Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-08-2008, 03:19   #1

Lunch Hour

A couple of years ago, when I couldn't find a permanent job, that I wanted, I signed up with various employment agencies and became a temp.

During this period (about 2 years) I worked for several different companies and experienced a selection of terms and conditions.

In my earlier employment, I had been fortunate to work flexible hours, therefore, if I needed a 2 hour lunch, I could make up the time by getting in earlier, or staying later. Also, if the weather was bad and I had nowhere to go, I could take 30mins and save the time for another day.

I personally feel that in order to have a proper break ie time to buy lunch, eat it and digest it and possibly read a magazine or run errands, that the minimum lunch time should be one hour. I know from my experience of temping that this is not offered by many employers, what is your experience and are you happy with your present limits?
Old 28-08-2008, 08:00   #2
God Member

Re: Lunch Hour

When I retired from the civil service 15 years ago, the rules were that you had to take a break of 30 minutes minimum at lunchtime.
I don't know whether that still applies now.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2008, 08:11   #3
God Member

The lack of flexi time in companies is where this country still has victorian working conditions.

I have to take a one hour lunch time, I want half an hour and leave work half an hour earlier to catch an earlier train but they insist on old fashioned methods. strange how the companies who who don't want to be flexible always expect you to be flexible if something goes wrong and they expect you to stay on after the normal finish time.
Old 28-08-2008, 08:11   #4

My OH who is an electrician only gets half an hour but he's used to it so it doesn't really bother him!

When I used to temp I made sure I always got my hour lunch break, but when I became an Office Manager I was lucky to get 5 mins!
MissTechnophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2008, 08:58   #5
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

My official break is 30 minutes but I am lucky to get that long, especially on night shifts when there is nobody to relieve me.

The one thing that does bug me is the 'working lunch'.

This has been adopted by lots of companies and public services (including the NHS).

In my job, I am not paid for lunch break, so the 'working lunch' means that you are doing work, for which you are not getting paid. I now refuse to attend working lunches, in my book, I am either working and getting paid for it or I am on my lunch and not getting paid.. I do quite a lot of unpaid time during the week, going in on days off for various meetings, assessments etc. I'll be damned if they are going to try and take my lunch break too..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2008, 09:27   #6
God Member

Think yourselves lucky, 20 mins for me.........(officially of course)
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2008, 09:34   #7
God Member

all my jobs when i was younger were 1 hour dinner breaks but these days most are 30 mins which seems to occur more in bigger companies than smaller ones

one company that i worked for would not let you leave your bench until the buzzer went for lunch but you had to be back at your bench 5 mins before the buzzer went off for you to come back , the job was messy and the factory was huge so when the buzzer went at say 12.00 you had to walk to the toilets to wash your hands then walk all the way back to the exit and it could be as late as 12.10 before you got to the oustide of the building due to ques for washing etc . this left only 15 mins to get your butty from the butty van , eat it ,smoke a ciggy and get back to your bench for 12.25

if you complained you got told that if you dont like it you know where the gate is

they were correct i did know where the gate was and i used it

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2008, 09:40   #8
Resting in Peace

When I was working lunch break didn't come into it, working on the road, catch a snack when possible, you just worked meals in to your work load. More often than not we would call at Transport cafe and have a full breakfast, which really set you up for the day
Old 28-08-2008, 09:48   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

20 mins officially i had fer 23 years, suited me.
Old 28-08-2008, 10:04   #10
God Member

I work flexi

I have to take a min of 30 mins but could take from 11:30 - 2:30 if I wanted. I have to fit 35 hours in and must be available for meetings between 10am - 11:30 and 2:30 - 4, other than that its up to me

I usually start work at 7-7:15, take 30 mins lunch, finish at 4 but I work a 9 day fortnight so do my 70 hours over 9 days instead of 10 meaning I get a non working day every other week to look after Siobhan/do jobs/relax/etc

Sounds good to me!

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2008, 10:49   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
if you complained you got told that if you dont like it you know where the gate is

they were correct i did know where the gate was and i used it
Well done!

Unfortunately, too many employers get away with bad practices because workers are in fear of losing their jobs, however bad they are.
Old 28-08-2008, 11:54   #12
God Member

We start from 7.30am (most come in between 8 and 8.30, except me), and book work for morning or afternoon, work is allocated accordingly, the ones who come in early are able to have an early lunch, if they have no lunch, they finish the day early, so long as the work is done, is up to them!
Old 28-08-2008, 12:00   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
We start from 7.30am (most come in between 8 and 8.30, except me), and book work for morning or afternoon, work is allocated accordingly, the ones who come in early are able to have an early lunch, if they have no lunch, they finish the day early, so long as the work is done, is up to them!
Which is how it should be in most businesses. Do you need any IT staff ?
Old 28-08-2008, 13:12   #14
God Member

geesh, you know IT covers a multitude of sins

Come on, whats your skillset? We are recruiting at my place.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2008, 13:22   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
geesh, you know IT covers a multitude of sins

Come on, whats your skillset? We are recruiting at my place.

he can type qwerty realy fast

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..