Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree242Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-04-2013, 18:58   #391
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Margaret Thatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
they caused so much suffering .
Can also be applied the the USSR, they weren't exactly the saints of the 20th Century were they? I'm sure your DIL is a charming young lady Less, but there's plenty of "White Russians" here in Germany, who have failed to impress & are continuing to fail.

Since German unity in 1990, the old East Germans were very reticent initially to talk about their time under Russian control, but as the time passed more & more information came to light & into the public domain, not all Beer & skittles I can assure you.
Old 26-04-2013, 19:15   #392
Senior Member+

group hug for Less everyone.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 19:33   #393

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Actually, DtheP, it was an even better bargain than that.
The cost of the police was £2million but they would have been on duty and on pay anyway.
Hmmm..so following on logically ALL the police who were on duty at the funeral that day must be superfluous on a normal day since their was no major reported increase in crime despite the temporary increase in population and drunken celebration, and they were away from their normal duties.

£2million per day times 365 days = £730 million a year savings...thats about what they'll save from forcing people to move house for having too many rooms.

Go figure
Alan Varrechia likes this.
Old 26-04-2013, 19:38   #394
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Hmmm..so following on logically ALL the police who were on duty at the funeral that day must be superfluous on a normal day since their was no major reported increase in crime despite the temporary increase in population and drunken celebration, and they were away from their normal duties.
Or all the people the police are normally tied up arresting or doing for speeding or commiting whatever offence, the rozzers were keeping an eye on at the funeral anyway.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 08:40   #395
Resting in Peace

Quote:
How true, just a shame Gordon couldn't have thought of that, perhaps you aren't the staunch Tory I thought you were?

Unlike Gordon you can see some good in the likes of me.
First and foremost Less your a fellow drinker, that's good enough for me mate
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 13:04   #396
I am Banned

Quote:
Perhaps to pay for the concrete needed to make sure she's not part of the second coming?
Quote:
Actually, DtheP, it was an even better bargain than that.
The cost of the police was £2million but they would have been on duty and on pay anyway.
So the cost was only £1.6 million. That's 2.4 pence for every person!

Come on, cashman, I reckon you've had more than 2.4pence worth of pleasure moaning about it!
The blessed Baroness was cremated Wizz...old superstions eh? unless of course you would want her ashes poured into the readymix? That would help people to sleep at night.

Nooo Gordon it cost £2 mill' for diverting non-London police forces to the capital for the day.

n.b. The Thatcher family agreed to pay for the flowers and undertaking bill.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 14:28   #397
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
The blessed Baroness was cremated Wizz...old superstions eh? unless of course you would want her ashes poured into the readymix? That would help people to sleep at night.

Nooo Gordon it cost £2 mill' for diverting non-London police forces to the capital for the day.

Do I give a damn?

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 15:58   #398
Senior Member+

Quote:

The £2million was 'opportunity costs' for police from other areas who would have been on other duties on the day, so on pay anyway.
Only £1.1million was spent on additional security and policing.
Sources- The Guardian, The Mirror News and the BBC. Who can argue with sources like that?
Either way, well worth it.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 16:46   #399

I personally would have happily paid upto £5 for the lady's funeral. I'm only disappointed that I could not have paid for it much earlier.
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 16:48   #400
I am Banned

Quote:
The £2million was 'opportunity costs' for police from other areas who would have been on other duties on the day, so on pay anyway.
Only £1.1million was spent on additional security and policing.
Sources- The Guardian, The Mirror News and the BBC. Who can argue with sources like that?
Either way, well worth it.
I suspect these Boys in Blue from other area's crashed in the overtime working and the MET will be back charged...but hey ho agreed.... worth every penny Mr B
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 17:29   #401
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I suppose one way of looking at is shes dead,end of.
Old 27-04-2013, 17:41   #402
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I suppose one way of looking at is shes dead,end of.
You're dead right ... we should always look at the bright side.
cashman likes this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 19:16   #403
Senior Member+

Quote:
Baroness Thatcher's funeral cost the equivalent of 6p for every person.* To echo the words of Lord Bell "Extremely good value"

*D Telegraph 26/04/13
Where do I go for my refund? Her family are worth millions, her estate will no doubt be huge with all the bungs from the ciggie manufacturers, I strongly object to contributing anything to her , dead or alive, when she did nothing for me.
Old 28-04-2013, 00:51   #404
God Member

well my bit of history ,which had been proved and covered up has been deleted the truth is out there.
Old 28-04-2013, 08:18   #405

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
well my bit of history ,which had been proved and covered up has been deleted the truth is out there.
Together with all the posts referring to it! I smell conspiracy.
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..