Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2010, 17:38   #616
God Member

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by sak View Post
there are some quite nasty comments about people on here.

There is a method of reporting any comment you seen unfit
Old 10-10-2010, 17:39   #617
Beacon of light

We write about the things we don't like on here because we know that a certain member of the council will read it here......and may take notice of the ground swell of opinion.....then again maybe not.
As Neil has commented this forum is a perfectly acceptable way to have discussions about what is happening in our area...... a bit like writing to the local paper except we know it will definitely be published,not edited, or taken out of context.

Being able to say what we think is what makes Accyweb interesting......if you joined only for 'niceness'......then you are going to be disappointed.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 17:40   #618
Beacon of light

Quote:
Were any of them about you?
Old 10-10-2010, 17:42   #619
Resting in Peace

Quote:
this is one of your nasty remarks.
sorry i made a spelling mistake, i havent had enough practice obviously but i felt i needed to voice this opinion.
the people that you comment have family and friends who dont want to be reading these sort of things!
I've noticed that you have whole 2 posts to your name, I use Accrington Web every day, but when I first came on I said very little and got the hang of just what goes on, might be an idea if you were to do the same, there is always the alternative, don't read the thread, Accy Web is about opinions, some people do go OTT with criticisms, but if they go to far I think you will find the mods will have a word and in fact delete anything offencive
Old 10-10-2010, 17:44   #620
Resting in Peace

Quote:
sorry i made a spelling mistake, i havent had enough practice obviously but i felt i needed to voice this opinion.
the people that you comment have family and friends who dont want to be reading these sort of things!
Good grief if you think that's a nasty remark, its obvious Accy Web ain't the place for you
Old 10-10-2010, 17:48   #621
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Obviously one man's meat is another man's poisoned cheese.

It was posted that she was presented with a book, by Mr. Silly, the celebrity chef.

Hence the Shakespearean pound of flesh comment.

It was a stab at humour, but whoosh, nevermind.

If I found something to be truly nasty I just wouldn't read it.

I guess others are firmly in the Mary Whitehouse camp.

Sit through hours of 'smut', before working themselves into a state of outrage, and then feeling the need to tell others about the nasty filth they've just sat through.

As for Labour councillors who post on Accy Web, I might not agree with them, but I admire their bottle for engaging with residents on here.

A bigger political turn off for me personally, is yet one more party sheep, blinded to reality, because of their unthinking support.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 17:51   #622
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Anymore actual examples?

Old 10-10-2010, 17:52   #623
Beacon of light

Sak, it would be good if you could make a post introducing yourself.

As for the people who have been maligned by what you consider to be 'nasty' comments...they have an equal right to come on and defend their family.
And as has been previously noted, there is a report button for posts that you feel contravene the rules...and the mods will deal with these posts as they feel is appropriate.

I ask myself if we really need you to be an arbiter of standards on here?
I think the answer would be in the negative.
Old 10-10-2010, 17:52   #624
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Obviously one man's meat is another man's poisoned cheese.

It was posted that she was presented with a book, by Mr. Silly, the celebrity chef.

Hence the Shakespearean pound of flesh comment.

It was a stab at humour, but whoosh, nevermind.

If I found something to be truly nasty I just wouldn't read it.

I guess others are firmly in the Mary Whitehouse camp.

Sit through hours of 'smut', before working themselves into a state of outrage, and then feeling the need to tell others about the nasty filth they've just sat through.

As for Labour councillors who post on Accy Web, I might not agree with them, but I admire their bottle for engaging with residents on here.

A bigger political turn off for me personally, is yet one more party sheep, blinded to reality, because of their unthinking support.

Bit soon for Christmas G. Baa Humbug
Old 10-10-2010, 17:54   #625
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Bit soon for Christmas G. Baa Humbug
I'd sooner be hung for a sheep than a goose.

Old 10-10-2010, 22:23   #626
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Can we keep it on topic please and make any suggestions to members by private message please.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:25   #627
God Member

I sometimes wish we had the market and market hall of 25 years ago when it was really thriving. You could go down and both had plenty of variety to choose from. Then came progress starting with the Arndale when we lost a nice one level carpark. Then came the new set up which brought down the old market Isolating the market hall in a way. The few that remained ended up on Broadway further denting the shopping experience. Asda came along people went there. The market hall has tried to keep its customers but many went out of town as it was easier. Now in what I see as a desperate last stand they have done it up. Alas this could be too little too late. The place is on its knees and 6 day trading will not help it. The stall holders in there will have greater overheads with the same or more likely fewer customers. I hate to say this but I think we will lose the market hall soon as well as what is left of the market.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:30   #628

I dont think we'll lose the Market Hall, I actually really like it. I love being able to see the beautiful architecture. (and i've talked to lots of people who agree) It just needs lots more stalls! (state the obvious)

I would also really like to see some of those barrow type stalls filled with goodies in that open space in the middle for christmas. Or maybe roasted chestnuts etc. If anybody knows anyone who does that sort of thing, perhaps they would let them know. I'm sure the council would let them rent a space & i think it would be popular.
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:57   #629
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell View Post
I dont think we'll lose the Market Hall, I actually really like it. I love being able to see the beautiful architecture. (and i've talked to lots of people who agree) It just needs lots more stalls! (state the obvious)

I would also really like to see some of those barrow type stalls filled with goodies in that open space in the middle for christmas. Or maybe roasted chestnuts etc. If anybody knows anyone who does that sort of thing, perhaps they would let them know. I'm sure the council would let them rent a space & i think it would be popular.
Oh i'm sure the Council would be only too happy to rent a space out, however an incoming trader would have to sell an awful lot of chestnuts just to cover the rent!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 19:27   #630
Senior Member+

Here we go, looks like he is trying to drum up bussiness all over the place!!!
Hope he doesnt wave his knife about in Town Hall like he is doing in the first picture to get people to buy his cheese!!!

Coronation Street's Martin Platt aka Sean Wilson opens his own cheese stall on Manchester market | Mail Online
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..