Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-07-2010, 13:06   #121
God Member

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

I think the new look market looks great, all they need now is some decent stalls in there..............
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-07-2010, 16:51   #122
God Member

I heard they were trying to get the traders to open 6 days a week. I guess from the photos it didn't work
Old 28-07-2010, 19:25   #123
God Member

Well was in on Saturday and it was about as appealing as having a tooth pulled without them numbing it first. The feel was all wrong almost like walking into a half built shopping mall. It was empty of people and there was no atmosphere. It was like walking into a bad dream. They made the mistake of getting rid of the old market thinking something new would be better and are trying it here and there is a good chance it is going to fail as well.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 22:13   #124
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

agree with spugs, its half empty, no atmosphere, ok the work done aint bad, but its very poorly planned.can just see loads of folk trolling up those lovely stairs especially the elderly n disabled, loaded wi shopping, feel sorry fer the traders up yon, cos the small lift is impractical.
Old 28-07-2010, 22:18   #125
God Member

Err..not having been there for a while now, I'm a little confused. Is the fitting out finished or not? Are workmen still in there constructing market stalls?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 22:35   #126
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Err..not having been there for a while now, I'm a little confused. Is the fitting out finished or not? Are workmen still in there constructing market stalls?
Its a bit like Stanley T, nobody really knows.
Old 28-07-2010, 22:50   #127
God Member

What? O'Neil is in charge of the Market Hall redevelopment?
Old 28-07-2010, 22:56   #128
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
What? O'Neil is in charge of the Market Hall redevelopment?
Dunno, but sure looks like it.
Old 28-07-2010, 23:13   #129
God Member

We will know for certain when we get an official announcement that everything will be completed in a '..matter of days'.
Old 31-07-2010, 10:26   #130
Senior Member+

Just been in the Market Hall. I have to say it is definitely "growing on me", BUT ...... what loud music I walked into! Someone, in their wisdom, has put a gentleman playing an electric piano/organ, in the centre of the empty floor, but its so loud, and so old fashioned sounding! No disrespect to him or his playing, but the centre of the Market Hall is NOT the place for him. All it needs is some piped, pleasant background music. The stallholders can't hear what the customers are asking for!
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 11:20   #131
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Just been in the Market Hall. I have to say it is definitely "growing on me", BUT ...... what loud music I walked into! Someone, in their wisdom, has put a gentleman playing an electric piano/organ, in the centre of the empty floor, but its so loud, and so old fashioned sounding! No disrespect to him or his playing, but the centre of the Market Hall is NOT the place for him. All it needs is some piped, pleasant background music. The stallholders can't hear what the customers are asking for!
I think you're right Atarah.I'm all for live music, and it was worth trying as an experiment. But it just doesn't work in the market hall in my opinion.

There's to many empty spaces,and I know its not easy, but we do need more stalls.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 13:48   #132
Beacon of light

I think that Spuggie has hit the nail on the head. Couldn't have put it better myself.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 17:36   #133
God Member

Quote:
Good job they didnt put a bag pipe player in there then.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 17:56   #134
God Member

Quote:
I must confess to being a little puzzled by this remark. Surely the last thing we now want in Accy's market hall - which is one of the three jewels in the town's crown - is some pathethic musak played over some squeaky set of electronic speakers.

This place is not the ASDA or some other similar shopping hell for the mentally subnormal as they go in search of cans of spam, bacon fry or similar reconstituted meat slurry; it is a place of contemplation followed by economic activity, i.e. a market hall.

Surely the music played should therfore match it's history and as such something like a string quartet knocking out Elgar's, Mendelssohn's and Vaughn William's greatest hits would be far more appropriate?
Old 31-07-2010, 18:57   #135
God Member

i was in there yet again this afternoon, yeah it looks ok but it also looks like no one can afford to rent stalls, there's so much empty space it looks like people have just abandoned it, the best thing in there is Slacks butchers
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..