Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-09-2010, 17:23   #376
God Member

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Already has, as demonstrated by this article here from yesterday's Lancashire Telegraph:

Accrington market gets set for six-day trade (From Lancashire Telegraph)
Sad isn't it - being a 'Patsy' is no fun, when you are a Marlene.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-09-2010, 17:33   #377
Give, give, give member

'Neither a borrower nor a lender be.'
- Polonius

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 17:36   #378
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
A narcissist will never accept he is wrong.
Any failures will be blamed on others, even those who supported him in a failed venture will be attacked by him when a venture fails. He is using them as his sychophants to obtain the praise and prestige he considers is his right.
Loyalty to others is not on his menu.
Sounds rather like a certain Jockanese PM recently departed.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 18:51   #379
Junior Member+

Wi -FI NOT! I hear such complete and utter trash at times from the powers that be. The wi -fi is not available as of today. I must say that is almost as good as the fully let Market Stalls joke. oh and the very recent one about the TRIAL period for the 6 days , when it is built into the new Markets Regulations handbook ,which is linked to the new leases and states 6 days 9-5.very amusing!
Old 16-09-2010, 19:29   #380
JCB

Refurbishment or no refurbishment , has the Market Hall a future ?

Both the market hall and the outside market have been in decline over recent years .

Who's to blame ? People like me . I go in the market hall to get my pipe tobacco , and the outside market for eggs , and sometimes fruit .

The rest of my shopping is done mostly at Asda .

That's the trend today . I would love to see the corner shops return , and the market to flourish . But the corner shops ( bakers , butchers , grocers , fruiterers , iron mongers etc. ) have nearly all gone , because of private transport and the convenience of buying everything in the supermarket under one roof .

I can't see the market being able to compete with this modern way of shopping . Mistakes made by the Council may speed the markets decline , but I think the decline was inevitable anyway .

I regret this . I much preferred the way of shopping a few decades ago , but lack of local shops and the convenience of the supermarket have changed my habits .

So don't put all the blame on councillors , for people like me are mostly to blame .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 19:41   #381
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Refurbishment or no refurbishment , has the Market Hall a future ?

Both the market hall and the outside market have been in decline over recent years .

Who's to blame ? People like me . I go in the market hall to get my pipe tobacco , and the outside market for eggs , and sometimes fruit .

The rest of my shopping is done mostly at Asda .

That's the trend today . I would love to see the corner shops return , and the market to flourish . But the corner shops ( bakers , butchers , grocers , fruiterers , iron mongers etc. ) have nearly all gone , because of private transport and the convenience of buying everything in the supermarket under one roof .

I can't see the market being able to compete with this modern way of shopping . Mistakes made by the Council may speed the markets decline , but I think the decline was inevitable anyway .

I regret this . I much preferred the way of shopping a few decades ago , but lack of local shops and the convenience of the supermarket have changed my habits .

So don't put all the blame on councillors , for people like me are mostly to blame .
I take it you've never been to Bury market? I would advise a visit soon...it may change your opinions!
Old 16-09-2010, 19:41   #382
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizardess View Post
Wi -FI NOT! I hear such complete and utter trash at times from the powers that be. The wi -fi is not available as of today. I must say that is almost as good as the fully let Market Stalls joke. oh and the very recent one about the TRIAL period for the 6 days , when it is built into the new Markets Regulations handbook ,which is linked to the new leases and states 6 days 9-5.very amusing!
So we can take it as gospel that Cllr. Marlene Haworth, H.B.C. cabinet member for markets, doesn't know what she's talking about, and the traders in the Market Hall DO NOT have access to Wi-Fi?

Ok.

First drugs are being sold to children in there, now this.

Still, the Christmas dressing up as a Victorian Mary Ellen, is fun for them.

Old 16-09-2010, 19:47   #383
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
I take it you've never been to Bury market? I would advise a visit soon...it may change your opinions!
Bury's buzzing.

Just as Accy was, until people came along, with their so called 'improvements'.

Even Toy Town Clitheroe has a busier market than we have now.

Nothing to do with changing shopping habits.

More down to idiocy.

The outdoor market makes you want to weep, for what they've brought about...in the name of 'progress'.

Old 16-09-2010, 20:02   #384

Wi-Fi is not available or provided by HBC through the Market Hall, however individual traders have sourced their own and pay for it, or atleast we did before the refurbishments. Having moved locations and tried to get connected again at our own cost, we were told by the internet provider that the existing telephone cable that was used by us had been cut by the builders and they were unable to connect us. We rely heavily on the internet for repairing and flashing mobile phones which we now have to take away to get repaired.

We have been promised that our shutter will get repaired as they did not replace it with an electronic one as they should have done for a like for like and it takes two people to lift up the shutter every morning (Health & Safety issue).
Pheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 20:09   #385
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
Wi-Fi is not available or provided by HBC through the Market Hall, however individual traders have sourced their own and pay for it, or atleast we did before the refurbishments. Having moved locations and tried to get connected again at our own cost, we were told by the internet provider that the existing telephone cable that was used by us had been cut by the builders and they were unable to connect us. We rely heavily on the internet for repairing and flashing mobile phones which we now have to take away to get repaired.

We have been promised that our shutter will get repaired as they did not replace it with an electronic one as they should have done for a like for like and it takes two people to lift up the shutter every morning (Health & Safety issue).
What a nightmare.

The council might not be looking after traders' best interests, but be assured your customers are behind you, 100%.

It's peoples' lives, and their families livlihoods, they are experimenting with.

If people want to open 24/7, and someone will pay the extra costs, fine.

Forcing people to open, is wrong, and will probably toll the death knell for many long founded family businesses in the Market Hall.

Good luck.

We're behind you.

Old 17-09-2010, 07:14   #386
Common Sense Member

The Market Hall is clearly something of a hot potato and obviously far beyond the understanding of an opposition councillor such as myself. It doesn't help that I don't do my homework, as I was told quite forcefully by Cllr Haworth yesterday.

If you have a query, why not bring it up with the Cabinet and Portfolio Holder for Finance, Asset Management and Markets?

[email protected]

However, it did come as some surprise to us all yesterday to find that Finance and Asset Management have seemingly been given to Cllr Dobson for some reason.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group

Last edited by Ken Moss; 17-09-2010 at 07:16.
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 09:50   #387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post

I have just found out this morning that we have the opportunity to have a hard wire connection to the internet as each stall has an access point installed and the cost is included in the rent, I will be trying this out tomorrow to see if it works as Steve on the video stall has managed to get his working.
Pheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 19:35   #388
JCB

Anyone know what happened to the figures that were on top of the market on the Peel St.side ?

They were taken down when the outside of the market hall was cleaned .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2010, 19:34   #389

The Local Herald Sept10Hyndburn

Dont know if you will be able to see that.
But oh my goodness!!
Units to let????? So why are they turning people away & telling folk that all the units are let?!
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 12:46   #390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell View Post
The Local Herald Sept10Hyndburn

Dont know if you will be able to see that.
But oh my goodness!!
Units to let????? So why are they turning people away & telling folk that all the units are let?!

Having read the link, and seen the advert, is it right that the Council, who own the building, are not the letting agents?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg market advert.jpg (562.7 KB, 15 views)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..