Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-07-2008, 17:50   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Lunacy, Absolute Lunacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Another thing Derekgas .... have asked a couple of workmen recently (who did actually smoke), like the decorator, and asked if the householder would be allowed to smoke whilst he was in their house .. as this would become a place of work. They didn't appear to know, said did usually go out to their van to have a fag if the householder would not let them obviously, but you go into private property, so just wondered if you came to fix my boiler, could you ask me to refrain ? ... like the social workers who may call.
Social workers smoking kateheaven forbid
Old 25-07-2008, 17:58   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Social workers smoking kateheaven forbid
No, ya' daft bat ... just that when they call, you are supposed not too have smoked for at least ? hours before they arrive.

Just wondered if this would apply to any workmen that would be entering your home too ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 18:00   #18
Senior Member+

When HH were in (well the contractors anyway) doing my kitchen and bathroom the letter received asked that the resident did not smoke whilst the workers were on the property, I did but never received the initial pack which stated this so I wasnt in the know until i received one shortly before the work had been finished, none of the workers complained though (although I did then and still do now smoke out an open window)
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 18:01   #19
God Member

ok ... let me get this straight: the world is going to hell in a hand basket, your economy is about to take a massive dump, racial tension seems to be on the increase, violent crime on its way up, you have a govt. which is more unpopular than piles, cost of living going up, you are involved in two overseas conflicts, you have a lousy football team and the authorities can find the time to hand out bs tickets like this .... gimme a break!
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 18:04   #20
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
No, ya' daft bat ... just that when they call, you are supposed not too have smoked for at least ? hours before they arrive.

Just wondered if this would apply to any workmen that would be entering your home too ?
....If it was my house, id answer the door with a fag in my gob!!, no one has the right to tell you when you can or cant have a fag especially in your own home....now that is utter lunacy
Old 25-07-2008, 18:36   #21
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Lunacy, Absolute Lunacy.

Quote:
Another thing Derekgas .... have asked a couple of workmen recently (who did actually smoke), like the decorator, and asked if the householder would be allowed to smoke whilst he was in their house .. as this would become a place of work. They didn't appear to know, said did usually go out to their van to have a fag if the householder would not let them obviously, but you go into private property, so just wondered if you came to fix my boiler, could you ask me to refrain ? ... like the social workers who may call.
I’m not sure of the validity of this but it has been stated that if you are a smoker and you get a visit from a tradesman or official, you are supposed to refrain from smoking in your home three hours before the other person arrives.

It was also suggested, again without any verification, that whilst your home becomes a place of work no one is allowed to smoke anywhere in the house not just where the work is taking place. If you did then in theory the non smoking workman could phone the anti-smoking police and get them to come round and issue you with a fixed penalty notice.

Winston Smith how did you cope?
Old 25-07-2008, 18:37   #22

I wonder if it had been a convertible car with its roof down how it would have stood ?
banjoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 18:40   #23
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
ok ... let me get this straight: the world is going to hell in a hand basket, your economy is about to take a massive dump, racial tension seems to be on the increase, violent crime on its way up, you have a govt. which is more unpopular than piles, cost of living going up, you are involved in two overseas conflicts, you have a lousy football team and the authorities can find the time to hand out bs tickets like this .... gimme a break!
Eric you forgot to mention our national cricket team and Rugby Union, our tennis 'stars'. Oh! The list is endless. At least we have Louis Hamilton and Amyr Khan.
Old 25-07-2008, 18:43   #24
God Member

Quote:
We could (but wouldnt) ask you not to smoke, council tenants are told not to smoke in thier homes for an hour at least before a workman is due, if the workman isnt happy, he can refuse the work, if I asked a householder not to smoke, most of my customers would refrain, but new customers might take umbrage and use another company! So we wouldnt ask.
Old 25-07-2008, 19:05   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Eric you forgot to mention our national cricket team and Rugby Union, our tennis 'stars'. Oh! The list is endless. At least we have Louis Hamilton and Amyr Khan.
I have to admit I had to google the last two .... and however bad the cricket team and the rugby team are they can't hold a candle to the pathetic Toronto Maple Leafs or the moulting Blue Jays. The Leafs last won the Stanley Cup in 1967, the year I came to Cananda (and, no, I'm not accepting any blame for that), the year after England last won the World Cup.
Old 25-07-2008, 19:59   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoman View Post
I wonder if it had been a convertible car with its roof down how it would have stood ?
Exactly the same I think, Pam.
Old 25-07-2008, 20:37   #27
Passed away 25-11-09

I first started thinking the world had gone mad more than 30 years ago and every day I know it's gone a little bit madder.

Smoking is not illegal, in theory, but smoking in just about any place is banned. It makes no sense. They should either make tobacco an illegal substance and stop all smoking or they should repeal some of these ridiculous restrictions - but they won't.

They won't criminalise tobacco because the revenue obtained from duty on cigarettes is £millions per year and, of course, you can't tax something that's not legitimate. Now they also have all the extra revenue from on the spot fines for smoking transgressions. I'm glad I gave up, just to spite them.

Smoking seems to be second only to motoring as the government money-spinner. I wonder what will be next?
Old 25-07-2008, 20:45   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
I first started thinking the world had gone mad more than 30 years ago and every day I know it's gone a little bit madder.

Smoking is not illegal, in theory, but smoking in just about any place is banned. It makes no sense. They should either make tobacco an illegal substance and stop all smoking or they should repeal some of these ridiculous restrictions - but they won't.

They won't criminalise tobacco because the revenue obtained from duty on cigarettes is £millions per year and, of course, you can't tax something that's not legitimate. Now they also have all the extra revenue from on the spot fines for smoking transgressions. I'm glad I gave up, just to spite them.

Smoking seems to be second only to motoring as the government money-spinner. I wonder what will be next?
Possibly sex ... but probably breathing
Old 26-07-2008, 03:39   #29
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post

The other big money spinner is alcohol. The abuse and misuse of which is costing the NHS (and we the hard pressed taxpayer) squillions that is taking away resources from the genuinely ill.
Old 26-07-2008, 03:56   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
The other big money spinner is alcohol. The abuse and misuse of which is costing the NHS (and we the hard pressed taxpayer) squillions that is taking away resources from the genuinely ill.
Rubbish..you are really turning it out.. nowt wrong wiv booze..

Well jambutty you talk the liberties for smokers but don't have the same regard for booze....not one of "us" afterall!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..