Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2008, 13:08   #16

Re: McCain's Running Mate.... no surprises

Nice looking bird though !!!
archiveuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-09-2008, 14:36   #17
God Member

For a bible-bashing fundamentalist, she has given her kids some strange Christian names. Last time I looked in the good book and searched google I was unable to find any reference to a St Bristol or a St Twigg. Maybe there is an Alaskan version of the Bible whereby anglicised names are translated into Inuit or whatever the lingo is they speak up there.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 16:20   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
Only if one reasons like a petulant child. Berty is senile. He didn't prove a thing.
Interesting. And which of his works are you that familiar with that lead you to this critical assessment
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 17:41   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
This Alaska thing - is that a bit like Scotland wanting to break away from the rest of the UK? Did she address them for or against?
I have no knowledge on this beyond a strapline in the news but I presume the media are inferring that Palin supported the Russians' wishes to reclaim Alaska... non-patriotism, Commy supporting etc.
That means nothing to me however. She, along with McCain and Bush are claiming that the war in Iraw is 'the will of God'. I do not understand why that doesn't put the utmost fear into everyone. The leader, and potential leaders, of the most powerful country on the planet are completely, categorically, insane.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 17:43   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Interesting. And which of his works are you that familiar with that lead you to this critical assessment
I studied his works at A level.
Old 04-09-2008, 18:33   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
I studied his works at A level.
So, your profound analysis of one of the foremost thinkers of the twentieth century leads you to such a ludicrous conclusion as "petulant child"?

A little learning is a dangerous thing.
Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring:
There, shallow draughts intoxicate the brain,
And drinking largely sobers us again.

But you probably studied Pope at A level too.
Old 04-09-2008, 18:38   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiveuk View Post
Nice looking bird though !!!
suppose she aint that bad,if yer not fussy.
Old 04-09-2008, 18:46   #23
God Member

Quote:
So, your profound analysis of one of the foremost thinkers of the twentieth century leads you to such a ludicrous conclusion as "petulant child"?
This is absurd, I shouldn't even make a reply.
I made a short, obviously flippant remark of my opinion on Russell's work. My opinion is of Russell's brand of analytic philosophy, not of the man himself, not even of his entire body of work. In my view Russell paved the way for what we have in modern philosophy today; everyone deliberating over the meaning of the word disagreement rather than solving the problem.
Old 04-09-2008, 19:02   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
suppose she aint that bad,if yer not fussy.
C'mon ... when you reach our age "fussy" is not an option
Old 05-09-2008, 16:08   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I'm curious about point 1. She has personal views of family values as I do but she can only hope to influence her daughter as I hope to influence mine. She cannot control everything the girl does. The daughter has her own mind. And as most parents know if you push too hard all you get is rebellion. I notice that she hasn't thrown her daughter out on the streets with the old fashioned "Never darken my door again!" ringing in her ears. I would say her reaction, although probably upset by the situation, has been one of Christian values caring for her daughter. After all Jesus said we should despise the sin but love the sinner.

Don't know enough about the firing of her brother-in-law or the circumstances surrounding it so I won't say anything more on that. (lol, I sound like Forrest Gump!)

This Alaska thing - is that a bit like Scotland wanting to break away from the rest of the UK? Did she address them for or against?
Thanks Willow. You are the first on this thread to offer any perspective.

Since Governor Palin was nominated by Senator McCain to be his VP, many scurrilous reports have been circulated by the media.

The issue of the former brother-in-law is currently under investigation. This was requested by Governor Palin in light of accusations made against her. From what I have read, her former brother-in-law was not a particularly nice person. He threatened both her sister and father. Used a taser on his 10 years old stepson and was caught drinking alcohol in his patrol car, (he was a state trooper.)

At this moment, it would seem that Governor Palin has revitalized Senator McCain's campaign, since many Republicans had decidedly mixed feelings about him. That may change over the next few weeks. I never predict the outcome of elections because anything can happen - and usually does.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 16:22   #26
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
C'mon ... when you reach our age "fussy" is not an option
speak fer yerself mate.
Old 05-09-2008, 16:34   #27
God Member

Unlike Clinton - she DID inhale
VIP Sarah Palin
According to an August 6, 2006 article in the Alaska Daily News, current Alaska Governor Sarah Palin has smoked marijuana. "I can't claim a Bill Clinton and say that I never inhaled," she told the paper. She added that she didn't like it and doesn't smoke it now. (Politicians seem to be the only creatures who don't like smoking pot. How convenient.)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 19:28   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
speak fer yerself mate.
unfortunately, I am speaking for myself
Old 05-09-2008, 19:29   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Unlike Clinton - she DID inhale
VIP Sarah Palin
According to an August 6, 2006 article in the Alaska Daily News, current Alaska Governor Sarah Palin has smoked marijuana. "I can't claim a Bill Clinton and say that I never inhaled," she told the paper. She added that she didn't like it and doesn't smoke it now. (Politicians seem to be the only creatures who don't like smoking pot. How convenient.)
People are still getting it wrong: Bill Clinton did not exhale
Old 05-09-2008, 19:44   #30
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Bill Clinton did not exhale
Neither did Monica Lewinsky.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..