Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-03-2011, 09:35   #1
Senior Member+

March Against the Cuts

250,000 people marched through London yesterday to protest against the cuts in public spending. No doubt they all feel better for doing so, as it gave them a chance to voice their concerns.

But what real, lasting benefits did the protest achieve? Have any Coalition ministers or MPs had a sudden change of heart in the face of the protests? Unlikely.

Will it change the budgets set for the coming year? No. They are all fixed now, including all the local authority budgets incorporating the cuts.

So what did the march achieve? Well, the cost of policing it must have been astronomical, money that would have been better spent on providing some of the services that have been cut. The TV this morning is showing Westminster Council cleaning wagons clearing up the mess. Staff will be on enhanced rates for Sunday working, which again will be costing an arm and a leg. Money that would have been better spent on providing some of the services that have been cut.

And was it rocket science for the TUC to have foreseen that, following the student riots last year, that all the anarchists in the country would latch on to the protest to pursue their own, twisted agenda of destruction and trouble making? And all the headlines were about the troubles, not the peaceful march.

I sympathise with the intentions of those who joined the peaceful protest, but again I wonder exactly what was actually achieved yesterday.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-03-2011, 09:43   #2
Beacon of light

Re: March Against the Cuts

Nothing.......well, nothing other than the protesters got a chance to show the government how they feel.......it doesn't mean that the government will listen, or do anything about the cuts.

And I agree entirely about the cost of policing this protest. It has taken money out of the pot that is meant for general policing, so obviously, there is that bit less to spend on catching the crims.

So how do you get the government to sit up and listen, well the short answer is that you have to wait until election time comes around and protest in the democratic way.
Having said all that, most governments have their own agendas, regardless of what the electorate thinks......or does!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 11:06   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
most governments have their own agendas, regardless of what the electorate thinks......or does!
It surely puts the spotlight well and truly on the Liberal Democrats. Conservative voters will understandably support the tough stance of the government in cutting spending sharply, because it is in line with Conservative thinking. (and if there are any Conservatives who disagree with me on that, then let them speak up).

But how many rank and file members of the Liberal Democratic Party, or people who voted Liberal Democrat at the last election, will support the speed and the extent of the cuts?

We should get some idea at the May elections.
Old 27-03-2011, 11:59   #4
Beacon of light

you could probably count them on the fingers of one hand, and have some fingers left over.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 04:56   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
250,000 people marched through London yesterday to protest against the cuts in public spending. No doubt they all feel better for doing so, as it gave them a chance to voice their concerns.

But what real, lasting benefits did the protest achieve? Have any Coalition ministers or MPs had a sudden change of heart in the face of the protests? Unlikely.

Will it change the budgets set for the coming year? No. They are all fixed now, including all the local authority budgets incorporating the cuts.

So what did the march achieve? Well, the cost of policing it must have been astronomical, money that would have been better spent on providing some of the services that have been cut. The TV this morning is showing Westminster Council cleaning wagons clearing up the mess. Staff will be on enhanced rates for Sunday working, which again will be costing an arm and a leg. Money that would have been better spent on providing some of the services that have been cut.

And was it rocket science for the TUC to have foreseen that, following the student riots last year, that all the anarchists in the country would latch on to the protest to pursue their own, twisted agenda of destruction and trouble making? And all the headlines were about the troubles, not the peaceful march.

I sympathise with the intentions of those who joined the peaceful protest, but again I wonder exactly what was actually achieved yesterday.
I have to agree that little in the line of concrete results will be achieved by this protest. But the mention of the costs of policing and cleaning? Isn't that like putting a price tag on freedom? In the Middle East right now, people are giving their lives, many of them in the hope of getting the freedoms that you guys in the UK take for granted.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 05:58   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Isn't that like putting a price tag on freedom? In the Middle East right now, people are giving their lives, many of them in the hope of getting the freedoms that you guys in the UK take for granted.
Come on Eric , your sounding like a Kumbaya singing Joanie Baez groupie (did I mention she lives in one of the whitest enclaves in northern California ) do you honestly think "democracy" as we in North America and north-western Europe know it will work in any state with a majority of the population who practise a religion which pomises 40, or 70 everlasting virgins on an 'honourable' death . Just going from what we in North America read on Accy-web and in the British press it doesnt even work in Lancashire . How many cases of election fraud have been investigated and/or brought before the Courts in wards contested by followers of Fatimas father , and we are talking here of 3rd generation British voters .
Not being racist , but the proof is in 'ethnic' voting patterns , here in the Bay Area a Hispanic/Latino candidate will garner votes on his/her ethnicity over party alligance .
Think you know my views from previous posts on the mid east , no way can I be called "anti islam " . But its time we in the West faced up to the fact that it is a complety different culture/ideology and its time we (the West) find a way to co-exist or ressurect the Crusades, the status quo isn't working for anyone
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 07:15   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
In the Middle East right now, people are giving their lives, many of them in the hope of getting the freedoms that you guys in the UK take for granted.
Yes, of course. But alongside the freedom comes a responsibilty to use that freedom properly. Saturdays march was hijacked by people with an alternative agenda, who exploited peoples understandable concerns about the cuts. I include not just the anarchists, but also the lemmings who were parading placards arguing against any cuts at all.

And it was completely disingenuous of the Labour Leader to associate himself so closely with the protests, because by his own admission a Labour Government would have been making extensive cuts themselves this year.

Nobody came out of Saturday's march with any credit, and in a sense it completely backfired.
Old 28-03-2011, 09:32   #8
Senior Member+

Peaceful protests are great, but invariably they are infiltrated by anarchists and thugs. These marches are the next thing to football gangs - not going to watch a game but have a battle with the opposition gang.
IMHO there will never be true democracy in the Middle East, it is not their way.A friend in Saudi, Western educated and a Major in the SAAF told me:
"most people in the Arab World need a "chair", to lead them, a leader, a single person, not a group. Tribal alliances are still very strong.
My feelings are that the Army should be given experience in Crowd Control - it would be cheaper than paying for the damage caused by the rioters.
Who pays to replace the broken windows, say at Santander. Yes the Insurance Company, who then increase the premiums, so Santander pay fractionally less interest on deposits - so it is Joe Public who pays in the end.
Old 28-03-2011, 11:39   #9
God Member

i personaly cant remember a peacefull protest at government acheiving anything.

the only two protests i can think of that acheived anything are the fuel blockades at refinaries which brought Tony Blair to his knees and he had to drop fuel prices and the poll tax riots because once London started getting smashed up Thatcher had to take notice and ended teh dreaded polltax pretty quickly after that.

it may not be right but it seems the only way the government listens to the people is when somthing is done so drastic that they have no option but to take note

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..