Accrington Web
   

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!


Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!



Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-05-2007, 15:13   #316
☆ V.I.P Member ☆
 
panther's Avatar
 

re: Missing child in Portugal - Madeleine McCann

what was said in the statement at 3.30??....missed it!
__________________
"Dont make someone a priority if your only an option!!"
panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-05-2007, 15:24   #317
Full Member
 
Traceyb37's Avatar
 

re: Missing child in Portugal - Madeleine McCann

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
what was said in the statement at 3.30??....missed it!

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...266279,00.html
__________________



'The views expressed here are my own and are not necessarily those of the site'
Traceyb37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2007, 08:15   #318
Full Member
 
Traceyb37's Avatar
 

re: Missing child in Portugal - Madeleine McCann

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstor...name_page.html


A person says she has seen madeleine!
__________________



'The views expressed here are my own and are not necessarily those of the site'
Traceyb37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2007, 11:00   #319
God Member

 
grego's Avatar
 

re: Missing child in Portugal - Madeleine McCann

Hope that was a true sighting but she could be anywhere now.
__________________
'The views expressed here are my own and are not necessarily those of the site'
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2007, 12:19   #320
God Member
 
Lilly's Avatar
 

re: Missing child in Portugal - Madeleine McCann

I think that there are bound to be several 'sightings' now due to the large amount of money (2.5 million pounds) offered to anyone providing information that leads to Madeleine's safe return.It's very sad but some people will say say they've seen her in an attempt to get their hands on that money.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2007, 12:46   #321
☆ V.I.P Member ☆
 
panther's Avatar
 

re: Missing child in Portugal - Madeleine McCann

Quote:
Originally Posted by grego View Post
Hope that was a true sighting but she could be anywhere now.
the problem is with a little girl like maddy, she looks like alot of other little girls, im begining to think they are not gonna find her
__________________
"Dont make someone a priority if your only an option!!"
panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2007, 14:24   #322
Give, give, give member
 
garinda's Avatar
 

re: Missing child in Portugal - Madeleine McCann

Although our government have said they will do everything in their power to help to find Madeline McCann, they have decided not to give the trust set up in her name charitable status, thus meaning that thousands of pounds will go into Treasury coffers, instead of helping the cause. This is in the country that allows all private schools to have charitable status, and the tax breaks that come with it.

Disgraceful.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1814156.ece
__________________
'If you're going to be a Kant, be the very best Kant there is my son.'
Johann Georg Kant, father of Immanuel Kant, philosopher.






garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2007, 14:45   #323
Full Member
 

re: Missing child in Portugal - Madeleine McCann

garinda
ok the trust fund should not be taxed. but your point about private schools having tax breaks-whats wrong with that. they do a damn fine job in teaching kids i seem to remember you saying that your neices/nephews are being educated in private scools. am i right? so youre a hypocrite
spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2007, 15:06   #324
God Member

 
grego's Avatar
 

re: Missing child in Portugal - Madeleine McCann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I think that there are bound to be several 'sightings' now due to the large amount of money (2.5 million pounds) offered to anyone providing information that leads to Madeleine's safe return.It's very sad but some people will say say they've seen her in an attempt to get their hands on that money.
I dont think anyone will make it up Lilly as the money would only be given if they found her, so pretending that you'd seen her would be of no benefit.
__________________
'The views expressed here are my own and are not necessarily those of the site'
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2007, 15:11   #325
God Member
 
Gayle's Avatar
 

re: Missing child in Portugal - Madeleine McCann

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Although our government have said they will do everything in their power to help to find Madeline McCann, they have decided not to give the trust set up in her name charitable status, thus meaning that thousands of pounds will go into Treasury coffers, instead of helping the cause. This is in the country that allows all private schools to have charitable status, and the tax breaks that come with it.

Disgraceful.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1814156.ece
The trust can have charitable status if it applies to be a charity. It is not currently a charity from what I understand. Should it apply there is absolutely no reason why it would be refused a charity status. Once it becomes a charity it will then automatically have tax relief. If however, the trust decides not to apply to make it a charity then there is no reason why the government should arbitarily just award it tax relief. What the government has actually said is that it will not give it charitable status without it being a charity.
__________________






The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.


Last edited by Gayle; 20-05-2007 at 15:14.
Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2007, 15:31   #326
Coffin Dodger.

 
cashman's Avatar
 
Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

re: Missing child in Portugal - Madeleine McCann

if that is correct gayle, then its another shameful example of the crap we read in the press, also grego wish you were correct, but some sickos in society will try anything for their 5 mins of fame, and WILL give false info. everytime there is a murder anywhere theres usually 5/6 false confessions. perhaps you got to much faith in people?
__________________
N.L.T.B.G.Y.D. Do not argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
cashman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2007, 16:08   #327
Give, give, give member
 
garinda's Avatar
 

re: Missing child in Portugal - Madeleine McCann

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinner View Post
garinda
ok the trust fund should not be taxed. but your point about private schools having tax breaks-whats wrong with that. they do a damn fine job in teaching kids i seem to remember you saying that your neices/nephews are being educated in private scools. am i right? so youre a hypocrite

How does that make me a hypocrite? I don't chose where my brother sends his children to school. Therefore my pointing out that private schools are seen as charitable institutions, when they educate the wealthiest in society, in relation to the fact that the Madeline McCann trust isn't too receive the same status, isn't hypocritical at all.

Simple. Perhaps you shoud have paid a little more attention in school yourself.
__________________
'If you're going to be a Kant, be the very best Kant there is my son.'
Johann Georg Kant, father of Immanuel Kant, philosopher.






garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2007, 16:14   #328
Give, give, give member
 
garinda's Avatar
 

re: Missing child in Portugal - Madeleine McCann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
The trust can have charitable status if it applies to be a charity. It is not currently a charity from what I understand. Should it apply there is absolutely no reason why it would be refused a charity status. Once it becomes a charity it will then automatically have tax relief. If however, the trust decides not to apply to make it a charity then there is no reason why the government should arbitarily just award it tax relief. What the government has actually said is that it will not give it charitable status without it being a charity.

As far as I understand it has applied, but has been turned down by HM Revenue and Customs already, because the fund isn't seen as 'for the wider public good'.





'In addition, the fund will not benefit from gift aid, a form of tax relief that allows charities to claim from the government an additional 28p for every £1 they receive in donations. And tax will have to be paid on all interest accrued by the fund.


Last night the Treasury refused to intervene, insisting it was the preserve of HM Revenue & Customs to decide tax liability.
The development will embarrass Gordon Brown who told Madeleine’s family last week he would do all he could to help on “a practical and a personal level”.


The decision on charitable status could hit the family’s efforts to trace Madeleine. Her parents Kate and Gerry are considering hiring a private investigator amid concern over the way police have handled the hunt. A FUND to finance the international search for Madeleine McCann will be forced to pay Vat and denied tax breaks worth tens of thousands of pounds after being refused charitable status writes Mark Macaskill.


The Madeleine fund has already received almost £80,000 from the public and businesses. Madeleine’s parents had hoped for charity status for the fund but were turned down by the Charity Commission because the money raised is not for the “wider public good”.


Instead, the fund has been registered as a company, which means it is liable to pay Vat at 17.5% on advertising costs and goods designed to raise funds, such as stickers. Charities are eligible for “zero rate” tax relief on such expenses.
__________________
'If you're going to be a Kant, be the very best Kant there is my son.'
Johann Georg Kant, father of Immanuel Kant, philosopher.






garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2007, 16:21   #329
God Member
 
Gayle's Avatar
 

re: Missing child in Portugal - Madeleine McCann

No, it has applied to the government to be treated as charitable status even though it's not a charity. It is a company and therefore eligible for tax. You can't be both things and yet they've asked the government if they can be an exception - why should they be allowed that?

As for VAT, they can claim VAT relief on other things instead. They'll be able to claim VAT back and other tax reliefs. You can't have it both ways.
__________________






The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.


Last edited by Gayle; 20-05-2007 at 16:24.
Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2007, 16:25   #330
Give, give, give member
 
garinda's Avatar
 

re: Missing child in Portugal - Madeleine McCann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
No, it has applied to the government to be treated as charitable status even though it's not a charity. It is a company and therefore eligible for tax. You can't be both things and yet they've asked the government if they can be an exception - why should they be allowed that?
They were turned down as a charitable trust because of it being exclusively concerned with one child, Madeline.

Perhaps they need a 'grant getter' to explain if they changed the fund to be about all missing children, they may stand a better chance.
__________________
'If you're going to be a Kant, be the very best Kant there is my son.'
Johann Georg Kant, father of Immanuel Kant, philosopher.






garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools



Other sites of interest.. More town sites..




All times are GMT. The time now is 18:08.


2003-2013 AccringtonWeb.com


Page generated in 0.33202 seconds with 12 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1