Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-12-2009, 13:52   #16
Beacon of light

Re: Maybe I'm just old-fashioned but...

and that, Wynonie, just illustrates why there are few altar BOYS....they were all out last night emulating their fathers and forefathers......getting 'popped up'......then patched up, and possibly locked up...until they sobered up
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-12-2009, 15:28   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
You're pondering over the rites of the Catholic Church at 1.48 on Christmas morning? When I was your age, this time on a Christmas morning would find me lying bleeding and battered in the snow after being ejected from some sleazy nightclub, retching up the 20 whisky and cokes I'd previously consumed.

You youngsters just don't know how to enjoy yourselves!
Yes, I never go out over the christmas period, it's a time for family. I spend enough time at University drinking and being merry.

I guess it was just the shock of seeing it. I'm not really the biggest fan of modernising the church. And I don't have a problem with women in most other roles, but I see very little point in reasoning with things in that way all the time. Different jobs have different requirements. Another job role that I have a strong opinion of is teaching, in that I think life experience should be a requirement of the job instead of lots of graduates doing their PGCE because they can't get any other job and think it's an easy way of getting into a career. Obviously some young people have always wanted to be teachers, but in my experience it is always the older teachers who have been in other professions prior to qualifying which have had the best effect on me. Again, another thing that people will differ in opinions on.

Also, out of interest, if the catholic church was to allow female priests, how would we address them? Obviously 'Father' isn't quite fitting and I can't imagine calling them 'Mothers', and I'd be really disappointed if we started using the term 'vicar'...

Anyway, another point that was raised was money. Whilst the Catholic church may generally be wealthy, most local churches around here don't have much money and are often cold, draughty and in need of some TLC. I think the use of girls was more a case of a lack of boys wanting to do it and desperation to find the help, rather than trying to look more attractive to people to gain money.

That's just my opinion anyway. Merry Christmas everyone. I'm going to go back downstairs before I get shouted at for being unsociable.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 15:59   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

merry christmas blaze hope ya have a great un, i don't like idea of callin em vicars jurys out wi me about women priests but what i said about altar girls to me is very sad, but more than a grain of truth in it.
Old 25-12-2009, 16:55   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
merry christmas blaze hope ya have a great un, i don't like idea of callin em vicars jurys out wi me about women priests but what i said about altar girls to me is very sad, but more than a grain of truth in it.
I don't think priests are any more or less likely to be paedophiles depending on the gender of the children helping out on the altar.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 17:02   #20
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Anyway, another point that was raised was money.
I was in Church yesterday, its very rare for me to visit (I don't think I believe in God and I don't believe he is a good person if he does exist so avoid Church so as not to be a hypocrite) but my children attend weekly and were in the nativity play.

I made a point of not putting any money in the retiring collection but that is for personal reasons to do with that particular Church. Anywhere else and I would have done. I try to respect other peoples religious views, I know it might be hard for you to think I would but I do
Old 25-12-2009, 17:32   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I was in Church yesterday, its very rare for me to visit (I don't think I believe in God and I don't believe he is a good person if he does exist so avoid Church so as not to be a hypocrite) but my children attend weekly and were in the nativity play.
you are aware that after you get them into a good school you dont have to keep sending them to church arnt you? , but it does help to send them for a few months before secondary school if you want them to get into st christophers or mount carmel lol

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 17:58   #22
I am Banned

I keep copies of this behind the front door and hand them to Jehova's witnesses and other religious fanatics when they ring the bell.

I haven't had any callers this past year.

Retlaw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Religion.jpg (257.1 KB, 16 views)
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 17:59   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey
if the catholic church was to allow female priests, how would we address them? Obviously 'Father' isn't quite fitting and I can't imagine calling them 'Mothers'
Nothing to do with the church but I've often wondered whether females should graduate as Spinsters or Mistresses of Arts/Science.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 18:13   #24
God Member

maybe you are an old fashioned Catholic..like burning protesters, banishing the poor from the church because they are skint, outlawing the use of contriception at a time when AID'S is prevelant,,yet you moan about women priest's!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 20:20   #25
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
you are aware that after you get them into a good school you dont have to keep sending them to church arnt you? , but it does help to send them for a few months before secondary school if you want them to get into st christophers or mount carmel lol
Its not the kids that have to go to Church for that, its the parents
Old 25-12-2009, 21:46   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Its not the kids that have to go to Church for that, its the parents
yet parents of muslim children dont have to go to a christian church to get their kids into these schools

its about time all church schools were abolished and everyone treated the same reagrdless if they believe in god or not

anyway now isnt the time to be talking about religion its prezzi day

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 25-12-2009, 21:49   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
yet parents of muslim children dont have to go to a christian church to get their kids into these schools

its about time all church schools were abolished and everyone treated the same reagrdless if they believe in god or not

anyway now isnt the time to be talking about religion its prezzi day
Blazey started it.
Old 25-12-2009, 22:14   #28
God Member

Quote:
Blazey started it.
well theres a time and a place for religion and christmas day is neither of them

Old 25-12-2009, 22:17   #29
God Member

Quote:
Blazey started it.
yep..it's all Blazey's fault ..causing trouble n aggro about priests and stuff,,
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 22:40   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
yep..it's all Blazey's fault ..causing trouble n aggro about priests and stuff,,
Yep,fair play to the lass, she'll do fer me.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..