Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree75Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2015, 03:23   #61

Re: M&S Accrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
So the assumption there would be that Accy is only fit as a Shiite house???
Those are your words Dave, not mine. In times of need, that sign was more helpful to certain members of the general public, than any sign pointing to the town centre, or the shopping centre.
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-01-2015, 10:12   #62

I haven't seen the proposals for the area around the very ugly bus terminus structure and the high walls which are necessary to hide the backs of buildings but as it's usual these days to cater for pedestrians I imagine Union Street will be closed to traffic. I wonder how much money taxis drivers will lose if it is.
Lucysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:08   #63
Senior Member+

M&S Accrington

They could always sell some of the roads they think they own if they start to feel the pinch.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:20   #64
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Irene View Post
Those are your words Dave, not mine.
I know Irene, it's just me juggling an innocent phrase for some comedic gain.
Old 04-01-2015, 13:40   #65
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Well thats very odd, i'm sure Graham once told me the New bus station was a good idea.
He did but not where it is going

Here is what he said in 2011
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/937974-post8.html

He also thinks car parking on Peel Street is a good idea

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/938141-post34.html

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/938259-post44.html

This quote of his backs up what I keep saying
Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
HBC are not in a realistic position to say "Stop" and "Progress elsewhere". It is not their scheme, they are only consultee's and the planning authority (bound by laws not choices). County own the scheme with BwD, own the land, own the agenda. Geoff Driver CC Leader has refused to come to Hyndburn Council to discuss the matter..
Old 04-01-2015, 14:21   #66
God Member

so a labour county council a labour council and a labour MP cant get things sorted between them or even get talks between them going?

what hope is there really when 3 groups all under the same flag cant work together

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 15:41   #67
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

LCC has no overall majority at the moment. The Lib Dems were in bed with the Tories then from what I remember jumped ship and sucked up to Labour.
Old 08-01-2015, 19:32   #68
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Well as I said, handwringing, pleading awful, this weeks Obbo, reporting how a minor Councillor wishes to talk with M&S hoping to talk them around!

It will only happen if M&S wish it to happen, the Council know this, our M.P. knows this, that's why he isn't poking his nose in, (any chance of success he would have front page news about his negotiations).

As I've already said, thank's M&S for staying as long as you did, WHAT can we offer you to persuade you to stay?

Our Council know there is nothing they can offer, perhaps, just perhaps you may consider loyalty from the folk that had no other choice than you?

Come on M&S, stick with us, people are permanent, we need decent stores just as you need loyal customers.
Big Dave likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 20:37   #69
God Member

Just read this fro the article about the Blackburn finance chief;

Quote:
And Coun Parkinson added a messages for East Lancashire.

He said:“As councillors we should not be disparaging our neighbouring towns .

“That is a simple task. It’s just pub talk.

“We want to make Accington town centre a niche market.

“That is different from all the sameness of our bigger neighbours.”
So there is a plan then, wonder where it's hidden
Old 09-01-2015, 09:34   #70

So now I know where to go next time I need to buy a niche.

Less likes this.
hyndburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 12:47   #71
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Well as I said, handwringing, pleading awful, this weeks Obbo, reporting how a minor Councillor wishes to talk with M&S hoping to talk them around!

It will only happen if M&S wish it to happen, the Council know this, our M.P. knows this, that's why he isn't poking his nose in, (any chance of success he would have front page news about his negotiations).

As I've already said, thank's M&S for staying as long as you did, WHAT can we offer you to persuade you to stay?

Our Council know there is nothing they can offer, perhaps, just perhaps you may consider loyalty from the folk that had no other choice than you?

Come on M&S, stick with us, people are permanent, we need decent stores just as you need loyal customers.
Clare Cleary is in the Cabinet and portfolio holder for Town Centres, it's sort of her area to speak to M&S. The idea was to ask what their reasoning was, not to bargain with them as that would not only be monstrously unfair on other retailers but also way outside our remit as it's not even our building. It was pointless right from the word go as they had clearly already made up their minds but I don't hold with this idea of 'no point, don't try'.

That said, the Councillors aren't doing enough to keep Accrington alive either so it seems.

What surprises me more than anything else is that we have traders in Accrington talking the town down themselves and blaming everything on the Council. God above, never mind the acumen of Councillors, where's your business model? Bad advertising for the town ain't going to bring people flocking to the town centre.

If more people accentuated the positives instead of constantly saying how crappy everything is then more people might actually come here. I shop there every week and wouldn't go anywhere else.

And for the record, Blackburn's road system is a nightmare. For all those who have said how much better it is than Accrington just try driving there on Saturday.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 12:55   #72
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Traders talk it down quite probably cos the council have never done sod all about the undesirables that frighten pensioners by their behavior,nor have the police force, to whom its ruddy pointless reporting anything depending on who it is committing offences, the sooner people like you ken face reality,instead of defending the indefensible, the sooner yeh may just get yer credibility back. By the way if i had a business that was being affected i would talk it down.
Old 18-02-2015, 13:18   #73
Common Sense Member

Then maybe my view of the world is just different to yours. Personally speaking, I like shopping in Accrington and can see all of its positives. I can also see that shopping habits have changed and there is no miracle cure which will see the streets paved with gold as they apparently were in the 1970s, despite what certain would-be MPs are saying.

I don't see the streets awash with either drunks or needle-brandishing druggies (not that I'm denying they are out there) and I don't see how moving the bus station 200 yards and putting a car park on Peel Street is going to damage the town centre more than a retail park at Whitebirk.

I've never shopped in Morrisons and have been in M&S once (even that was only to spend a gift voucher). These places are not the be-all and end-all that they are being peddled as. If I'm brutally honest then I think that Homebase is massively overpriced and hasn't moved with the times which is why it is shutting down stores everywhere. Morrisons also did quite poorly over the Christmas period and is reining in developments nationwide, as is Tesco.

People decry Poundland and the charity shops as if that's all there is but it's not true and the ones which are there are busy all the time which proves there is a market for them. Truth be told I wouldn't say no to a Primark here myself.

I'll say it again however, there is only so much money to go around.

So here's the question: how are commercial decisions the fault of the Council?
Eric, DtheP47 and Alan Varrechia like this.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 14:21   #74
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Then maybe my view of the world is just different to yours. Personally speaking, I like shopping in Accrington and can see all of its positives. I can also see that shopping habits have changed and there is no miracle cure which will see the streets paved with gold as they apparently were in the 1970s, despite what certain would-be MPs are saying.

I don't see the streets awash with either drunks or needle-brandishing druggies (not that I'm denying they are out there) and I don't see how moving the bus station 200 yards and putting a car park on Peel Street is going to damage the town centre more than a retail park at Whitebirk.

I've never shopped in Morrisons and have been in M&S once (even that was only to spend a gift voucher). These places are not the be-all and end-all that they are being peddled as. If I'm brutally honest then I think that Homebase is massively overpriced and hasn't moved with the times which is why it is shutting down stores everywhere. Morrisons also did quite poorly over the Christmas period and is reining in developments nationwide, as is Tesco.

People decry Poundland and the charity shops as if that's all there is but it's not true and the ones which are there are busy all the time which proves there is a market for them. Truth be told I wouldn't say no to a Primark here myself.

I'll say it again however, there is only so much money to go around.

So here's the question: how are commercial decisions the fault of the Council?
Our council wastes money. They do not listen to the electorate. Ask Graham Jones or June Harrison about a £2000 Christmas Tree.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 14:33   #75
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

When i have i ever said commercial decisions are the fault of council, please highlight? I also shop in accy 3/4 times a week, mind i am usually down early, like quite a few pensioners, n i see em frequently, everyones aware the streets are not paved with gold n thats n arrogant assumption by you. But still i have come to expect that.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..