Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree14Likes
  • 8 Post By Margaret Pilkington
  • 2 Post By pifco
  • 3 Post By Margaret Pilkington
  • 1 Post By Poinsterity

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2020, 13:37   #1
Beacon of light

Merton Seigleman OBE, Rest in Peace.

Now I am sure that many of you out there are asking 'who on earth was Merton Seigleman?'
I am pretty sure that this man touched many of your lives, directly...or indirectly.
He was a visionary....his vision was to ensure that those who had cancer or incurable illness and pain were cared for...and it's because of his vision that we have a wonderful local hospice.
I first met Dr Seigleman(for that was how I knew him) as a young and green Student Nurse working on Ward 4 at Blackburn Royal infirmary in the early 70's
He was a very accomplished 'gas man' an anaesthetist....the man who safely puts you to sleep before an operation, so that you feel no pain.

He was a great teacher and always found time to educate the students(both Doctors and nurses)....but I was always in awe of him.

He was instrumental in raising 700,000 pounds to build the hospice....and he remained a driving force for many many years.

It is because of him and the team he built, that those who had a short hold on life, had the care they needed and dignity in the end of their life.
So if you have had a friend or relative who has been on the receiving end of this kind of care....it is this man who can be thanked.

Merton Seigleman died in Manchester last week at the age of 96.
Rest in Peace, you were a true gentleman...God Bless.
KiTChener, MITZY, cashman and 5 others like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-03-2020, 16:00   #2
Full Member+

Re: Merton Seigleman OBE, Rest in Peace.

Thanks for informing people about the death of Merton Seigleman I remember when he first raised the idea of the hospice and how he got so many people involved with found raising, there didn't seem to be a week go by that there wasn't a fund raising event occurring somewhere.
Thank Merton Seigleman and may God Bless you.
pifco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 17:02   #3
Beacon of light

I was working in the NHS at that time and many staff were heavily involved in the fund raising....I did the army assault close at Holcombe....got my keks full of tadpoles...but it was worth it.
Was never more proud when the Hospice opened.
cashman, pifco and DaveinGermany like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 08:13   #4
I am Banned

A great man! Thanks for informing us. Rest in peace.
Poinsterity is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..