Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-07-2015, 18:10   #46
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Migrant Crisis in Calais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
,in my eyes these folk are no less worthy of respect than anyone else.
A worthy sentiment indeed

Quote:
which is more than I can say for the child bearing,pyjama/tracksuit wearing dole dossers I see on a daily basis...just saying.
Totally negated by your later comment.

It appears your moral high horse may have a wonky leg.
Old 27-07-2015, 18:24   #47
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
A worthy sentiment indeed

Totally negated by your later comment.

It appears your moral high horse may have a wonky leg.
A wonky leg or three,As "Ma" would say "I say it how I see it"

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 18:31   #48
Senior Member+

£12 billion!
We are one of the smaller countries in the world by size and population but we are the second biggest giver of aid in the world.
Half that money goes to major organisations such as the EU and the World Bank. They can't find what to spend it on so it sits in their banks earning interest-at our cost. Often for over two years! That's bureaucracy for you, even as homeless people starve.
10%, £1.2 billion, goes to consultants with some staff in the field getting £1000 a day.
Do we need consultants to help us buy tents, food, medicines, school books and ship them to where they're needed? A village needs a well? Do we need a £1000 a day consultant to tell us? Can't we employ our own experts for a bit less a day than that?
Yet still the bleeding hearts tell us we should open our borders, welcome in the millions of people who (quite rightly) would like a better life.
Short of housing, short of hospital beds, doctors, welfare money, school places, short of money, massively in debt.
Isn't it time we took a cool, hard look at what we can best offer those less well off than us?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 18:50   #49
Beacon of light

It isn't just a long hard look at what can be done...it is having the cojones to take unpopular actions.
There is too much talking and precious little action.
And if our borders were close to the country's where these people were coming from, then perhaps, just perhaps we should be taking responsibility for them.....but we aren't we are thousands of miles from the places these people are fleeing from.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 19:50   #50
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
"I say it how I see it"
And that, is exactly what other folk are doing!

To sort out Calais the French should deploy their foreign legion, firstly to control & round up the Migrants causing trouble, then using their logistics assets they should take them back to Africa.

Then they should come back & deal with their own French malcontents causing problems for the rest of the people trying to go about their lawful business in & around Calais

As to those crossing the med, they shouldn't be brought to Europe, their boats should be towed back to the exit ports along the African/Syrian coast, run aground & holed to make them unusable. The message needs to be reinforced that if they want asylum they should use the proper channels, apply from their home/safe Country on their own continent.

Illegal methods shouldn't be accepted or tolerated.
Old 27-07-2015, 22:56   #51
God Member

the channel tunnel is Europe's colon and we aint at the food in end of it

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 16:56   #52
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
When you see the videos of Calais you don't see women, children, fleeing from persecution and starvation.
You see hundreds of fit young men, chasing lorries, shouting about their 'Human Rights', threatening drivers.
could go a long way to giving a 'better life' to an awful lot of people.
The fact you don't see videos of women and kids doesn't mean they are not there Gordon.
Extract from front page of todays Guardian:
The pitiful desperation of those in Camp Calais.
In the far corner of a cemetery on the outskirts of Calais a couple of gravediggers chat quietly as they wait beside a small freshly dug hole.
For Samir Khedija an unborn baby boy died at 22 weeks after his mother an Eritrean woman miscarried after falling from the back of a lorry as she tried to get into the UK.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 17:33   #53
Senior Member+

Perhaps the residents of Calais could relocate to the UK and leave Calais to the migrants

password--Accyweb
Old 28-07-2015, 17:38   #54
Senior Member+

That's very sad but you have to ask why she didn't ask for asylum in the first European country she arrived in.
When you see the videos of migrants in Calais you don't see women and children, I suspect she was an unfortunate one of few. I can't believe the BBC would avoid showing them.
Can't find the article on the internet.
2000 tried to storm Eurotunnel last night! Climbing those high fences isn't easy, you've got to be fit.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 18:11   #55
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
The Grauniad, labour endorsing, leftist leaning, British hating rag! I'm sorry, but this unfortunate incident doesn't change my stance or opinions as to how the situation should be handled.
Old 28-07-2015, 18:31   #56
Senior Member+

image.jpg

password--Accyweb
Old 28-07-2015, 18:37   #57
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

And just what has America to do with Calais?
Old 28-07-2015, 18:58   #58
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
The fact you don't see videos of women and kids doesn't mean they are not there Gordon.
The pitiful desperation of those in Camp Calais.
In the far corner of a cemetery on the outskirts of Calais a couple of gravediggers chat quietly as they wait beside a small freshly dug hole.
For Samir Khedija an unborn baby boy died at 22 weeks after his mother an Eritrean woman miscarried after falling from the back of a lorry as she tried to get into the UK.
While that is a sad story, she should never have been able to get to Calais.
She should have sought migrant/asylum seekers status at the first land fall.
If she had got into this country she would not have been able to work, to contribute...She would have been seeking a home, health care, benefits....this is the reason she was trying to get to the UK....not to get a job.

Yes the camp at Calais is pitiful, it is pitiful because nothing has been done to address the reasons why these people are there, either on this side of the channel or in France.

This needs to be sorted....and not by giving these people UK citizenship.....this would just encourage more to arrive.
They need to be repatriated to their countries of origin.
Britain gives much in the form of Foreign aid...some of it should be directed at this problem rather than places like India who neither needs nor wants foreign aid from us.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 20:07   #59
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Can't find the article on the internet.
You need to know where to look, as it is with most things Gordon.
Fleeting fixtures and precarious lives in the migrant camp of Fortress Calais | World news | The Guardian
Old 28-07-2015, 20:11   #60
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
The Grauniad, labour endorsing, leftist leaning, British hating rag! I'm sorry, but this unfortunate incident doesn't change my stance or opinions as to how the situation should be handled.
Not much labour endorsing, leftist leaning British hating in this article DinG

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..