Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2008, 19:52   #31
God Member

Re: McCain's Running Mate.... no surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Neither did Monica Lewinsky.
This has got to stop before we start dicussing cigars
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-09-2008, 17:11   #32
God Member

reading this ...http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/06/us...syahoo&emc=rss it seems Ms Palin has a lot in common with the religious nuts in the middle east
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 17:25   #33
God Member

Try googling on Obama's mad priest, the Reverand Jerimiah Jackson (jnr). He makes Mrs Palin's pastor look positively sane.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 21:46   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
But you probably studied Pope at A level too.

What, our local MP is on the A level syllabus now!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 21:49   #35
God Member

Actually, on a serious note - slightly! In the UK most prospective MPs try to play down their religion, it's almost like anyone who claims to be a specific religion or devout in any way is considered a crank and not necessarily likely to be a good MP yet in America it seems to be one of the deciding factors and a really big thing.

It's almost as though only 'Christians' vote in America.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 18:21   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Actually, on a serious note - slightly! In the UK most prospective MPs try to play down their religion, it's almost like anyone who claims to be a specific religion or devout in any way is considered a crank and not necessarily likely to be a good MP yet in America it seems to be one of the deciding factors and a really big thing.

It's almost as though only 'Christians' vote in America.
It does seem that way. But it is only in some parts of the US that fundamentalist chrisitianity is a factor ... like in the Bible Belt. But in many cases, it is not a "deciding factor", but a fundamental hypocrisy, a sort of born-again pc-ism. In practice, many American politicians who have run on a platform of "christian values" are the ones who get caught with their pants down, quite often literally. What is really troubling is that christianity in extreme forms seems to have become inseparable from "manifest destiny", and, indeed, democracy.
Old 11-09-2008, 19:53   #37
Yank in King Art's Court!

Golly day, to think only psycho's, nut, wackos, fundamentalists, etc, etc. over here like McCain/Palin. I guess I, and Millions of other good, noraml Americans fit in there. First off, for the Bush haters, John McCain, to his detriment (IMO), is no George Bush or typical Republican. Sarah Palin is a breath of fresh air. Finally, a regular person going to Washington!

Obama has an absolutely terrible voting record. Additionally, his wife and her past writings/statements, scares the bejesus out of me! Ombama's never even held a regular job. All he, and his lunatic pastor, seems to want to do is play the race card. I hope it comes down to pure experience. This Independant is satified with the McCain/Palin ticket. I think the media has once again sensationalized some of Palin's miscues and Biblical views.

Just wished to voice another opinion on this matter. I just don't see things as bad as stated by some of the above comments.

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 20:11   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee View Post
Golly day, to think only psycho's, nut, wackos, fundamentalists, etc, etc. over here like McCain/Palin. I guess I, and Millions of other good, noraml Americans fit in there. First off, for the Bush haters, John McCain, to his detriment (IMO), is no George Bush or typical Republican. Sarah Palin is a breath of fresh air. Finally, a regular person going to Washington!

Obama has an absolutely terrible voting record. Additionally, his wife and her past writings/statements, scares the bejesus out of me! Ombama's never even held a regular job. All he, and his lunatic pastor, seems to want to do is play the race card. I hope it comes down to pure experience. This Independant is satified with the McCain/Palin ticket. I think the media has once again sensationalized some of Palin's miscues and Biblical views.

Just wished to voice another opinion on this matter. I just don't see things as bad as stated by some of the above comments.

Brian
Oh come on LYY. McCain has openly said on many occasions that he agrees with Bush on every single issue. He would not do anything differently. Is that really a good thing for America's economy, global reputation and position in Iraq? Clearly not.

How can you say that Palin's religious views have been sensationalised? She has been directly quoted - and shown in videos making these quotes in full context. Have you read the article in my first post in this thread? She has claimed the war in Iraq is God's cause for crying out loud. Why would anyone want that in a position of power!?
All I hear from the Republican camp is claims of Palin's "executive experience", "executive experience", "executive experience". No. Surely the Republicans aren't making statements with meaningless jargon?

Obama has never "played the race card". It's only the Republicans with their predictable and weary politics that have claimed Obama is playing the race card. Cheap, easy shots. As usual.

How can you have respect for a party and a candidate that puts out a smear advertisement on television just hours after the 'lipstick on a pig' comment? Especially when McCain used the very same turn of phrase for Hilary Clinton!

Barack Obama is the only one that can pull America out of this mire. The States and the world will be in a perilous situation should the Republicans get into office again. The world is tired of their idiocy.

Hopefully the votes will be actually counted this time.

Last edited by shakermaker; 11-09-2008 at 20:14.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 20:29   #39
God Member

Noting that she will be only one missed heartbeat away from the Presidency , I have concerns about her foriegn policy experience , it's well to remember that her first Passport was only issued in 2006 . I don't think having bi-lateral talks with the B.C. provincial Govt. about road paving issues on the Yukon Highway will count for much in the 'Grand Game'
Old 11-09-2008, 20:32   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Noting that she will be only one missed heartbeat away from the Presidency , I have concerns about her foriegn policy experience , it's well to remember that her first Passport was only issued in 2006 . I don't think having bi-lateral talks with the B.C. provincial Govt. about road paving issues on the Yukon Highway will count for much in the 'Grand Game'
Oh don't fret steeljack, she has "executive experience"
Old 19-09-2008, 04:30   #41
God Member

from the local news in California ...........

Linda Burnett , 23, a resident of San Diego , was visiting her in-laws and while there went to a nearby supermarket to pick up some groceries. Several people noticed her sitting in her car with the windows rolled up and with her eyes closed, with both hands behind the back of her head.

One customer who had been at the store for a while became concerned and walked over to the car. He noticed that Linda's eyes were now open, and she looked very strange. He asked her if she was okay, and Linda replied that she had been shot in the back of the head, and had been holding her brains in for over an hour. The man called the paramedics, who broke into the car because the doors were locked and Linda refused to remove her hands from her head. When they finally got in, they found that Linda had a wad of bread dough on the back of her head.

A Pillsbury biscuit canister had exploded from the heat, making a loud noise that sounded like a gunshot, and the wad of dough hit her in the back of her head. When she reached back to find out what it was, she felt the dough and thought it was her brains. She initially passed out, but quickly recovered. Linda is a blonde, and a REPUBLICAN, and her car had a VOTE FOR McCAIN bumper sticker on it, but all that could be irrelevant
Old 19-09-2008, 10:20   #42
God Member

Lol, brilliant
Old 19-09-2008, 16:30   #43
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Hey, those British Columbian's are tough barginners ... think it's something to do with the fact that marijuana is BC's leading cash crop.

Back on track .... spoke to a friend of mine the other day; she is American, Harvard PhD. in sociology. She came to Canada to teach at Queen's, and stayed. What she did point out to me ... and this is something I hadn't considered ... is that there is a very large constituency of right-wing women in the States, and that the choosing of Palin was a very shrewd strategic move on the part of the McCain campaign. I had assumed that women in the US were like those in Canada, where women tend to vote centre, and left of centre rather than for the Conservatives.
Old 20-09-2008, 04:43   #44
Senior Member+

regardless of what you've read and heard about palin/mccain

this is the real reason he's taken her on

Old 20-09-2008, 04:59   #45
God Member

maybe it's the misogynist in me ....but ....I like Sarah Palin because she looks like a woman should look ......she wears a dress, not the sodding pantsuits favoured by Ms Clinton and co ..........they are not sodding welders and window cleaners ......if you are a woman look like one, dress like one , not some fat lard-assed ballbuster , who reminds a lot of men why they got shut of wife number one.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..