Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree242Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2013, 17:07   #121
Senior Member+

Re: Margaret Thatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
One thing no other party can cancel,is the I'M alright jack, selfish,self centred society she created, Though some were probably that way before Thatcher.
You're struggling a bit here, cashman.

Are you saying she changed basic human nature in just 11 years- Quite an achievement.

Before her we were all unselfish, loving, caring teddy bears? I think not.

Have you thought of anything Labour did cancel or reverse yet?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-04-2013, 17:25   #122
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Thatcher took the free milk from our school children . Labour reversed this by putting free fresh fruit and veg in schools for every pupil.

Last edited by Neil; 10-04-2013 at 09:05. Reason: fix quote
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 17:33   #123
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:

Are you saying she changed basic human nature in just 11 years- Quite an achievement.

No i'm not struggling a bit,n yes she did change human nature a great deal wi a great many, n as fer before yer telling lies which don't surprise me, cos i said some were that way before Thatcher, you are probably a case in point.
Old 09-04-2013, 17:33   #124
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeny View Post
Thatcher took the free milk from our school children. Labour reversed this by putting free fresh fruit and veg in schools for every pupil.
That's good- someone has finally thought of one small thing. It's a start.

Now come up with some major policy change. I'm sure you can do better than free milk.

Actually, nobody had moaned about her stopping free milk so it's a good one.

Last edited by Neil; 10-04-2013 at 09:07. Reason: fix quote
Old 09-04-2013, 18:02   #125
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeny View Post
Thatcher took the free milk from our school children .
Point of order here: She cut school milk rather than the school budget. The milk was never free.
Give me books and teachers over that everytime.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 18:16   #126
I am Banned

Quote:
Now come up with some major policy change. I'm sure you can do better than free milk.
Piece in todays Guardian I paraphrase and plagarise:

Britain was battered out of the somnolent conservatism, across a wide front of economic policies and priorities, that held back progress and arguably prosperity.
Thatcherism imposed for better or for worse some of the liberalisation that the major continental economies know 20 years later on balance were for the better, and so plainly did Thatchers chief successor Tony Blair.
If a leader's record is to be measured by the willingnes of the other side to decide it cannot turn back the clock, then Baroness Thatcher bulks big in history.
Old 09-04-2013, 18:16   #127
Mog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Not those miners who threw ball-bearings under the hooves OR squirted a mixture of washing up liquid and pepper into the eyes of the police horses at Orgreave or the ones who killed a taxi driver in South Wales taking a miner to work then?
No you fool, the guys he is referring to were brave and heroic men. They worked for me and I am very proud of the commitment and dedication that they showed. Not all miners were like Scargill or one or two of the flying pickets. How dare you disrespect these guys who worked in conditions that you would run away from. These guys saved a colliery and the jobs of 1500 men. Without any hesitation and thought for their own safety and without reward. You I remember from the 60s and you havent changed one bit. How dare you.
cashman likes this.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 18:27   #128
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
No you fool, the guys he is referring to were brave and heroic men. They worked for me and I am very proud of the commitment and dedication that they showed. Not all miners were like Scargill or one or two of the flying pickets. How dare you disrespect these guys who worked in conditions that you would run away from. These guys saved a colliery and the jobs of 1500 men. Without any hesitation and thought for their own safety and without reward. You I remember from the 60s and you havent changed one bit. How dare you.
I think you need to reread my post Mog no disrespect to your colleagues in there.
But there are a couple of things we agree on though Arthur Scargill was a vain and foolish man playing with his members lives without a mandate.
Hey and I have no wish to change your perceptions of me either.
Old 09-04-2013, 18:31   #129
Senior Member+

Quote:
No i'm not struggling a bit,n yes she did change human nature a great deal wi a great many, n as fer before yer telling lies which don't surprise me, cos i said some were that way before Thatcher, you are probably a case in point.
Lies? Which of my 'lies' doesn't surprise you? I wasn't aware I'd told any. If you can point one out I will, of course, apologise.
If you can't, I will ask my second to call on yours tomorrow- will pistols at 25 paces suit you?

As for 'case in point'- yes, I always believed in kicking them to death on your way up- that way they won't be waiting for you on your way down.

In fact, I always liked the saying N.L.T.B.G.Y.D.- how about you?
Old 09-04-2013, 18:39   #130
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
One thing no other party can cancel,is the I'M alright jack, selfish,self centred society she created, Though some were probably that way before Thatcher.
Quote:

This one, its what i said. The last sentence i refer too.

Quote:
Lies? Which of my 'lies' doesn't surprise you? I wasn't aware I'd told any. If you can point one out I will, of course, apologise.
If you can't, I will ask my second to call on yours tomorrow- will pistols at 25 paces suit you?

As for 'case in point'- yes, I always believed in kicking them to death on your way up- that way they won't be waiting for you on your way down.

In fact, I always liked the saying N.L.T.B.G.Y.D.- how about you?
Yep ive always lived by N.L.T.B.G.Y.D. n it seems to work well.
Old 09-04-2013, 19:07   #131
Senior Member+

Quote:
This one, its what i said. The last sentence i refer too.**

That wasn't a lie. It was a question then an opinion, sir.
Perhaps you prefer sabres?

Yep ive always lived by N.L.T.B.G.Y.D. n it seems to work well.
Actually I missed the most important bit-' only do it FIRST'.
Old 09-04-2013, 19:13   #132
I am Banned

Use sables guys then you can tickle each other to death.
Old 09-04-2013, 19:15   #133
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Ah, the "Ode to Odium" continues apace I see. So much Spleen smeared across these pages, I can't help but contemplate our modern society.
Barrie Yates likes this.
Old 09-04-2013, 19:16   #134
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Use sables guys then you can tickle each other to death.
Each to his own- I can be quite an artist with a sabre. Used to be quite good with pistols, too.
Old 09-04-2013, 20:28   #135
Senior Member+

At the end of the day - the Thatcher boom years were paid for by the sale of North Sea Gas - now we are all paying through the nose for energy after she privatised it all. The shares are now mainly in the hands of big business not the hands of the Common people as her policy was supposed to do. Also many council flats are also in the hands of mega-rich property developers and landlords - while now all over the land there is a shortage of council properties after Thatcher banned the building of new ones. Oh yeah
Less, cashman, egg&chips and 2 others like this.

Last edited by kestrelx; 09-04-2013 at 20:30.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..