Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2012, 01:02   #16
JFT96

Re: Lottery Winnings

Quote:
Originally Posted by egg&chips View Post
I think the lottery winnings should be taxed over a certain amount like in betting shop winnings on untaxed wagers.

By the way does anyone else object to the way the BBC gives a free advert to the profit making organisation Camelot??- sorry if it veers from the original post.
Interesting comment, so how much percentage would you tax and at what point would it kick in?
Bear in mind that 0.12 pence of every ticket is duty paid direct to the Government.
Yes Camelot are a profit making company, they make 1/2 pence per ticket sold.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-10-2012, 06:32   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Interesting comment, so how much percentage would you tax and at what point would it kick in?
Bear in mind that 0.12 pence of every ticket is duty paid direct to the Government.
Yes Camelot are a profit making company, they make 1/2 pence per ticket sold.
It's debatable, obviously, but how about 10% on winnings over £1 million, perhaps with the option to donate the same amount to an approved charity?
Camelot have overheads, but a halfpenny on 39 million tickets each week will keep the wolf from the door. Sadly, those poor saps who spend far too much of their meagre income on tickets in the hope of hitting the jackpot have far too many visits from their lupine callers.
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:48   #18
JFT96

Seeing the Government make 12%in the pound already, if 39 million tickets are sold then £4,680,000 is going in to their coffers already.
Camelot will make £195,000 on the same amount of tickets. Not bad really.

Personally I disagree with taxing winnings, seeing the return to the winners is only 50% of the investment.
Taxing would make it even less attractive to those who play it.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:53   #19

Sorry BG I'm confused. Is .12 pence or.12 pounds from every ticket going to him revenue? If it's the latter then my suggested rate would be too much. BTW when do you ever sleep?
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:54   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I disagree wi taxing the winnings also, n i don't always do the lottery, just if in the mood, would never be if taxed.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:55   #21
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by egg&chips View Post
BTW when do you ever sleep?
He sleeps when his craft is on auto.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:58   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I disagree wi taxing the winnings also, n i don't always do the lottery, just if in the mood, would never be if taxed.
Well, in a way it is already taxed, after all the winners have a greater spending power, buy themselves luxury goods that they only dreamed of and pay V.A.T. every little helps.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:03   #23
JFT96

No worries mate, it's 12 pence in every pound spent.
As to sleep, we'll I had a touch of insomnia last night/this morning....
Less that's truer than you know, we do have naps in flight, but not at the same time!

Old 02-10-2012, 07:16   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
No worries mate, it's 12 pence in every pound spent.
As to sleep, we'll I had a touch of insomnia last night/this morning....
Less that's truer than you know, we do have naps in flight, but not at the same time!
I knew it to be true, folk are told steel doors have been fitted as an Anti-terrorist device, in truth they are to stop the crews snoring from disturbing the passengers.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:47   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Good point - wooden top! Your spellings out again!
Get stuffed DH
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:07   #26
God Member

i watched a series on lotto winners in America, it seems that each state has different rules regarding the taxable amounts but it was laughable really that folk weren't getting the amounts they thought they were.

One of the wins was around $6m but after taxes and fees they ended up with about $3.5m. Still better than a tenner for 3 numbers but no longer the life changing amount the winner would have thought they were getting.

Winnings of any description should not be taxable. The advertised 'product' you are buying is a jackpot of £x so that is what you should receive. Woudl you be happy to buy a pint and receive only half a pint? no, you'd boycott the pub.
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:21   #27

Shouldn't any form of "income", particularly unearned income, be taxed in the same way? Taxation does not seem to stop people taking part in lotteries the States or elsewhere. There will be no reduction in the number of people taking part in the Spanish "El Gordo".
A job can be advertised with a salary of £20k per annum, but you know you will have to pay tax on it.
Additionally, aren't some of the winnings obscenely large sums? Surely they should be spread around a bit more (like Premium Bonds).
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:38   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Have no objection to spreading the obscene amounts around, I.E. more prizes etc, My objection is to taxation of winnings simple as.
Old 04-10-2012, 17:28   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Have no objection to spreading the obscene amounts around, I.E. more prizes etc, My objection is to taxation of winnings simple as.
Quit right cashy tax has already been paid by a lot of people who play the lottery, why should they be taxed again if they get a bit of luck
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 17:43   #30
JFT96

Well they are taking £0.12 in every pound spent already, so if they wanted some more out of the prize fund, say 10% that would be a further £0.05 per pound, making 17% tax on the lottery.
The Maximum Betting Duty is £0.15.

Just taking more off those who can ill afford

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..