Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree242Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2013, 17:33   #241

Re: Margaret Thatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
If you think about it, importing stuff that you have in abundance is never "cheaper" ...
Please explain.
davebtelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-04-2013, 17:41   #242
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebtelford View Post
Please explain.
Well paid jobs in mining and all the related industries ... big pay checks that are spent back into the national economy ("multiplier effect"; check it out) ... less unemployment ... fewer folks flipping burgers at below minimum wage. Lower welfare bills. More tax revenue. Etc., etc., etc. ....
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 17:42   #243
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebtelford View Post
Please explain.
Ya puzzled me too did that, but seeing in those days we could import coal for £40 a ton cheaper that digging it up here, seems the verify that
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 17:43   #244
Full Member+

It says on the news that Arthur Scargill has gone to ground, I'd love to hear his views on all the circus surrounding Thatcher. He was her adversary in the seventies / eighties so why so quiet.?
westendlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 17:45   #245
Senior Member+

Quote:
If you think about it, importing stuff that you have in abundance is never "cheaper" ...
We used to make more cars than anywhere else but the USA-they were built by British owned companies. British Leyland was the UKs biggest exporter by far.
They were badly designed, very badly built, unreliable and not cheap. I should know, I had to run quite a lot of them. Also you could guarantee that at any time you looked one of the BL factories had a strike on.
Result- people with a choice bought foreign(Japanese mainly at first) which were the opposite of everything above.
The French bought French, the Italians Italian, the Germans German. We bought anything reliable- all imports. The home market collapsed along with exports.
We now export about a million cars a year but they're all built by foreign owned companies-they're good, but we had to get the Japanese to show us how to do it(canban etc) and to re-educate and re-train our workers who can now compete with anywhere in the world for quality and productivity. And they're happy bunnies doing it.
Not importing when you have plenty of your own product- not always so simple a decision.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 17:56   #246
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
We used to make more cars than anywhere else but the USA-they were built by British owned companies. British Leyland was the UKs biggest exporter by far.
They were badly designed, very badly built, unreliable and not cheap. I should know, I had to run quite a lot of them. Also you could guarantee that at any time you looked one of the BL factories had a strike on.
Result- people with a choice bought foreign(Japanese mainly at first) which were the opposite of everything above.
The French bought French, the Italians Italian, the Germans German. We bought anything reliable- all imports. The home market collapsed along with exports.
We now export about a million cars a year but they're all built by foreign owned companies-they're good, but we had to get the Japanese to show us how to do it(canban etc) and to re-educate and re-train our workers who can now compete with anywhere in the world for quality and productivity. And they're happy bunnies doing it.
Not importing when you have plenty of your own product- not always so simple a decision.
Similar things happened in the US automoblie industry ... I remember the CEO of GM apologizing for building garbage cars. Now the US big three are making damn fine cars. Even Chrysler The krauts and the nips got it right. Build good stuff and it will sell. Put shareholders' profits and executive perks on the back burner for a while, and, in the long term, everyone benefits from a strong national manufacturing base. Britain might be short on good footballers, but the talent, let's say, the potential talent to create a strong industrial base is there in spades. It has to be developed. Is it that you guys and your government have lost confidence in yourselves?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 18:09   #247
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
....most of thatchers attitude towards mining was sheer spite and a personal battle that she wanted to win at any cost
I think that is about it really.
The unions had too strong a hold on the country and she wanted to change that.
Old 11-04-2013, 18:34   #248
Senior Member+

Quote:
Is it that you guys and your government have lost confidence in yourselves?
Lost confidence? Yes.
Lost direction? Yes.
Lost good political leadership? Yes.

Can we recover? I doubt it. I dread to think of my grandsons future- when he's old enough I'll tell him to go to Canada as I intended doing-a missed opportunity.

To get back on thread- whatever your opinion of her Thatcher saw all this coming.
Her words to BL- 'You're building crap cars nobody wants, you're filling fields with them and they're rusting quicker than an Alfa. You're factories are always shut through strikes. You're unbelievably inefficient and unproductive.Why should the British taxpayers keep pouring their money into you to see it disappear?. It's finished.'
It wrecked thousands of lives, didn't do mine much good either, but somebody had to do something, however much it hurt. The same applied to many other industries.
We were the joke of the world, the Sick Man of Europe. I suppose the Germans are still laughing at us.
KiTChener and Royboy39 like this.

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 11-04-2013 at 18:43.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 18:50   #249
I am Banned

Quote:
You need to swot up on "The Total Cost of Acquisition" Dr E
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 20:50   #250
God Member

lol just caught a clip on youtube recorded a few years ago where frankie boyle said it will be the first time in history where the 21 gun salute shoots the coffin
cashman, Eric and Lucysgirl like this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 23:15   #251
I am Banned

This lighthearted farewell to Margaret Thatcher will figure on the special Thatcher EP you can pre-order on Chumbawamba's own website (/www.chumba.com)

Old 12-04-2013, 08:10   #252
I am Banned

The intro explains....

Old 12-04-2013, 10:14   #253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
About 40% of our coal is UK mined. Coal from abroad( mainly Russia) is cheaper. Many of our mines(MOG can probably say more) were 'deep mines' which produced high quality but expensive coal. Power stations didn't need the high quality anyway.
We have 300 years of reserves, based on the high usage of the 70's and 80's so heaven knows how long it would last at present rates of usage.
Why spend a fortune re-opening or starting new mines- the EU won't let us burn coal. Two coal fired power stations closed a couple of weeks ago, they'll all be gone soon. We have no means to replace their output so we could be facing power shortages in the next few years.
What a wicked waste.

Is it sensible?
No, it's politics.
yet Germany are building coal fired stations,our politicians are crazy.
cmonstanley likes this.
pallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:19   #254
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by pallyman View Post
yet Germany are building coal fired stations,our politicians are crazy.
And they're getting blasted for even nurturing the idea
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:00   #255
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

One thought I've been toying with:-

I bet the Labour elite are SOooooo grateful they are in opposition at this moment in time.

They would be in a no win situation, if they didn't want to appear spiteful they would probably have had to go for a full blown state funeral with it's immense expense.
Though if they did, they would then have to face the ire of their grass root members for being so hypocritical.

It no doubt would have proved a rather damning situation leading to their downfall at the next election, The irony of which would perhaps be yet another Tory Government in power.

Yep, I can see them all raising a glass to Maggie for going whilst they didn't have to make any decisions.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..