Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2010, 15:31   #16
God Member

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Thanks for the pictures Atarah. Now I want to sweets!
Old 12-01-2010, 19:03   #17
Senior Member+

Mmmmm, hearing some "Market News" today. Was being told that this "refurbishment" is going to include taking down all the stalls and putting modern ones in (the stallholders dont seem very pleased!). This saddens me, as it wont be the same to me, but .... as one outside market stallholder said, "the Market Hall is dying - if it carries on as it is, it wont be there in 5 years time. It needs something doing to it, so maybe it DOES need a re-vamp". I have to be honest, I have been in more often over the past few weeks, in view of the weather, especially using the butchers. Maybe I will carry on giving them my business, rather than going along Hyndburn Road to the big supermarkets. Maybe we all should!

Anyone know owt about any of this?

Just take a look at this photo, slightly blurred sorry, (dont know why) and look at the white van parked in front of the Market Hall ?????? - Hutchinsons Demolition!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Towncentre12thJan2010_2.jpg (519.1 KB, 40 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 21:08   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Mmmmm, hearing some "Market News" today. Was being told that this "refurbishment" is going to include taking down all the stalls and putting modern ones in (the stallholders dont seem very pleased!). This saddens me, as it wont be the same to me, but .... as one outside market stallholder said, "the Market Hall is dying - if it carries on as it is, it wont be there in 5 years time. It needs something doing to it, so maybe it DOES need a re-vamp". I have to be honest, I have been in more often over the past few weeks, in view of the weather, especially using the butchers. Maybe I will carry on giving them my business, rather than going along Hyndburn Road to the big supermarkets. Maybe we all should!

Anyone know owt about any of this?

Just take a look at this photo, slightly blurred sorry, (dont know why) and look at the white van parked in front of the Market Hall ?????? - Hutchinsons Demolition!
As far as I know the plan was always to replace all the stalls. Take a walk up to the balcony at the office end and look down, you'll see why it needs it.
Old 12-01-2010, 21:53   #19
Senior Member+

Market Hall Refurbishment

A view like this you mean? Cant see what the problem is. Probably cos some of the posher offices are moving down from the Globe Centre to fill up the "new" office spaces created and find the view not to their liking?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg april232009 001.jpg (422.3 KB, 52 views)
Old 12-01-2010, 22:34   #20
God Member

Quote:
A view like this you mean? Cant see what the problem is. Probably cos some of the posher offices are moving down from the Globe Centre to fill up the "new" office spaces created and find the view not to their liking?

That would be the one, although the photo doesn't really show how grotty it does look when you're up there. . Some of the offices are being taken by occupants from the Globe Centre, but some of them are ( or at least were planned to be ? ) retail units. I'm sure they can still retain some sort of character while smartening it up.
Old 13-01-2010, 02:25   #21
Give, give, give member

Office relocation, at the cost of retail space?

Been no great rush fron the arty farty crafts people, they said opening upstairs would create?

Oh I am suprised!

I shall continue buying my meat and fruit/veg there, at least whilst some traders survive there.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 02:56   #22

Fond memories of the market hall. I remember one busy Saturday and I had joined the masses moving outside, daydreaming I hadn't noticed a gap forming in front of me. As I came back to Earth I nearly died. In front of me, on the ground, was a huge crocodile, I swear it's true!!! I jumped back into the people behind me, to notice that it was in fact a geezer with a 2 foot crocodile head on writing in chalk on the floor advertising a traveling playgroup in town. Honest he nearly got a good kicking!!!! Later saw a 10 foot Bat with the same wingspan walking down Broadway on stilts!!! No I hadn't just had a Saturday afternoon session, well not yet!!!
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 11:57   #23
Senior Member+

Crocodiles! Poor gdm27! Bet you had nightmares for years! :-)

Apparently the old cafe at the back entrance to the Market Hall is closing in February! They are down to two staff now, people not going in as they used to! Sad innit!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg april232009 025.jpg (298.2 KB, 37 views)
Old 13-01-2010, 14:12   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Crocodiles! Poor gdm27! Bet you had nightmares for years! :-)

Apparently the old cafe at the back entrance to the Market Hall is closing in February! They are down to two staff now, people not going in as they used to! Sad innit!
used to be very busy when it was the palatine.
Old 13-01-2010, 16:58   #25
God Member

A shame about the cafe has always been a good meeting place for a brew with friends/family
Old 13-01-2010, 21:45   #26

On the surface the reurbishments look good but ask the traders what sort of contract/lease the council has offered them, to call it one sided is an under-statement.
The council can do what ever they want and the tennants cannot do anything about it or be compensated. The cafe's if they stay MUST move against a wall at their own cost.

There are many other conditions from what I hear.
Pheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 23:14   #27
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
Later saw a 10 foot Bat with the same wingspan walking down Broadway on stilts!!!
Go on, admit it...you'd been in the backroom in the Blockade, hadn't you?
Old 13-01-2010, 23:17   #28
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
The cafe's if they stay MUST move against a wall at their own cost.
Hope this doesn't mean the end of Russell's gaff - my favourite place for a brew on a Saturday lunchtime!
Old 14-01-2010, 11:05   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Hope this doesn't mean the end of Russell's gaff - my favourite place for a brew on a Saturday lunchtime!
Didn't know there was a pub in the market hall Wyn
Old 14-01-2010, 11:09   #30
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Didn't know there was a pub in the market hall Wyn
Wish there was, mate. I was talking about Russ Taylor's little cafe, just near the bookstall!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..