Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2006, 19:58   #1
God Member

"Mene, Mene, Tekel Upharsin"

A few weeks ago we were vastly encouraged to discover that one of our members, the lovely Gayle Knight no less, has decided to take the bull by the horns, as it were and tackle the menace of arrogant and unaccountable Council Leaders head on, when we read that she had agreed to stand for election to the council in opposition to the Idiot-in-Chief himself.

“Good on you Girl !” we all cried, though we knew that the battle to come would be a hard and bitterly fought one. We knew, even then, that Britcliffe, being the slimy weasel that he undoubtedly is, would stop at nothing to throw a spanner in the works and do his damndest to derail Gayle’s campaign before it even got off the ground.

We were not wrong.

In the past couple of weeks, in a move that struck me at the time as being a tad over the top, Britcliffe has busied himself ensuring that the Legal Department of HBC is monitoring every move that Gayle makes just in case she begins the campaign to unseat him by so much as one second before she is legally entitled to do so.

It was just the other day, that the fragrant Garinda, regaled us with the tale of a free Calendar distributed throughout Oswaldtwistle featurning photographs of the Idiot-in-Chief cosying up to hapless members of his electorate. Which to my ear sounded suspiciously like electioneering.

And now, from last weeks Observer (page 20) there comes the delightful announcement of the opportunity for the residents of Oswaldtwistle to pop into Ossy Town Hall for a couple of “Drop-in sessions”.

“It is very important to us to hear your views” the Observer reports him as saying.
Given Britcliffe’s previous responses when the electorate have dared to express their opinion or views, I find this hard to believe and, given that this is the first time he has ever held a Drop-in session, just a shade hypocritical. But then, as hardened cynics all, we know that politicians will do or say anything no matter how contradictory to hang on to their seats and our hard earned money. Incidentally, considering that this is his first ever “drop-in session” I think that it is pertinent to speculate on this apparent volte face. Why would someone who has more than amply demonstrated his utter contempt for the opinions of others be so anxious now to solicit them?

Could it be that the initiative of Gayle’s oddly similar recent meeting with the good people of Ossy has got him rattled? I do hope so.

It is perhaps a bit premature of me to advise the Idiot-in-Chief, who I am informed is an avid if anonymous reader here, to begin drafting his farewell address. But I will offer for his consideration the grafitti said to have been miraculously scrawled on the wall of the palace of King Belshazzar, in Daniel 5:25-28.

You, dear reader, are of course perfectly entitled to take the Idiot-in-Chief up on his offer and Pop along to one of his “Drop-in sessions”, which you will note are timed specifically to exlude the majority of working voters.

The Sessions will take place in the Craft Room of Oswaldtistle Town Hall at the following times…

Monday 9th Jan. 1pm-3pm

Tuesday 10th Jan. 10am – 12 noon.

Thursday 12th Jan. 4pm – 6pm.

Mmmmm! I can hear the knives being sharpened already. Have Fun!

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 06-01-2006 at 20:03.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-01-2006, 20:21   #2
God Member

Re: "mene, Mene, Tekel Upharsin"

Does that mean we will get an abbreviated account of the meeting?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 20:26   #3
God Member

Yes, I'm thinking of popping along.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 20:28   #4
God Member

Treat him gentley Gayle if you go along he must have a nervous dispotion by now.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 06-01-2006, 20:29   #5
God Member

I'm going to take him a packet of cigarettes as a peace offering!

Old 06-01-2006, 20:45   #6
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
Take him a packet of “Passing clouds” Gayle. He might just see the light……

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 21:37   #7
Beacon of light

My daughter lives in Ossy and she received a flyer about the event....it had a picture of PB on it......she has put it on the Mantelpiece to keep the kids away from the fire.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 21:39   #8
Beacon of light

I'm sure you have him rattled Gayle...and I think he can see the writing on the wall. (it says PB OUT)
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 23:45   #9
God Member

Is his retirement home place set up yet?

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 07-01-2006, 00:12   #10
Give, give, give member

Oh Acidic-bab move to Ossy.

My back bedrooms free, I'll put you up until the elections.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 00:13   #11
Give, give, give member

Fragrant?

Makes me a bit Mary Archerish, and I can't decide if I like it.

Old 07-01-2006, 09:13   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
After reading this week's 'Observer' he may well reciprocate with a cream cake.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 11:32   #13
God Member

Good thing about dieting though is that you don't actually have to give up food (or cream cakes for that matter) as long as the rest of the time you eat carrots and other healthy stuff.

Old 07-01-2006, 11:51   #14
Give, give, give member

I think it's great Acidic-babs, I'm not being rude, he pm'd me that he likes it, has taken Gayle to his bossom, after a somewhat shakey start.

Now if only Peter would join instead of just read what we write here, he might get the same warm welcome, eventually.

Old 07-01-2006, 13:13   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
I think it's great Acidic-babs, I'm not being rude, he pm'd me that he likes it, has taken Gayle to his bossom, after a somewhat shakey start.

Now if only Peter would join instead of just read what we write here, he might get the same warm welcome, eventually.
Thank you for that validation, it is always nice to have one's efforts appreciated. But I think that expecting anyone to be able to find a redeeming feature in the Idiot-in-Chief is a bit like asking George Bush to condone Devil Worship - it just aint gonna happen.

If Gayle succeeds in unseating the odious Britcliffe, and I am sure she has a fighting chance of doing so, she will have done so on her own merits, which is as it should be. Her victory will come because the electorate chose to exercise their common sense and will be all the sweeter for it, not because they were hectored into it by anything I might write here.

I never expected to write anything in support of anyone in the Labour party, but as the only sane and rational alternative to Peter "I'm-worth-every-penny" Britcliffe, I see it as my civic duty towards the town I love to use what limited abilities I posess to help remove what I see as a continuing threat to it's prosperity.

Gayle and I continue to disagree about Art, but there is nothing wrong in expressing passionately held views and opinions. I am sure that there are many who disagree with me, that is their prerogative, as it is mine to speak my mind. But one thing Gayle and I do appear to agree on is that Britcliffe is a bad idea for Ossy and also for Hyndburn and the sooner that he and his arrogant, incompetent administration are history, the better! For that reason, if for no other, she has my whole hearted support.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 07-01-2006 at 13:19.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..