Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-10-2010, 00:22   #676
God Member

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Cheers, Dave. R2D2 and crocheting, eh?...bet that had 'em flocking in.
R2D2, Who? Crocheting, not my thing but thought "Market Halls" were built for shopping Would be great to maybe have a poll to see how many members actually shop in or around the market area
Old 23-10-2010, 00:25   #677
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
R2D2, Who? Crocheting, not my thing but thought "Market Halls" were built for shopping Would be great to maybe have a poll to see how many members actually shop in or around the market area
I know who I see actualy shopping in the town, besides your good self.

I also know who's regularly seen doing a once a week shop in their car, at the supermarket.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 00:41   #678
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I know who I see actualy shopping in the town, besides your good self.

I also know who's regularly seen doing a once a week shop in their car, at the supermarket.
Point taken G but would maybe be a good idea to get a cross section. Would be nice to know just how many "families" actually go into town and how many just use supermarkets or internet shopping??? I know my shopping bill is minimal compared to many on here but most of my shopping is done in/around the local market. Was just wondering how my shopping habits compared to our other members
Old 23-10-2010, 08:40   #679
Junior Member+

Just wondered if a lot of shoppers walk into a shop/market and walk around looking at the floor...surely not....£8030 could buy quite a lot of asphalt...

It's alright English Heritage wanting things preserved, I'm all in favour, but to what extent...

When it was original covered in the 50's ( for the coronation I think) I suspect it was because of at least three reasons.

1) It looked a mess (maybe most of the doorway flags where damaged hence there being concrete there now)
2) Impossible to keep clean.
3) and most importantly, it was hazardous...

They say history repeats itself.......
Old 23-10-2010, 08:56   #680
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarePritchard View Post
Labour Councillors WANT the Market Hall to work, we've done a lot of work and we are desperately trying to help.
What are your opinions on what should and should not be done to make sure the market hall survives and indeed thrives?
Old 23-10-2010, 10:39   #681
Give, give, give member

I wonder if the Queen appreciated the new floor in Accy Market Hall, in her coronation year?

Old 23-10-2010, 13:50   #682
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
What are your opinions on what should and should not be done to make sure the market hall survives and indeed thrives?
Listening to people who have had 40 years experience of being self-employed would be a fine start.

You don't start up your own business to be told how to run it and what is being asked of them simply isn't financially viable and never will be. I don't think six-day trading would have been viable for market traders in the 1980s, let alone now.

Drop the rents to a reasonable price and fill the stalls, don't squeeze every last penny out of the successes and have vast gaps for crocheting and c-list celebrities.

Invest money into the wider town centre to make Accrington more attractive as a whole. The Market Hall is not the primary reason for everybody coming to town, it is simply something that many people wander through out of interest so don't treat it as being the glittering jewel in the crown and heap tremendous pressure on the traders by telling them that it is their fault if Wednesday trading fails.

The financial setup of managing the markets is also a complete shambles, crying out for some of Cameron's cuts along with other areas of Peter's council.

There is nothing particularly difficult about putting the Market Hall right but there are still blinkered Tory zealots who are insistent that Labour is hoping it doesn't succeed. Nothing could be further from the truth and both myself and Cllr Clare Pritchard have been trying to work with the Tories and the traders to sort it out but the message that Wednesdays are a bad idea is being ignored. All this arguing is simply over Peter Britcliffe and Marlene Haworth desperately trying to save face and the longer it goes on the worse it will get for them.

Please admit defeat and let the traders get on with running their own businesses.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 15:24   #683
Give, give, give member

Everyone wants it to succeed.

It's just very worrying, after the £2 million pound refurbishment, that there's so much empty space, where until recently there were stalls.

There's the genuine fear, that after trying to fix something that wasn't broken, the Market Hall will go the way of the outdoor market. Which is a sad shadow of the busy, vibrant market we had, before those in power decided to shove their snouts in, in order to 'improve' it.

Old 23-10-2010, 15:33   #684
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

the thing about the last 2 posts to me- is everyone can see it, bar the fools wi the clout. it takes a man to hold his hand up n say i was wrong, sadly we aint got one.
Old 23-10-2010, 15:45   #685
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post

Invest money into the wider town centre to make Accrington more attractive as a whole.
Would that also involve removing the stupid pedestrianisation in front of the Town Hall that diverts anyone travelling by car away, from the Town Centre?

I know that by the time I've negotiated the stop-start, zig-zag route I'm in no mood to tarry a while and look at the shops, I've already been moved away from there!

If as a local it confuses me, how do strangers feel?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 21:58   #686
Senior Member+

I went in the Market Hall today, it was easy to get around as there was only me and my daughter actually walking around, there were about 20 pensioners sat on benches listening to some god awful "artiste" with a keyboard.
I actually like the way the place has been opened up, I like the floor, I don't like the fact that it's more of a mausoleum than a market.
Something has gone badly, badly wrong.
Old 23-10-2010, 22:12   #687
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
the thing about the last 2 posts to me- is everyone can see it, bar the fools wi the clout. it takes a man to hold his hand up n say i was wrong, sadly we aint got one.
Sums everything up in one sentence Cashy!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 07:51   #688
Resting in Peace

I went in the Market on Sat and the new barber there was not too busy so thought i would give him a go as it was the accyweb meet sat night
He was good the place is very clean he is friendly and chatty and quick cutting your hair
price was £4:50p
will use him again
he was saying that there is no extra money being spent in the market its just spread over more days and most of the traders are finding it the same.
i noticed he had an Internet connection so gave him one of my accyweb cards so i hope he registers and gives us his point of view on things
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 08:49   #689
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Listening to people who have had 40 years experience of being self-employed would be a fine start.
Is your name Clare?
Old 25-10-2010, 09:03   #690
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
I went in the Market on Sat and the new barber there was not too busy so thought i would give him a go as it was the accyweb meet sat night
He was good the place is very clean he is friendly and chatty and quick cutting your hair
price was £4:50p
will use him again
he was saying that there is no extra money being spent in the market its just spread over more days and most of the traders are finding it the same.
i noticed he had an Internet connection so gave him one of my accyweb cards so i hope he registers and gives us his point of view on things
Not sure I want a person with a point of view standing over me with a sharp pair of scissors and a cut-throat razor.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..