Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2003, 13:52   #1
God Member

Post "Massive Hole in Finances"

I've just been reading the Telegraph Website.....just what is going on with Hyndburn Council with a hole in their finances of £1.8m from a budget of £11m? Where has the money gone - Accy Stanley?

Anyone got any ideas on this? I am being serious!
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-12-2003, 13:58   #2
adi

Post Re: "Massive Hole in Finances"

Not sure Tealeaf - although 1.8m is a serious amount of money.

I'll have both the Observer and the Telegraph waiting on me doorstep when I get home so hopefully we'll be able to know a little more.

Very worrying though.
adi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 14:31   #3

One thing's for sure, it will have to go on the Community Charge and we will end up paying it.
Nessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 14:51   #4
God Member

They're talking about a 10% rise just to cover the deficit, never mind for inflation & increased committments....
Old 05-12-2003, 14:56   #5
adi

10% - my council tax went up 9% this year.

that'll be nearly a 1/5th in two years - thats criminal
adi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 15:04   #6

Thought a Government minister was saying they would cap councils if they put the charge up too much?
Nessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 15:14   #7
God Member

Well, it's all on the Telegraph site - if you ain't got a hard copy, which I obviously don't have. What gets me is that the council have their own accountants, their own internal auditors & external auditors and accountants...this overspend has been going on for months and they've only just found it now.

We never had this problem when the council was run by a town clerk & the clerk of works.......these day's it's all CEO's and piles of other fancy titles....the more bums on seats picking their nose, the better for them (Ooops.....I don't think the Accy Link is ever going to be restored now...)
Old 05-12-2003, 15:19   #8
Senior Member+

I would think if the councilors did not claim expences for what they do, they would save a large amount of money.The councilor of my ward is Malcolm Pritchard who does not claim any money for what he does.It's a pity more councilors are not like him.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:07   #9
Senior Member+

Wo Janet a non paid councillor very rare

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..