Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-02-2011, 16:51   #1291
Give, give, give member

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Cllr Haworth said, "We are thrilled to have a celebrity chef of Aldo's calibre demonstrate his fantastic cookery skills in the Market Hall. it was a fabulous day with people coming along to see Aldo work his culinary magic in our newly refurbished Market Hall, now open six days a week."

Top Chef Aldo Zilli Comes To Accrington

You can't knock her for trying.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-02-2011, 17:02   #1292
Give, give, give member

'Accrington Market Played host today, to the Sci-fi legend Kenny Baker. The Man inside R2-D2. Kenny was signing copies of his autobiography for fans. Don't worry if you missed Kenny, you can purchase his book by clicking below. We also had the pleasure of Mr Andy Stone a very smiley upbeat pianist. He played old favourites and kept the crowd entertained.'

Flyers - Accrington - Oswaldtwistle - Blackburn - Rishton - Great Harwood - Haslingden - Clayton le moors - Burnley - Nelson - Colne

Sometimes, The League of Gentlemen's fictional town of surealist lunatics, Royston Vasey, looks very, very, normal.

Old 26-02-2011, 17:07   #1293
God Member

"We are thrilled to have a celebrity chef of Aldo's calibre demonstrate his fantastic cookery''

he couldn't turn it down for what they where paying him, silly woman

has anyone ever noticed that PB has a striking resemblance to Uncle Fester from The Adams Family?
Old 26-02-2011, 17:19   #1294
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
'Accrington Market Played host today, to the Sci-fi legend Kenny Baker. The Man inside R2-D2. Kenny was signing copies of his autobiography for fans. Don't worry if you missed Kenny, you can purchase his book by clicking below. We also had the pleasure of Mr Andy Stone a very smiley upbeat pianist. He played old favourites and kept the crowd entertained.'

Flyers - Accrington - Oswaldtwistle - Blackburn - Rishton - Great Harwood - Haslingden - Clayton le moors - Burnley - Nelson - Colne

Sometimes, The League of Gentlemen's fictional town of surealist lunatics, Royston Vasey, looks very, very, normal.

I wondered who helped him tinkle, in the upstairs loos?

They probably hired a specially converted Winnebago, with a tiny wee toilet, for him to relax in, before and after his appearance.

Old 26-02-2011, 17:47   #1295

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Excellent idea! I spend many a happy Saturday afternoon at the bar in the Arndale Market in Manchester. Pick a few bits and pieces, then have a few beers while watching the world go by. Accy Market should get one right away. Definitely, the only way to shop!
I haven't seen the finished product. It was still being renovated when I visited last March. Whilst a full service bar and some comfortable seating would not be a bad thing, it isn't exactly in keeping with the original intent. I loved the old outside market as well as the Market Hall. It seems that the spirit has been knocked out of both.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 09:35   #1296
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Ah, trying to confuse me now, eh?
If I was going to do that Less I'd put a shovel and a fork against a wall and ask you to take your pick
Old 27-02-2011, 09:55   #1297
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Just reading the obbo', the Queen of fantasy island claims on page 13 that the spending on the celebs 'generated 3,000 extra people' to the area, good job it was before the toilets were closed or we residents would have drowned in what they would naturally leave behind.

Could she please prove the accuracy of 3,000 people, then explain why with so many extra, potentially full bladders, a need to close toilets rather than urgently to erect new ones exists?
It's already put to full council as a question. If it's accurate then good on them, but if it's just bandying figures about as many suspect then it's not really on to try and dupe the public into thinking they've done far better than they have with the refurbishment.

I don't know how they can possibly measure footfall in the town centre with any degree of accuracy.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 10:07   #1298
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
I don't know how they can possibly measure footfall in the town centre with any degree of accuracy.
Perhaps they're taking the pee?

They measure the amount of waste water produced in the Market Hall toilets.

Use a mathematical formula, to work out how many people it would have taken to produce said amount.

Hey presto!

An accurate figure.

Which in this case we're told is 3,000 people.

Old 27-02-2011, 10:10   #1299
Beacon of light

so they didn't use my formula after all!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 10:19   #1300
Super Moderator

Had a detour through the Market Hall yesterday afternoon on my way up to the Oaklea, as I needed to pay a visit after getting off the X41. Couldn't believe how dead it was. When I think of the thriving, bustling place it used to be on Saturday afternoons 20-30 years ago. The toilets were very nice, though.
Old 27-02-2011, 10:21   #1301
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Had a detour through the Market Hall yesterday afternoon on my way up to the Oaklea, as I needed to pay a visit after getting off the X41. Couldn't believe how dead it was. When I think of the thriving, bustling place it used to be on Saturday afternoons 20-30 years ago. The toilets were very nice, though.
Now your just taking the pee
Old 27-02-2011, 10:24   #1302
Give, give, give member

Quote:
The toilets were very nice, though.
No community artists, knocking about in the 'liberated empty terrain' in the Market Hall, to comment on?

Old 27-02-2011, 10:28   #1303
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
No community artists, knocking about in the 'liberated empty terrain' in the Market Hall, to comment on?

Nope, just a few people sat round on the benches, staring into space...and there's plenty of it to stare into!
Old 27-02-2011, 10:29   #1304
Senior Member+

Quote:
Those toilets are state of the art apparently.Whatever that means.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 10:33   #1305
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
Those toilets are state of the art apparently.Whatever that means.
Are they? Just look like ordinary, everyday bogs to me (very clean and well-maintained I must say).

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..