Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By DaveinGermany
  • 1 Post By cashman
  • 1 Post By DaveinGermany
  • 1 Post By monkey hanger

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-02-2021, 17:55   #1

Market pavilion

I see HBC have granted planning permission to demolish one of the outside market pavilions to make 52 parking spaces. I wouldnt have thought further parking was needed in the town. I cant remember the last time I went into Accy and couldnt park.
The intention is to " create a smaller, more bustling outside market area."
We 'll see.
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-02-2021, 18:13   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Market pavilion

it dont shock me at all H.B.C. showed people how stupid they are years ago.
Old 26-02-2021, 19:25   #3
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Why do they need more parking when less & less folk are going into the Town & on top of that didn't they recently make a bigger bus park/terminal to get more people into the place without clogging the roads up with cars?

Kinda defeats the reasoning of the bus terminal, think someone may be trousering something from someone for "beneficial services" to my thinking.
cashman, taddy and monkey hanger like this.
Old 26-02-2021, 19:50   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Why do they need more parking when less & less folk are going into the Town & on top of that didn't they recently make a bigger bus park/terminal to get more people into the place without clogging the roads up with cars?

Kinda defeats the reasoning of the bus terminal, think someone may be trousering something from someone for "beneficial services" to my thinking.
that sounds very promising to me dave doubt if anyones that stupid?
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 27-02-2021, 09:42   #5
God Member

stupidy and council plans that no one wants seem to go hand in hand and not just in accrington. one thing about a visit to accrington is that parking is easy to find with plenty of spaces available even on a weekend. to make anywhere nowadays more bustling means they would stay away as its too crowded for many and it will take years before many will to actually want to be in a crowded area even if the virus went away tonight.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 17:17   #6
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

All that said though MH, I tend to do more of my "kit" shopping online now, the supermarkets, bakers & butchers get visited for my groceries. I was out today & I wanted a dustpan & brush plus a WIFI booster, all the places that sell them are locked down & the biggere supermarkets that have such things were all empty shelves.

So it looks like I'll be going back online again to get these things, now if I'm doing this & I'm only one person, how many other folk will be taking the same actions? Many shops I think will not be re-opening their doors when all this crap is over, folk have formed new routines & habits due to lockdown & I personally believe these patterns will continue even when a form of normalcy returns.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 28-02-2021, 10:29   #7
God Member

Quote:

Many shops I think will not be re-opening their doors when all this crap is over, folk have formed new routines & habits due to lockdown & I personally believe these patterns will continue even when a form of normalcy returns.
people have been forced into new routines but have been doing it now for so long they have got used to the idea. think people will be in for a shock when eventually things are normal again. there will be so many shops and pubs that will never open again and we cannot be blamed for losing em because we did not use em this time around.
DaveinGermany likes this.
Old 28-02-2021, 14:45   #8
Beacon of light

Not only are they taking half of the Market pavilions to make more car parking...they are talking about knocking down the Arndale to make space for houses.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.u...space-housing/

so why the need for extra car parking spaces when there will be nothing to go into Accrington for?

They should have left the bus station in Peel street.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:32   #9
God Member

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1250953]Not only are they taking half of the Market pavilions to make more car parking...they are talking about knocking down the Arndale to make space for houses.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.u...space-housing/

so they want to mix housing with retail. really mean that so many mistakes and wrong schemes have been developed over the last 60 years so we,ll get back to how things used to be in most smaller towns in the country. in stockton they are talking about demolishing one side of their high street, the busy side, just to open the town up with a view of the river tees. these people next will be asking for your vote.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:39   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

the new bus station is a complete JOKE. agree they should never have moved it, i am near sure a backhander was involved in that, you even have to pay to use the toilet yon, many older people need a toilet facility, there was no thought given for older residents when they decided to move it, no-one will convince me different,
Old 01-03-2021, 11:30   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
the new bus station is a complete JOKE. agree they should never have moved it, i am near sure a backhander was involved in that, you even have to pay to use the toilet yon, many older people need a toilet facility, there was no thought given for older residents when they decided to move it, no-one will convince me different,
like all these decisions, where the people that really matter consulted in any way. those who actually use buses. they,d be the last ones to have a say in it.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:41   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

not to my knowledge.
Old 02-03-2021, 01:18   #13

Quote:
All that said though MH, I tend to do more of my "kit" shopping online now, the supermarkets, bakers & butchers get visited for my groceries. I was out today & I wanted a dustpan & brush plus a WIFI booster, all the places that sell them are locked down & the biggere supermarkets that have such things were all empty shelves.

So it looks like I'll be going back online again to get these things, now if I'm doing this & I'm only one person, how many other folk will be taking the same actions? Many shops I think will not be re-opening their doors when all this crap is over, folk have formed new routines & habits due to lockdown & I personally believe these patterns will continue even when a form of normalcy returns.
I haven't been in a shop since returning to the UK either. Parking is irrelevant to me too as I take Taxi's all over the place. Have done for Years.
skuta is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..