Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree242Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2013, 19:21   #61
Resting In Peace

Re: Margaret Thatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Sue, where have I said that?
She polarised opinion in her lifetime so it isn't strange that it continues on her demise...but does that make it right?
Nowhere in so many words, but the tone of your posts suggests that is what you would like to see in this thread. I guess someone could always start another post for the I Hate Thatcher posts.
Old 08-04-2013, 19:41   #62
JFT96

To win 3 elections and transform the political landscape like she did was a magnificent achievement for her and her party.

Imho she was without doubt the greatest peacetime PM of the 20th century. Love her or hate her she had the thing that is sadly missing in most politicians - real conviction and the balls to make those convictions turn into reality.

Shame about the son though.

That said....can we bury Gordon Brown at the same time, I have personal reasons to hate the man.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 20:31   #63
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
I guess someone could always start another post for the I Hate Thatcher posts.
I thought this was one! What a sad outpouring of venom and bile.

This was the woman who persuaded Regan to talk to Gorbachev about ending MAD. She persuaded Gorbachev to talk to Regan about ending MAD. It worked. Lucky for us that's how much they respected her.
She did with the Falklands something no PM or opposition leader since would have had the guts to do.
She had the guts to tell the Union barons they didn't and wouldn't run the UK- Parliament would. When Scargill took her on she couldn't afford to lose, if she had we might as well dismissed Parliament forever. The price the miners paid was horrific and she went too far in changeing our energy policy after Scargill was beaten- that bordered on the vindictive.
When she got it right she was very right. When she got it wrong she could be very wrong. But she tried and she had conviction- she was bold, a leader of the calibre we haven't seen since.And we could certainly do with a bold leader with conviction now.
When she said something you knew she meant it and believed it, even if you violently disagreed with it. Can you say that of any of our politicians now?
Towards the end the power went to her head- power corrupts eventually. But she and her party were put in power for 11 years by the UK voters, 3 elections, so she was more popular in her time than you would think from reading some of the outpourings on this thread.
I didn't always agree with her but I sure as hell respected her as a person of commitment, drive and conviction. Rare qualities in politics these days.
A Leader- a dead one now. No need for the extremes of opinion being aired on here.
jaysay likes this.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 20:40   #64
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Why would yeh not expect extremes of opinion on even yer own description on the woman.? Its a public forum, or are you in charge of opinions now Gordon?
Old 08-04-2013, 20:49   #65
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
This was the woman who persuaded Regan to talk to Gorbachev about ending MAD. She persuaded Gorbachev to talk to Regan about ending MAD. It worked.
I wondered why I could never find it in the newsagents these days! Bring back Alfred E. Neuman!
egg&chips, Eric and Alan Varrechia like this.
Old 08-04-2013, 21:00   #66
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Why would yeh not expect extremes of opinion on even yer own description on the woman.? Its a public forum, or are you in charge of opinions now Gordon?
'I hope the evil cow went out in as much pain as possible'.
'Mass Murderer'.
'Tip her down a mine shaft'.
'She was evil'.
'Putting a stake through her heart if she has one'.

These aren't opinions, cashman!
We're not talking about Hitler, Stalin or Pol Pot. Just a dead politician who the British public put in power 3 times.
The joy of Accyweb is that no-one is in charge of opinions, not even the majority.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 21:10   #67
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Was Hitler not put in power in Germany in the 30s? Doesn't make it right. They may not be opinions to you, but they are to others, n mine are sod all to do wi you or any majority Not asking yeh or anyone to like or agree wi em, But you sure will never stop me giving em, until yeh own this forum.
Old 08-04-2013, 22:02   #68
God Member

Quote:
'Mass Murderer'.
'She was evil'.

two of those are MINE - pun intended

now shes off the death wish lets see whos next

ahh mr cameron ......(fingers crossed)

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 22:08   #69
Mog

Quote:
'Mass Murderer'.
'She was evil'.

These aren't opinions, cashman!
We're not talking about Hitler, Stalin or Pol Pot. Just a dead politician who the British public put in power 3 times.
The joy of Accyweb is that no-one is in charge of opinions, not even the majority.
Whether you liked her or not and never mind whether the tories did a good job or a bad job, whatever else may be true of her, Thatcher engaged in incredibly consequential acts that affected millions of people around the world. She played a key role not only in bringing about the first Gulf War but also using her influence to publicly advocate for the 2003 attack on Iraq. She denounced Nelson Mandela and his ANC as "terrorists", something even David Cameron ultimately admitted was wrong. She was a steadfast friend to brutal tyrants such as Augusto Pinochet, Saddam Hussein and Indonesian dictator General Suharto. in her words ("One of our very best and most valuable friends"). Also across Britain Thatcher is still hated for the damage she inflicted – and for her political legacy of rampant inequality and greed, privatisation and social breakdown.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 22:11   #70
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
Whether you liked her or not and never mind whether the tories did a good job or a bad job, whatever else may be true of her, Thatcher engaged in incredibly consequential acts that affected millions of people around the world. She played a key role not only in bringing about the first Gulf War but also using her influence to publicly advocate for the 2003 attack on Iraq. She denounced Nelson Mandela and his ANC as "terrorists", something even David Cameron ultimately admitted was wrong. She was a steadfast friend to brutal tyrants such as Augusto Pinochet, Saddam Hussein and Indonesian dictator General Suharto. in her words ("One of our very best and most valuable friends"). Also across Britain Thatcher is still hated for the damage she inflicted – and for her political legacy of rampant inequality and greed, privatisation and social breakdown.
she also kicked kittens for fun

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 22:12   #71
Mog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Cashy, that is not the issue here....it is respect for the whole family who are grieving regardless of their past.
It isn't about what he has done or what he hasn't done, it is about the loss a family are grieving for.
They have lost a mother...and you only ever have one of those...and however bad they are....you still have lost.
I cannot explain it any better than that.
Her life has to be about more than the 11 years she was in office.......but, that is just how I see it.
My mother is almost the same age and I know how I would feel if she were to die tomorrow......perhaps some of you cannot empathise with this.
This demand for respectful silence in the wake of a public figure's death is not just misguided but dangerous. That one should not speak ill of the dead is arguably appropriate when a private person dies, but it is wildly inappropriate for the death of a controversial public figure, particularly one who wielded significant influence and political power. "Respecting the grief" of Thatcher's family members is appropriate if one is friends with them or attends a wake they organise, but the protocols are fundamentally different when it comes to public discourse about the person's life and political acts.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 22:36   #72
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Rot in pieces
In the grand scheme of things that's what will happen to us all.
More or less.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:53   #73

Thatcher's achievements far exceed her negatives.

Britain in 1979 was like Greece. 6 years later it was the economic powerhouse of Europe.

Sure there were groups that got trampled on along the way, but that's true whenever change occurs and god knows change was needed. We couldn't even clear rubbish away under Labour.

Fact is she was driven, intelligent, determined, principled. Majority of the population respected her for it. I worked in the city of London during this time and the toffs got what they deserved. Prior to 1986 there was a club of elite who ran London. They walked around the city wearing silver top hats (truly, they did). She bust that up with deregulation and the introduction of electronic trading, and wider asset ownership (houses to companies). Terrible companies like British Leyland rightly went to the wall.

I come from the North, and every male member of my family back to 1700 (and probably long prior) was down a mine. Most died in their 20's to 50s from either accidents or lung related death. I'm pleased that industry was killed off in the UK in the same way that I'm happy that kids aren't sent up chimneys to clean them. Wanting to preserve industries that are clearly technologically dead makes no sense. It's like moaning about cheap overseas cotton killing Accrington. In the case of coal, just scoop the top off the surface like they do at the largest open cast mine at Widdrington.

Thatcher turned around the economy, created an economic powerhouse, put Europe and Argentina in it's place and was so popular she was freely elected 3x. Of course a minority won't like her - so far as I can see in terms of statesmen its Neil Kinnock (who never got to power because she was so popular), Gerry Adams, and General Galtiery .

RIP Mrs T.
GEaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:42   #74
Senior Member+

R.I.Pieces you old bag.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:20   #75
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Nowhere in so many words, but the tone of your posts suggests that is what you would like to see in this thread. I guess someone could always start another post for the I Hate Thatcher posts.
Not at all Sue.

My tone is one of compassion for a family that is grieving, whilst this bile fest goes on, not just on here but across the whole of the country...and by some people who are far too young to have even been alive when she was in politics. I have to come to the conclusion that this country is not only financially bankrupt, but morally bankrupt too.
The scenes of people celebrating anyones death are abhorrent to me - they are on a par with those of the muslim fanatics who did the same thing at Wooten Basset when our dead troops arrived home......they too had no compassion for the families who grieve....I was always told it was uncivilised and ill mannered to speak ill of the dead....that if you cannot say anything good, then hold your peace.
I celebrate my old fashioned, out moded ways.

I'm sorry if any of this offends the sensibilities of Accyweb members, because it seems like I am on my own here.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 09-04-2013 at 07:28.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..