debate and we still hold dear the right of self expression. I have often wondered if anyone in the Muslim or any other Minority community would have raised an eyebrow if this unfortunate lad had been White and Christian.
I should like to think so.

All victims of this are to be pittied.

Is Brazilian not classed as 'white'?

Most Brazilians are Roman Catholic, so we can't assume he wasn't Christian.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2005, 00:15   #93
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
I should like to think so.

All victims of this are to be pittied.

Is Brazilian not classed as 'white'?

Most Brazilians are Roman Catholic, so we can't assume he wasn't Christian.
You know what I meant, but I both take and accept you point.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2005, 01:37   #94
land of hope and glory

when anyone is being dodgy do you think we should take the risk?NO WAY HOSEA! you are guilty you ran bang bang you are gone easy and simple dont mess around with your own?
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2005, 02:00   #95
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggeringman
when anyone is being dodgy do you think we should take the risk?NO WAY HOSEA! you are guilty you ran bang bang you are gone easy and simple dont mess around with your own?
True he made a mistake.

As l said earlier, l was asked to go with someone claiming to be a London Underground Police Officer at Stockwell tube station where this happened. I didn't, my instinct told me to quickly depart in the other direction. I was right this man made the wrong choice.

I also to my shame, along with others, ignored the cries of a woman at Brixton tube station who claimed she had just been raped. This was in the rush hour. The next day's Evening Standard sadly confirmed her story.

It's east to sit up here and pontificate about what someone should or shouldn't do in a given situation, there are an awful lot of strange people in London, many l would still quickly walk away from, if not run.

Again, l say that l do feel the situation is hard for the police and l fully support them, it's just that l think this dead man is also a victim of an ever worsening story.

Old 25-07-2005, 02:14   #96
land of hope and glory

shoot the lot of them!if in doubt give them a shot! thought muslims where not allowed to drink? or gamble that mon from blythes soon made a mess of that didnt he?
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2005, 02:20   #97
Give, give, give member

Quote:
shoot the lot of them!if in doubt give them a shot! thought muslims where not allowed to drink? or gamble that mon from blythes soon made a mess of that didnt he?
If l was pumped full of holes when l sup your fine ales, l'd make a mess all over the carpet and Mands wouldn't be too chuffed!

Old 25-07-2005, 12:56   #98
God Member

Well, well, well.

As expected, the BBC and the rest of the politically-correct toss-pots went overboard on the coverage of the death of this Brazilian character. Does it strike anyone odd that this individual appears to have had a hundred times more media coverage than any victim of the 7/7 bombings?

Anyway, it now appears he was not so innocent after all. His work visa had expired; he was therefore both an illegal immigrant and working here illegally. No wonder he ran. But his guilt did not end there; he neither stopped to purchase a travel ticket not run his travel card through the reader. In other words, he was a fare dodger.

His Brazillian family are in the process of seeking compensation from the Met; I hope they do not get a penny, but rather London Underground sends them a bill for £10pds, being the standard penalty for fare evaision.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2005, 12:58   #99
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Shoot who???

Old 25-07-2005, 13:11   #100
God Member

Oh dear...now I stand corrected.This guy did not even have a work visa...he had an expired student visa.Yet he was working as an electrician. I wonder - how much tax was he paying? Not a lot, I expect the answer.

Talking about cops, has anyone read up on the Brazilian police death squads? Apparently, they target orphan kids in the slums of Rio and San Paulo...they kill several hunded a year.Its funny how the Brazilian government, while in the process of comparing the Met to the SS, has little to say about the cops in its own backyard.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 25-07-2005 at 13:14.
Old 25-07-2005, 13:27   #101
Give, give, give member

Margaret Pilkington had a dodgy visa in Australia if you read her blog

So glad she wasn't shot, l do so enjoy reading her journal.

Old 25-07-2005, 13:46   #102
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Question Re: London Alert

Quote:
you wouldnt mean the mon who won 18 million and worked at hapton blythes would you? the guy who used to run my mate from blackburn to the hapton site for the 2 years he was banned for drink driving and never took a penny off him. was probably a better bloke than a few i know.
Old 25-07-2005, 13:47   #103
Resting in peace

Yes it is a tragedy that an innocent man died. HOWEVER, before we all go overboard about this, let's consider a few facts -

1. He was of Latin American appearance, easily confused with Asian.
2. He lived in a block which was under surveillance as being the home/hideout of one of the previous day's bombers.
3. He was dressed totally inappropriately for the weather. On a hot day in London, who wears a bulky topcoat/anorak?
4. He was challenged to stop and did not do so. Instead he ran onto the Tube - exactly what a would-be suicide bomber would have done.

Can we also recognise the fact that police officers, armed or not, are simply ordinary people with some extra training. They don't want to be blown apart any more than we do. Where there is doubt, and that doubt involves the potential death/maiming of scores of innocent people, there is no real room for doubt - it is a luxury we cannot afford. The shoot to kill policy should be widely disseminated, so that would-be bombers are in no doubt that they may well achieve suicide, but they're going on their own.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2005, 13:53   #104
Resting in peace

P.S. - Part 2 of last Thursday's thrilling episode. Could not get out of office to go to bank, so had to go at 6:10 dressed in long frock, done up to nines, jools, the lot. Got money - but no cabs free - lots of cabs, but all taken. SO - got on the 98 bus to Red Lion Square (allegedly). Packed bus, long frock, = funny looks. I did feel like announcing "I always dress like this on a Thursday", but refrained. Alleged 98 to R L Sq actually stopped well short of Tottenham Court Road - so had to schlep the rest of the way to Lincoln's Inn, on packed pavements, holding up long frock, muttering obscenities (just) under my breath. Finally arrived at L.I. at 7:20, puffing like a grampus, puce in the face, and CERTAINLY not looking soigne and calm! A glass of cold champagne has never been more welcome (but sadly I only had time for one before dinner was announced). Thanks a bunch, our little colonial cousins.

P.S. They most certainly did expect the bombs to go off - we can just be grateful they weren't too well up on their chemistry. One of them was reported to set off his would-be bomb standing next to a woman holding a baby. Nice guy, uh?
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2005, 13:59   #105
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
Yes it is a tragedy that an innocent man died. .
He appears only to have been inocent of terrorism. He was certainly guilty of being in this country illegally, he was guilty of fare dodging and he was probably guilty of tax evaision. I notice that he had relatives with him here. I trust the relevant authorities are now in the process of checking on their entry status.

To put it quite simply, if this man had not been breaking the law by being here, he would be alive today.

...there's alot of sirens suddenly going off this end....

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..