Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: How would you ensure the low paid get a fair deal?
Let market forces decide the value of a worker 2 11.11%
Let government decide a minimum wage and link it to inflation 2 11.11%
Lower the tax threshold and ring fence it to inflation 12 66.67%
Something else 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-01-2014, 18:57   #31
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Minimum wage rise - good or bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Hartley View Post
As if serious, I'll try pressing on. The 'something else' approach involves all who contribute to a common good receiving the same financial reward. I worked in the eighties in Wales for an organisation with some four hundred employees. It was proposed that we should all receive the same for our efforts. Arithmetic was done, and presented. The proposal was ultimately rejected by a majority who would lose the most.

Allow me a copy and paste I'm sure it will save walkinman from repeating himself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
Is it just me or is that bollox
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-01-2014, 19:14   #32

Re: Minimum wage rise - good or bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
would you enlighten me as to why my suggestion is not sensible?
If someone posts a nonsensical post to sensible thread....how can it not be sensible to ask that person to go away?
Enlightenment is required..please.

And in the interest of reasoned debate you could also enlighten us as to what your 'something else' consists of too.

What you choose to pay your cleaner is your business......and I don't care what gender your cleaner is. What has it got to do with the minimum wage what the gender of your cleaner is?

You are usually so precise about not thread wandering...not like the lesser mortals on here who do it for fun.
Sorry to confuse, Margaret. I meant to declare that the other chap's remark wasn't a sensible contribution to the matter.

I've described elsewhere what my favoured 'something else' would be.

There is a lingering attitude that cleaning is the work of women, and it was this view that I wanted to examine. I quite agree that it must not matter that a cleaner is a man or a woman.

I am not a supporter of the minimum wage, by reason of that name and also the rate. I couldn't survive if paid that amount, given the conveniences and choices I have grown firm in supporting. In practice, though, I do support it whenever I shop locally because the shop workers are paid at that level.

Thread-wander is quite common here and elsewhere, I've noticed.
Graham Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 19:20   #33
Senior Member+

Quote:

There is a lingering attitude that cleaning is the work of women, and it was this view that I wanted to examine. I quite agree that it must not matter that a cleaner is a man or a woman.
Do your own then!
Boeing Guy likes this.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 19:24   #34
JFT96

Quote:
As if serious, I'll try pressing on. The 'something else' approach involves all who contribute to a common good receiving the same financial reward. I worked in the eighties in Wales for an organisation with some four hundred employees. It was proposed that we should all receive the same for our efforts. Arithmetic was done, and presented. The proposal was ultimately rejected by a majority who would lose the most.
So if we were to adopt this, Footballers would be paid the same as Nurses.
Heart Surgeons would be paid the same as a Road Sweeper.
Airline Pilots would be paid the same as Bus Drivers.

I do believe the former USSR tried that, it failed.
You see the problem with ypur arguement Graham is quite simple, I studied for several years, spent tens of thousands of pounds to become a pilot. Twice a year I have the oportunity of losing my license by testing and a stringent medical. If i make a mistake 200 peopke will die.
If we were all paid the same, why would anyone strive to achive?

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 20:14   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Heart Surgeons would be paid the same as a Road Sweeper.
Airline Pilots would be paid the same as Bus Drivers.

I do believe the former USSR tried that, it failed.
You see the problem with ypur arguement Graham is quite simple, I studied for several years, spent tens of thousands of pounds to become a pilot. Twice a year I have the oportunity of losing my license by testing and a stringent medical. If i make a mistake 200 peopke will die.
If we were all paid the same, why would anyone strive to achive?
Well, I thought the argument was worth essay. Are there not some achievements beyond, or in some other way separated from money? If none but me can think of any, perhaps I'm missing a great deal of what passes for ordinary, everyday enjoyment of life. In a further venture away from the topic, I have a cousin who is a retired airline pilot. He would agree with you, I feel sure.
Old 20-01-2014, 20:15   #36
Beacon of light

I know men who are cleaners.
towards the end of his working life my father was a school caretaker - he cleaned the school.....he also did basic maintenance, but the major part of the job was cleaning the school.
Many jobs are less gender specific than at any time in the past.

I agree with Boeing guy.
During my career I was responsible for the health, safety and care of many thousands of women. I studied hard to get my qualifications. I was also responsible for the education and training of students under my care.
I was subject to yearly appraisal and every three years I could be asked to prove my continued education.
My salary was not great(when the responsibilities were considered)....but it was the job I chose to do. I knew what it entailed when I went into it.
Work is more than just a paypacket...it is what makes us get up each day and stir ourselves. It is an important part of daily life and that which keeps us sane...and builds confidence and self esteem. A feeling that your life is worthwhile...the you are worth something to the community in which you live.
Boeing Guy likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 20:19   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Do your own then!
I do as much as I can find the time to do. I think it right to help her, and she appears happy enough - and I am happier to pay her what I do than I would be if I paid her minimum wage.
Old 20-01-2014, 20:22   #38
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Can't we make it that Nurses are paid the same as footballers? I don't think you would get many footballers prepared to play for a nurses salary.

I think that many of the values of society are badly skewed.....the wrong people are paid the most money...but then it is what those who wish to watch sportsmen are willing to pay...but ask those people to pay more for the upkeep of their local hospital services and watch them head for the door.
Boeing Guy and dotti34 like this.
Old 20-01-2014, 20:26   #39
Beacon of light

Quote:
I do as much as I can find the time to do. I think it right to help her, and she appears happy enough - and I am happier to pay her what I do than I would be if I paid her minimum wage.
But then, that is your choice.
If you are both happy with the situation then that is fine.....but some businesses do not have the luxury of the choice you make.
Businesses are in business to make a profit(I know that may sound a strange concept)...and many of the small businesses are only just making ends meet.
Our town centre is a testament to this.
Boeing Guy likes this.
Old 20-01-2014, 20:30   #40

I understand your logic and agree with most of it, Boeing Guy. A person SHOULD get compensated for the efforts they have made and for their achievements. My children spent years of study during which they went without a lot of the things their peers had (for obvious financial reasons - no income as such during that time) so I agree that they should now be receiving decent salaries, which they are, and that their efforts are being justly rewarded.

However, I don't think you should have compared footballers with nurses - nurses are far more important that footballers - maybe if footballers DID get the same as nurses then the latter would be better compensated, though I doubt it.

Don't be surprised to get a comment from Margaret P re this. I'll be disappointed if you don't!!!!
Boeing Guy likes this.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 20:33   #41

Margaret - you beat me to it - you were posting your reply even while I was putting in my bob's worth. Good on you!
Old 20-01-2014, 20:36   #42
JFT96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Can't we make it that Nurses are paid the same as footballers? I don't think you would get many footballers prepared to play for a nurses salary.

I think that many of the values of society are badly skewed.....the wrong people are paid the most money...but then it is what those who wish to watch sportsmen are willing to pay...but ask those people to pay more for the upkeep of their local hospital services and watch them head for the door.
Just as Firefighters and others who do so much more for their comunity and mankind.
It is wrong, but we are governed by market forces and in the case of the NHS....PFI!

My Grandmother was a Nurse, the NHS front line have saved my life, I had a car crash when I was 18, it is a shame we don't live in an ideal world.

Dotti, I have no problem with sports stars/ film stars etc earning huge sums of money, but your right, there are inequalities in this world. Nurses are woefully underpaid and I have nothing but the upmost respect for them. I appologise if my comments offended anyone.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion

Last edited by Boeing Guy; 20-01-2014 at 20:45.
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 20:42   #43

Quote - Graham Hartley, I do as much as I can find the time to do. I think it right to help her, and she appears happy enough - and I am happier to pay her what I do than I would be if I paid her minimum wage.

Sorry, G.H. but I think if you stick around to help her and during this time you share some of the same type of comments we have grown accustomed to getting from you - and the poor woman has to listen to it all, then I think she deserves a raise.....

Last edited by dotti34; 20-01-2014 at 20:44.
Old 20-01-2014, 20:51   #44

You can say that again, Boeing Guy. Do you know that a huge number of those brave courageous firefighters who have been fighting the horrific fires in this country lately (and still are) are volunteers - who receive no financial gain whatsoever....
...and thank goodness for them.
Old 20-01-2014, 21:03   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Quote - Graham Hartley, I do as much as I can find the time to do. I think it right to help her, and she appears happy enough - and I am happier to pay her what I do than I would be if I paid her minimum wage.

Sorry, G.H. but I think if you stick around to help her and during this time you share some of the same type of comments we have grown accustomed to getting from you, then I think she deserves a raise.....
Yes, there are many here and elsewhere who can't stand my company and are most forthright in saying so. Such is not the case here. I'm at work when she attends, and I pay her via a third party. Indeed, she was chosen by a third party, such is the risk that misogyny will spoil the enterprise. The help I offer is financial - sorry to confuse.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..