Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-12-2009, 00:48   #1
God Member

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned but...

... I went to mass tonight and the alter boys were mostly female. And they were referred to as 'helpers' or something. Now, perhaps I'm being too old fashioned but it made me feel a bit disappointed, especially when the priest said that the number of priests was rapidly declining as well. I really don't want to see female priests, because it just isn't right.

What are your views on this? I'm guessing that a lot of people who aren't catholic will wonder what my problem is and disagree with me, but even catholics are bound to disagree on the issue I should imagine.

Now in all honesty, I can't give a real justification for why I feel this way, perhaps it is just because that is the way it has always been and I just don't think these roles are for women. But something has to still be said for traditional ways of doing things, in my opinion.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-12-2009, 01:40   #2
God Member

Re: Maybe I'm just old-fashioned but...

You don't like the idea of female priests, but I bet you have no problem with female MP's, female Prime Ministers or Presidents.. or any other profession that actually make laws for the human race..so you are correct..you have no justification in your post.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 08:11   #3
God Member

its all this political correctness, equal rights and all that
Old 25-12-2009, 08:58   #4
God Member

Nowt wrong with a bit of religious totty for us blokes.....................(the priests that is)

Merry Christmas everyone
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 09:09   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Now in all honesty, I can't give a real justification for why I feel this way, perhaps it is just because that is the way it has always been and I just don't think these roles are for women. But something has to still be said for traditional ways of doing things, in my opinion.
If you believe that the Bible is the word of God and how He wants us to live our lives then you are right. Woman should not give service, it says so in several places in the Bible. You must have been paying attention in Bible class

It is not a case of tradition. It is a case of doing what God wants.

I could quote the relevant scriptures but I have an xbox to set up.
Old 25-12-2009, 09:26   #6
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
If you believe that the Bible is the word of God and how He wants us to live our lives then you are right. Woman should not give service, it says so in several places in the Bible. You must have been paying attention in Bible class

I could quote the relevant scriptures but I have an xbox to set up.
As far as I remember the only leaders of organised religion mentioned in the Bible were Jewish.

The Roman Catholic church was still some years off being founded, and the Romans were too busy at the time of Jesus persecuting and sentencing to death those they opposed.

All the Catholic traditions came many centuries after the death of Jesus. Priests, and even Popes, were at one time allowed to marry, and father children, until it was decided the church would become richer if priests left no heirs to inherit their worldly possessions.

Perhaps they should look again at their post Jesus traditions, and allow priests to marry, or even be female. Perhaps it might deter some people from using the church as a cover for their evil wickedness.

BBC News - Two more Catholic bishops resign

Last edited by garinda; 25-12-2009 at 09:29.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 09:57   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
All the Catholic traditions came many centuries after the death of Jesus. Priests, and even Popes, were at one time allowed to marry, and father children, until it was decided the church would become richer if priests left no heirs to inherit their worldly possessions.
I did not say I agreed with Catholic traditions, probably why I am not Catholic (well one of the reasons anyway )

I did say this though

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/neil/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/neil/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]
Quote:
And this

Quote:
If you believe that the Bible is the word of God and how He wants us to live our lives
For me it all depends if you do believe the Bible tells us how to live.
Old 25-12-2009, 10:12   #8
Give, give, give member

Yes I'm sure there are some people who think the Bible should be taken quite literally, stoning to death adulterers etc etc. All I'm saying that the traditions of most Christian churches came about many centuries after the death of Jesus, and besides the Eucharist, he gave little instructions as to how the Christian church should be run.

Though he did make it clear about the chuch not being used to provide commercial wealth, by turning over the tables in the temple, and the rich man/camel/eye of a needle quote, mentioned in Matthew, Mark, and Luke. Something some churches seem to have disregarded.

Last edited by garinda; 25-12-2009 at 10:14.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 10:42   #9
Resting in Peace

Well I'm a Red Neck and an ex alter BOY but I don't have a problem with Girl alter servers or priests for that matter. One thing I think the Catholic Church will have to relent to is allowing priests to marry. As blazey said Father John said the very few priests are being ordained I think only 3 in the Salford diocese this year, we have already seen Sacred Heart close and there is talk of a total reorganisation of the RC church in Hyndburn with maybe only 2 Churches being left to cater for everybody. Doesn't seem that long ago when there were 4 Sunday masses 8am 9am 10am and sung mass at 11am plus 6-30 on Saturday at every church
Old 25-12-2009, 10:51   #10
Beacon of light

Churches have evolved over the years.....and the evolution reflects the changes in society.
Now many people live their lives without being touched by organised religion, and religion is looking for ways to attract back to its fold, the populace.
Maybe it is as a result of that, that there are female servers in the catholic church.
I really don't have any feelings about it either way.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 11:20   #11
God Member

In most cases religion is sexist, hypocritical, self serving, dictatorial, greedy, self serving. political meddlers, arrogant and so out of touch they might as well be on Mars. That's just a few things .

By not allowing priests to marry any worldly goods end up with the church making it richer.

The churches have evolved but not fast enough to keep up with modern ways.

The hiding behind the church when up to serious criminal acts then covered for shows the disregard that the church has for the law. Do as I say not as I do should be their motto.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 11:35   #12
Beacon of light

Historically, churches were male dominated and many still are.....and as for the evolution angle, well, it has always been a slow process because of the desire to cling onto traditions and in some cases hindered by adherence to religious tenets.

However much you dislike religion and for whatever reasons, there will always be those who will gain comfort and support from religion, and also from the rules and guidelines that these religions promote.

Faith can be a great uplifter to some, and a beacon to others........it is purely personal choice.
Live and let live.
Old 25-12-2009, 11:38   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Girl alter servers can only be a good thing,less chance of being interferred with.
Old 25-12-2009, 12:37   #14
Beacon of light

I guess that is one way of looking at it.
Old 25-12-2009, 12:46   #15
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
... I went to mass tonight and the alter boys were mostly female. And they were referred to as 'helpers' or something. Now, perhaps I'm being too old fashioned but it made me feel a bit disappointed, especially when the priest said that the number of priests was rapidly declining as well. I really don't want to see female priests, because it just isn't right.

What are your views on this? I'm guessing that a lot of people who aren't catholic will wonder what my problem is and disagree with me, but even catholics are bound to disagree on the issue I should imagine.

You're pondering over the rites of the Catholic Church at 1.48 on Christmas morning? When I was your age, this time on a Christmas morning would find me lying bleeding and battered in the snow after being ejected from some sleazy nightclub, retching up the 20 whisky and cokes I'd previously consumed.

You youngsters just don't know how to enjoy yourselves!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..