Accrington Web
   

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!


Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!



Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2010, 08:07   #106
Senior Member
 
Alan Gilmartin's Avatar
 

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Mi dad said they had uncovered the flag floors, zoomed in they look really good, it was worth it just for that, but it looks good to me, wonder what the ghosts taders of years gone bye would have thought, old Len, etc.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-07-2010, 09:04   #107
Senior Member+
 
Taggy's Avatar
 

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Yeah the Original Flagged floor does look better i'll admit!


Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 21:20   #108
God Member
 
blazey's Avatar
 

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

I went in today and thought it looked a bit characterless and badly planned. Why are there several cafes next to each other? It looks like the market isn't getting enough business to justify the refurbishment.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 21:38   #109
Coffin Dodger.

 
cashman's Avatar
 
Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!
Addiction Solitaire Champion!

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I went in today and thought it looked a bit characterless and badly planned. Why are there several cafes next to each other? It looks like the market isn't getting enough business to justify the refurbishment.
Pretty good summary to me is that,
__________________
N.L.T.B.G.Y.D. Do not argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 22:27   #110
I am Banned
 

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Went in to day and can't say they have improved the place one bit, open spaces where stalls used to be, probably very few traders can afford the rent.
Noticed in one empty space some clown has put a display up about the Accrington Pals, there are more mistakes in it than there are flags on the market floor, people will start to believe that tripe because it was on display in the market hall so it must be true.
One in particular Basil Arthur Horsfall, Basil was actualy killed whilst obeying orders to withdraw, him and a sergeant were the last two to leave the position, and were dashing across open ground, when a shell landed, when the sergeant picked himself up Horsfall had disappeared, not died 10 hours later, and his VC is in a safe in Fulwood Museum, not in Blackburn Museum.
Some how they've put up some of my work amongst it without asking me, they've also put up a timeline for WW1 which I used in 2006 when they had the anniversary at the Howarth Art Gallery, again without asking.
Enquired at the library and they don't know any thing about it.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 15-07-2010 at 22:30.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 12:03   #111
God Member
 
Gayle's Avatar
 

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Noticed in one empty space some clown has put a display up about the Accrington Pals, there are more mistakes in it than there are flags on the market floor, people will start to believe that tripe because it was on display in the market hall so it must be true.
One in particular Basil Arthur Horsfall, Basil was actualy killed whilst obeying orders to withdraw, him and a sergeant were the last two to leave the position, and were dashing across open ground, when a shell landed, when the sergeant picked himself up Horsfall had disappeared, not died 10 hours later, and his VC is in a safe in Fulwood Museum, not in Blackburn Museum.
Some how they've put up some of my work amongst it without asking me, they've also put up a timeline for WW1 which I used in 2006 when they had the anniversary at the Howarth Art Gallery, again without asking.
Enquired at the library and they don't know any thing about it.

Retlaw.
So just out of curiosity, are the mistakes in there ones that you put in as deliberate mistakes so that you would recognise your own work?
__________________






The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 12:06   #112
Coffin Dodger.

 
cashman's Avatar
 
Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!
Addiction Solitaire Champion!

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
So just out of curiosity, are the mistakes in there ones that you put in as deliberate mistakes so that you would recognise your own work?
Does that really matter?
__________________
N.L.T.B.G.Y.D. Do not argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 13:53   #113
I am Banned
 

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
So just out of curiosity, are the mistakes in there ones that you put in as deliberate mistakes so that you would recognise your own work?
Still having a go, are we. No the deliberate mistake was in a picture on display in Accrington Library.
The mistakes I'm refering to in the Market Hall has been done by some clown who think they are a Pals expert, and got several dates, times, and facts wrong.
If you read the original post you will see that neither the Library or I was aware of the display.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 16-07-2010 at 13:57.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 15:05   #114
Senior Member
 
bullseyebarb's Avatar
 

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
The mistakes I'm refering to in the Market Hall has been done by some clown who think they are a Pals expert, and got several dates, times, and facts wrong.
If you read the original post you will see that neither the Library or I was aware of the display.
Retlaw.

Perhaps it was your nemesis, The Harrogate Tripe Dresser, Walter. Hope you plan to lodge a complaint regarding the errors, not to mention the lack of attribution.

They were still working on the Market Hall renovations when I visited in March.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 15:16   #115
God Member
 
Gayle's Avatar
 

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Still having a go, are we. No the deliberate mistake was in a picture on display in Accrington Library.
The mistakes I'm refering to in the Market Hall has been done by some clown who think they are a Pals expert, and got several dates, times, and facts wrong.
If you read the original post you will see that neither the Library or I was aware of the display.
Retlaw.
Not having a go at all, just asking if you knew where the mistakes might have come from.

The problem with all things like this is that someone in the council will have been asked to provide a display. And, without your decades of experience they'll have got the information out of books and from the internet and no doubt made mistakes - then the next time anything is needed along these lines someone else will copy it and add to it and make more mistakes.

Now, if only there was an expert who was willing to help out and correct their mistakes!!!!
__________________






The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 17:22   #116
Beacon of light

 
Margaret Pilkington's Avatar
Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Gayle, maybe they should have asked Retlaw to help them out.

I too, think that, while the intentions to make the Market Hall better, were there......I think it has failed, and like Blazey, I think it looks lost and characterless......just my opinion.
__________________
Stop wearing a wishbone where your backbone should be.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 19:28   #117
I am Banned
 

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb View Post
Perhaps it was your nemesis, The Harrogate Tripe Dresser, Walter. Hope you plan to lodge a complaint regarding the errors, not to mention the lack of attribution.

They were still working on the Market Hall renovations when I visited in March.
No it weren't him, he has nowt about Horsfall on his site.
Whats the point last time I pointed the errors on Oswaldtwistle's new memorial plaque,
britcliffe spouted off in the Observer, that if Mr Holmes would supply us with a list, he would have it checked. Who the hell is going to check it, who has the resorces or the knowledge to check it, does he really think they would admit to having made mistakes.
Pigs may fly some day, but not just yet.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 19:31   #118
God Member
 
blazey's Avatar
 

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

I will admit that I felt more inclined to use the café in the market now... well one of them... but maybe this was because I needed to make a phone call and didn't want the wind and traffic in the background.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 20:03   #119
Senior Member+

 
Gremlin's Avatar
 

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
No it weren't him, he has nowt about Horsfall on his site.
Whats the point last time I pointed the errors on Oswaldtwistle's new memorial plaque,
britcliffe spouted off in the Observer, that if Mr Holmes would supply us with a list, he would have it checked. Who the hell is going to check it, who has the resorces or the knowledge to check it, does he really think they would admit to having made mistakes.
Pigs may fly some day, but not just yet.

Retlaw.

A pig finally flew for the first time in May 1909 as Lord Brabazon took a pig as a passenger on his Voisin biplane. The pig was seated on a wicker basket with sign saying "I am the first pig to fly".
__________________
Gremlin R.T.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 12:02   #120
Senior Member+
 

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Few more up to date Market Hall photos - Wednesday - half day closing so empty of people.
Atarah is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools



Other sites of interest.. More town sites..




All times are GMT. The time now is 00:00.


© 2003-2013 AccringtonWeb.com


Page generated in 0.38080 seconds with 12 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1