Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2009, 11:04   #1
God Member

Milk

I posted this in the 'doorstep deliveries' thread, but then realised that it was in the 'Oswaldtwistle' section, so might not be noticed - so I have made a thread for it here.

I have cancelled milk deliveries.
The delivery service was impeccable, and the whole raw milk was delicious.
The reason? - I found this lecture

http://video.google.com/googleplayer...52245997479572

Since consuming 5 pints of this delicous milk per week, I have had a recurrance of my chronic diarrhoea.

This lecture is rather long - 1hr 20 mins
If you dont have the time to watch all of it, just start to look at 40mins in where there is a list of all the common medical problems caused or aggravated by consumption of dairy products.
The part of the lecture before 40mins is very a technical explanation of the digestion of dairy products.

I hope that by eliminating dairy products I will alleviate my
fatigue
diarrhoea
breathing difficulties

Other medical problems mentioned
cataracts
infertility
asthma
diabetes
rheumatoid arthritis
..............to name just a few.

So if you have health problems it might be worth watching all this video lecture, and maybe having a test period of eliminating dairy products might be worthwhile, in order to decide what is best for you.
I will need to eat more green veg, grains, beans and legumes, to get enough calcium. Calcium is the only good thing that milk provides.

There is a section which discusses soy milk, and says that it is better than cows milk.
I disagree- because it disrupts your hormones, so I consider it the lesser of 2 evils.

To make an informed decision you need to be informed.
That is why I have posted this - you need to decide for yourself - take responsibily for your own health.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-09-2009, 11:08   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Milk

maybe you should swap to breast milk? much better for you

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:11   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum View Post
maybe you should swap to breast milk? much better for you
not so - after weaning, adults can't digest any milk efficiently
..and I don't really fancy that even if I could

Old 09-09-2009, 11:14   #4

Thanks for that Margaret I will have a look... and pass on to my fellow students too...
Also I agree totally with you on your thoughts about soya Milk
Old 09-09-2009, 11:23   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I posted this in the 'doorstep deliveries' thread, but then realised that it was in the 'Oswaldtwistle' section, so might not be noticed - so I have made a thread for it here.

I have cancelled milk deliveries.
The delivery service was impeccable, and the whole raw milk was delicious.
The reason? - I found this lecture

http://video.google.com/googleplayer...52245997479572

Since consuming 5 pints of this delicious milk per week, I have had a recurrence of my chronic diarrhoea.

This lecture is rather long - 1hr 20 mins
If you dont have the time to watch all of it, just start to look at 40 mins in where there is a list of all the common medical problems caused or aggravated by consumption of dairy products.
The part of the lecture before 40 mins is very a technical explanation of the digestion of dairy products.

I hope that by eliminating dairy products I will alleviate my
fatigue
diarrhoea
breathing difficulties

Other medical problems mentioned
cataracts
infertility
asthma
diabetes
rheumatoid arthritis
..............to name just a few.

So if you have health problems it might be worth watching all this video lecture, and maybe having a test period of eliminating dairy products might be worthwhile, in order to decide what is best for you.
I will need to eat more green veg, grains, beans and legumes, to get enough calcium. Calcium is the only good thing that milk provides.

There is a section which discusses soy milk, and says that it is better than cows milk.
I disagree- because it disrupts your hormones, so I consider it the lesser of 2 evils.

To make an informed decision you need to be informed.
That is why I have posted this - you need to decide for yourself - take responsibily for your own health.
I agree about soy milk Margaret, but for different reasons, its bloody awful stuff I wouldn't wash my feet in it tastes terrible
Old 09-09-2009, 11:27   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
not so - after weaning, adults can't digest any milk efficiently
..and I don't really fancy that even if I could
lol still better than a cows breast milk

no jokes please

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:37   #7
God Member

I am going to give rice milk a try - anyone else here use it?

Old 09-09-2009, 12:21   #8
God Member

Fliipin heck, if you look hard enough you could find something about pretty much everything we eat.

sod that, I'm off to enjoy a nice meal with none of the worry or stress induced illnesses that I'd have if I took head of every single 'warning'

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:25   #9
God Member

If you watch the whole lecture you might think otherwise.
Everyman to his own poison

Old 09-09-2009, 12:48   #10
God Member

problem is Margaret is that you can equally find 'lectures' that would advocate the opposite, its a bit like statistics, you can make them say what suits you if you try hard enough.

If you considered pesticides, animal supplements, 'purified water' etc to the extent of anything we put in our gobs you would die of stress or hunger.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:52   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
problem is Margaret is that you can equally find 'lectures' that would advocate the opposite, its a bit like statistics, you can make them say what suits you if you try hard enough.

If you considered pesticides, animal supplements, 'purified water' etc to the extent of anything we put in our gobs you would die of stress or hunger.
If you can find me a technical report that advocates the health benefits of dairy produce (and is not financed by any commercially interested party)
I will glady read it - I do miss milk - a cuppa isn't quite the same without it, but if I find that my health improves without milk I am willing to make that small sacrifice.

http://www.dairyreporter.com/Safety-...its-questioned

Old 09-09-2009, 12:56   #12
Beacon of light

Cows milk is designed for calves, not for humans.
I do not follow a lacto-free diet, but I do not like milk much and consume very little of it.
I do not eat yoghourt and my intake of cheese is minimal.

The chinese people don't take milk in their diet and they reckon they can smell milk on Westerners.......though of course they would be far too polite to tell you so.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:58   #13
Beacon of light

Margaret, I find that milk makes me produce an excess of mucus........and that when I reduce or eliminate it from my diet, my nasal catarrh improves greatly.
I know there is supposed to be no scientific evidence to support the fact that milk increases mucus production, but my body tells me different.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 13:48   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Margaret, I find that milk makes me produce an excess of mucus........and that when I reduce or eliminate it from my diet, my nasal catarrh improves greatly.
I know there is supposed to be no scientific evidence to support the fact that milk increases mucus production, but my body tells me different.

i agree with you on that Marg, i have asthma and i know if i drink full fat milk then my chests gonna be bad the next day, so i only buy UHT skimmed, might taste like water but its definately better for me
Old 09-09-2009, 14:02   #15
God Member

I have been looking at rice milk on the mysupermarket website.
Asda Tesco and Sainsbury all sell it - good - cuppas will be ok
I did find a newspaper health warning that some rice milk has tested positive for high arsenic due to pesticide use on the crops, so organic is the way to go.
I have been looking at what I could use as a substitute for butter.
The 'butter substitutes' I have looked at all contain hydrogenised or partly hydrogenised fat.
Now that is bad news!

So I am looking at good old fashioned dripping and lard.

I don't often eat sandwiches so the butter I use is put in the brioche bread I make.
- 2oz in every loaf. I will be trying out lard in that.

I have a slice of brioche with my breakfast.
It is lovely dipped in beaten egg and fried in olive oil - no butter there.

I doubt whether I will be able to completely eliminate butter from my diet.
I might get away with lard in bread, but I don't think biscuit recipes will be tasty.
Some saturated fats are essential for good brain maintenance.
I am hoping that I will get dairy consumption down drastically.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..