Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: How would you ensure the low paid get a fair deal?
Let market forces decide the value of a worker 2 11.11%
Let government decide a minimum wage and link it to inflation 2 11.11%
Lower the tax threshold and ring fence it to inflation 12 66.67%
Something else 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-01-2014, 21:06   #46

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Re: Minimum wage rise - good or bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Hartley View Post
I do as much as I can find the time to do. I think it right to help her, and she appears happy enough - and I am happier to pay her what I do than I would be if I paid her minimum wage.

Do either of you declare her earnings? Is she self employed or do you give her holiday pay? Is there a contract of employment between you? Will she get redundancy pay if you decide to move from the area?

It's pretty simple to give someone £10 an hour for doing a couple of hours a week...I pay a mechanic, a plumber, an electrician to do jobs for me.. and I don't have to be concerned about NI, business overheads, upkeep of premises, utility bills, rates, employment law, paperwork, 5.6 weeks paid holidays, pension schemes, incentives.. yada... yada.. yada..

There is a world of difference and major cost implication between paying someone to push the dyson and clean your crystal chandelier a couple of times a week and employing someone on a full time basis.
Old 20-01-2014, 21:17   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Do either of you declare her earnings? Is she self employed or do you give her holiday pay? Is there a contract of employment between you? Will she get redundancy pay if you decide to move from the area?

It's pretty simple to give someone £10 an hour for doing a couple of hours a week...I pay a mechanic, a plumber, an electrician to do jobs for me.. and I don't have to be concerned about NI, business overheads, upkeep of premises, utility bills, rates, employment law, paperwork, 5.6 weeks paid holidays, pension schemes, incentives.. yada... yada.. yada..

There is a world of difference and major cost implication between paying someone to push the dyson and clean your crystal chandelier a couple of times a week and employing someone on a full time basis.
As you may have read elsewhere, I pay via a third party so am somewhat insulated from the matters you raise. I can only agree that the differences between part-time and full-time employment are as you describe them.
Graham Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 21:18   #48
Beacon of light

Quote:
Yes, there are many here and elsewhere who can't stand my company and are most forthright in saying so. Such is not the case here. I'm at work when she attends, and I pay her via a third party. Indeed, she was chosen by a third party, such is the risk that misogyny will spoil the enterprise. The help I offer is financial - sorry to confuse.
I don't think you are very fair. It isn't that we do not like your company...you just do not go out of your way to be liked....but this again, is your choice.
You come across as a very curmudgeonly person.
That may be really who you are, or you may have developed this facade as some sort of shield.
I can get along with most folk who are prepared to be a bit courteous and kind....after all, we are all treading a stony uphill road.

Maybe you don't want to be liked, valued by other people. Maybe your attitude is like it or lump it....it isn't an endearing trait.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 21:25   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I don't think you are very fair. It isn't that we do not like your company...you just do not go out of your way to be liked....but this again, is your choice.
You come across as a very curmudgeonly person.
That may be really who you are, or you may have developed this facade as some sort of shield.
I can get along with most folk who are prepared to be a bit courteous and kind....after all, we are all treading a stony uphill road.

Maybe you don't want to be liked, valued by other people. Maybe your attitude is like it or lump it....it isn't an endearing trait.
Yes, I think your interpretation largely accurate. I have no feeling that to be liked is important. Yet I see that I've attracted a Like - perhaps that was for others in the thread.
Old 20-01-2014, 21:26   #50

Graham Hartley – am I to take it from your posting 45 that you are a misogynist? I hope I misunderstood – though this might explain why you don’t always come across as intelligently as you would like to appear. Misogyny and intelligence do not belong together, and so say all of us (well, the women at least do).

The third party bit is very interesting and explains a lot….
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 21:38   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Hartley
Yes, I think your interpretation largely accurate. I have no feeling that to be liked is important. Yet I see that I've attracted a Like - perhaps that was for others in the thread.

You really are a strange man. You must have a very low esteem. You seem to deliberately set out to be disliked, almost wearing this dislike as if it were a badge of honour. A psychiatrist (or psychologist as the case may be) would have a field day with you. I have never yet met anyone who doesn't wish to be liked for something, whether for themselves, for what they have done or are doing - anything....

...but first of all you have to like yourself. Try doing that, G.H. It might open a whole new world for you.
Old 20-01-2014, 21:39   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Graham Hartley – am I to take it from your posting 45 that you are a misogynist? I hope I misunderstood – though this might explain why you don’t always come across as intelligently as you would like to appear. Misogyny and intelligence do not belong together, and so say all of us (well, the women at least do).

The third party bit is very interesting and explains a lot….
I included the word to stir up feelings of any sort. Often, I speak to others with a touch of misandry and misogyny, depending on the audience. It can be said that I dislike most humans, the genders quite equally - though I don't have a way to measure that. If it might confirm some in their view, I am pleased to say that my favourite technical author is Mary L Boas. Thanks for commenting on the way I come across. I use such comments to influence changes in my persona here.
Old 20-01-2014, 21:45   #53

Aren't we in trouble for straying so far from the trodden thread? Thanks for this evening. One like! It will appear in my dreams.
Old 20-01-2014, 21:53   #54
Beacon of light

The forum is like a conversation in general.
Conversations meander, but often get back to the point in some strange way.
Like Dotti, I have never come across anyone who doesn't want to be liked for some part of what they do in their lives.
It is what motivates many to do the things they do....and become good at.
We learn this behaviour as children, and continue it because it makes us feel valued.

If you go out of your way to be disliked then I have to conclude that you are a very sad person(and I mean this in the emotional sense...rather than the insulting sense) and if this is the case I do feel really sorry for you.
You must have missed out on some of life's most wonderful and satisfying experiences.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 21:57   #55

I was almost starting to feel sorry for you, Graham H, but after your posting where you say you dislike most humans then I just think you are a sad, lonely man - but, perversely, getting some sort of kick out of being so. You do like to try to turn threads to which you subscribe to be all about Graham Hartley.

Maybe we should leave you be and get back to the subject of the thread.
Old 21-01-2014, 07:40   #56

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
As you may have read elsewhere, I pay via a third party so am somewhat insulated from the matters you raise. I can only agree that the differences between part-time and full-time employment are as you describe them.
So in effect you pay an agent £10 an hour to source a suitable cleaner on your behalf.

Who is responsible for cleaning materials, overalls, gloves, etc.. Does this come out of the £10 or do you come home to notes like 'no domestos left' and 'mop head broke'? Do you provide step ladders so that she can reach the curtain rail or the top shelf in the cupboard without stretching? Is the electrical equipment she uses PAT tested? Is there a suitable fire escape plan in place? Do you have a lone worker risk assessment in place?

I'm not really looking for answers, just trying to show that the minimum wage cost to a small employer is already around the £9 an hour mark when you take overheads and legal compliance into account. That £9 rises significantly if you take training into account especially if this training needs to be refreshed annually.

This is why the only way to increase the minimum take home wage is via the tax threshold, unless you want more unemployment, fewer businesses or the rise of unscrupulous agencies.
Old 21-01-2014, 08:38   #57
JFT96

Graham......

Quote:
I do as much as I can find the time to do. I think it right to help her, and she appears happy enough - and I am happier to pay her what I do than I would be if I paid her minimum wage.
But you then contradict yourself a few posts later on......

Quote:
So you pay an agency £10.00 an hour. She won't get that, I would have thought she will get minimum wage for that, after all an agency has to make a profit.
You really have no idea what she gets paid and your ramblings are getting tiresome.

Quote:
I have now removed the Like I gave, simply because you contradict yourself, your £10 per hour is not a good deed but the going rate from the agency.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 10:55   #58
Senior Member+

Quote:
Yes, there are many here and elsewhere who can't stand my company and are most forthright in saying so. Such is not the case here. I'm at work when she attends, and I pay her via a third party. Indeed, she was chosen by a third party, such is the risk that misogyny will spoil the enterprise. The help I offer is financial - sorry to confuse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Graham Hartley – am I to take it from your posting 45 that you are a misogynist?
[QUOTE=Boeing Guy;1091258

So you pay an agency £10.00 an hour. She won't get that, I would have thought she will get minimum wage for that, after all an agency has to make a profit.
You really have no idea what she gets paid and your ramblings are getting tiresome.

I have now removed the Like I gave, simply because you contradict yourself, your £10 per hour is not a good deed but the going rate from the agency.[/QUOTE]

Oh, come on dotti and BG. You're being hard on the man!
After all, he does have a woman cleaner, which for a misogynist is quite a sacrifice. But then, as a misandrist his choice is rather limited.
All right, he had to divorce himself from actually choosing a woman and he doesn't know(or appear to care) how much the agency actually pay her.
But he does make sure she only comes when he's at work- now there's an act of kindness!
There's something good in all of us, although in Graham Hartleys case it's proving difficult to find. Perhaps he's the exception?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 18:39   #59
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Allow me a copy and paste I'm sure it will save walkinman from repeating himself.
Thanks Less i wouldn't want Mr Hartley to think my education lacking , by replying to yet another post of which i have no comprehension. After all Mr Hartleys position is obviously one of lofty proportions he has a FEMALE cleaner for gods sake how can we poor mortals live with that.
Old 21-01-2014, 19:50   #60
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
After all Mr Hartleys position is obviously one of lofty proportions he has a FEMALE cleaner for gods sake how can we poor mortals live with that.
That's one thing about Accyweb, walkinman.

Now and again we ordinary folk get to see how the other half live-and think.

Worrying, isn't it?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..