Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-10-2010, 08:44   #646
Resting in Peace

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
So to cheat the figures you just need someone to walk in and out the door many times
Don't give um ideas Neil they install revolving doors
Old 20-10-2010, 14:34   #647
Senior Member+

I decided I would reserve judgement until I had seen the completion. If it is now considered complete then I am gobsmacked.
Last Friday I was in Doncaster Market - great, a real market as I remember them, the same at Bury today, and they are able to boast that they are the undisputed Best Market in the country, and the Market hall is open 6 days a week.
On Saturday I was in Accrington Market - enough said.
One can only assume that the powers that be, who were responsible for the "refurbishment", have never had the common sense to go and look at successful market operations, let alone discussed the subject.
Yes. there should be a commemorative plaque - Name & Shame
Old 20-10-2010, 14:55   #648
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
A few members of the public have already fallen either tripping on the carpets at the entrances or on the flags themselves. Dunno if any compensation claims have been lodged.
The official tally of accidents is one.

It has been questioned that eight or nine claims have been filed although this was officially denied, which means I'm inclined to believe it even more.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2010, 16:14   #649
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
I decided I would reserve judgement until I had seen the completion. If it is now considered complete then I am gobsmacked.
Last Friday I was in Doncaster Market - great, a real market as I remember them, the same at Bury today, and they are able to boast that they are the undisputed Best Market in the country, and the Market hall is open 6 days a week.
On Saturday I was in Accrington Market - enough said.
One can only assume that the powers that be, who were responsible for the "refurbishment", have never had the common sense to go and look at successful market operations, let alone discussed the subject.
Yes. there should be a commemorative plaque - Name & Shame
But did you like the crocheted art works?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2010, 16:46   #650
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
But did you like the crocheted art works?
Must have been looking the other way, think there was a guitar player but thought he was a busker
Old 20-10-2010, 16:51   #651
God Member

Well at least the Market Hall will have cleaner toilets soon, if anybody uses them. The attendants from the Peel St toilets will be resident there. God help anybody who wants to use Peel St from then onwards, it's bad enough at times when they are manned with various dropouts and druggies enroute from Abbey St to the Market Hall.
Old 21-10-2010, 20:16   #652
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
The official tally of accidents is one.

It has been questioned that eight or nine claims have been filed although this was officially denied, which means I'm inclined to believe it even more.
The Market Hall flooring is certainly more uncomfortable for wheelchair users, not as bad as cobbles, but certainly worse to wheel on than previously. I think perhaps we can see why an alternative flooring was laid over them now...it was safer, more user friendly & easier to clean!

Incidently i popped into the Market Hall this Weds, i'd forgot there was another "Celebrity" in residence that day, until i spotted a "queue" of around 5 people waiting to have either a photo or book signed by Kenny Baker. It was about 11am when i was in, and the place was very quiet!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 20:36   #653
Super Moderator

Who's Kenny Baker?
Old 21-10-2010, 20:47   #654
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Who's Kenny Baker?
R2D2

I was at Len's today and they shut yesterday. Said it wasn't worth the running costs after the previous Wednesdays efforts. They didn't pull the wool over my eyes though, I knew it had been packed because a councillor said so
Old 21-10-2010, 20:55   #655
Super Moderator

Cheers, Dave. R2D2 and crocheting, eh?...bet that had 'em flocking in.
Old 21-10-2010, 20:56   #656
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Cheers, Dave. R2D2 and crocheting, eh?...bet that had 'em flocking in.
Pretty sure crotcheting isn't on Wednesdays, some people have a choice about when they turn up
Old 21-10-2010, 21:00   #657

We're erecting a boxing ring next Wednesday for entertainment purposes apparently
Old 21-10-2010, 21:12   #658

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
So to cheat the figures you just need someone to walk in and out the door many times
In a word "Yes" I commando crawl in an out the doors tho in an attempt to rectify any wrong doings
Old 22-10-2010, 08:00   #659
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Sorry Marlene, I simply can't condone spending that much money on one person. Get someone local to do a presentation using stuff that has been purchased in the Market Hall, promote Accrington and not London.
This one just won't lie, will it? Front page of the Lancashire Telegraph today.

Old 22-10-2010, 08:04   #660
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
The Market Hall flooring is certainly more uncomfortable for wheelchair users, not as bad as cobbles, but certainly worse to wheel on than previously. I think perhaps we can see why an alternative flooring was laid over them now...it was safer, more user friendly & easier to clean!

Incidently i popped into the Market Hall this Weds, i'd forgot there was another "Celebrity" in residence that day, until i spotted a "queue" of around 5 people waiting to have either a photo or book signed by Kenny Baker. It was about 11am when i was in, and the place was very quiet!

Best Regards - Taggy
Regarding the flooring, I must admit to being quite keen on going back to Victorian roots although the doorways are a complete shambles. I understand that the remaining glass panels in the floor are having to be specially made as the moulds don't exist anymore but it should look quite good when completed.

As for these 'celebrities' trying to prove that Wednesdays work, admit defeat, just admit defeat.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..