Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-05-2007, 20:08   #346
Resting in Peace

re: Missing child in Portugal - Madeleine McCann

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
only problem I see with using these tags , they are only used for identification after the lost pet/child is has been recovered , don't think technology has been developed yet which enables power packs that small unlike tracking devices used on the ankle things

Not talking about what is available now Steeljack .. can track a car though can't we? so already tracking devices are available, and maybe some sort of adaption can be finalised in the future.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-05-2007, 20:08   #347
God Member

Saw on tv this morning a company will put a chip which can be tracked by gps into clothing or a teddy, I can see lots of problems with this ie ditch the coat/teddy but you never know what will be available in years to come.
As for the new suspect, in most holiday resorts you will see parents carrying their children at that time of night ususally on their way back to their apt. Personally dont think she's in Portugal anymore, still hope they find her safe and well, how anyone can do this is beyond me.
Old 27-05-2007, 20:40   #348
Senior Member+

Have refrained from comments so far but I can't help but blame the parents;I have read their articles in the papers and I am sure the guilt will never leave them,but it's something you just do NOT do. I have taken my child on holiday to Spain every year since she was 8 months old (now 11) and she has never been out of my sight ; on beaches,on funfairs,in pools etc. It's awful that this has happened and I really hope for a happy outcome.To be honest our kids are more at risk here in their own country than on holiday,but you let your guard down as soon as you get off the plane,hence you get robbed ,you get mugged and as we have now seen,even worse.
Old 27-05-2007, 20:48   #349

Hello i went to the church to night and iam still praying that they will find this little girl,may i say god bless and i hope she is found safely and i hope its not long
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2007, 13:17   #350
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Portuguese police say they have not found anything in a search of scrubland nine miles from where four-year-old Madeleine McCann went missing.
Officers said the line of inquiry had now been "discarded".

thank god for that!, lets hope they do find her alive
Old 15-06-2007, 15:21   #351
Passed away 25-11-09

As they only started the search this morning it doesn't seem to have been as thorough as it would, perhaps, in this country. Of course I don't want them to find the child's body, I sincerely hope she is alive, but have they looked hard enough?
Old 15-06-2007, 17:13   #352
God Member

I think the parents need to stop walking around smiling and laughing like theres nothing wrong. Theres looking hopeful and then theres looking like you are enjoying the publicity of your missing child all too much.

I think the only time ive seen them look upset recently is when that reporter suggested more and more people think it was them who did it. Where they really upset at the fact someone has the nerve to accuse them or where they upset in case someone found out the truth?

I hate to be cynical but there hasnt been much investigation into the family themselves and over here they'd be treated like the key suspects. I know they had dna samples and stuff to check them out but if the portugal police are being sloppy with the rest of the investigation, who's to say they didnt check them thoroughly?

That little girl isnt dead, she'll be somewhere still alive and it wont surprise me one bit if it ends up being something to do with them, if not, maybe they shouldnt be walking around laughing and joking like there little girls safe with them when police think she's in the hands of a network of paedophiles.

Would you be smiling at all if that was a possibility with your child? Doubtful.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2007, 17:52   #353
Passed away 25-11-09

Blazey, when someone you love dies, or disappears, you are devastated but you can't spend the rest of your life with a frown on your face and a tear in your eye. You go out into the world and smile, the tears are for private time. Life must go on, if only for the sake of other people, and sometimes it's quite acceptable to laugh even though your heart is breaking.

You must remember that this couple have 2 other small childen and they have to try to make life as normal as possible for them. I don't entirely agree with their way of going about publicising what has happened but I do understand their motivation. I'm quite sure they have not harmed their child, equally sure that life is now a nightmare for them, but would you have them do nothing but weep and tear their hair?
Old 15-06-2007, 18:06   #354
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
Blazey, when someone you love dies, or disappears, you are devastated but you can't spend the rest of your life with a frown on your face and a tear in your eye. You go out into the world and smile, the tears are for private time. Life must go on, if only for the sake of other people, and sometimes it's quite acceptable to laugh even though your heart is breaking.

You must remember that this couple have 2 other small childen and they have to try to make life as normal as possible for them. I don't entirely agree with their way of going about publicising what has happened but I do understand their motivation. I'm quite sure they have not harmed their child, equally sure that life is now a nightmare for them, but would you have them do nothing but weep and tear their hair?
Life must go on but she hasnt been gone that long. My friend died in december and I've still caught my self crying in public because certain things have reminded me about it.
I just think they are acting very unreasonable to say their childs been gone over a month and suspected to be held by a ring of paedophiles.

And making life as normal as possible for two young children is going home and sleeping in the safety of their own house, not being lugged around the world on a publicity campaign.
Old 15-06-2007, 18:20   #355
Give, give, give member

I was one of the people who initially crtiticised the couple's decision to leave the children in the apartment, and I stand by the fact that I haven't, and wouldn't, leave children in my care out of sight/earshot. I wouldn't even leave my passport or wallet on the bed in a locked holiday apartment whilst having dinner.

However I certainly wouldn't comment on how someone is supposed to act in this terrible circumstance. We are all different, and I'm sure if the parents sat inside a darkened room screaming and shouting, it wouldn't help them, or their cause of keeping this story in the public domain.

Sixteen years ago I had an eighteen year old cousin who was murdred at home in Bolton-le-Sands, Crimewatch reconstruction, the lot. It was a terrible time, especially for his grieving family. What was the hardest cross to bear wasn't the fact that his family had to be treated as suspects, but the fact that memebers of the public felt able to pass comment on how grief was shown, and that it might be seen as some sort of implication.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2007, 18:24   #356
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I was one of the people who initially crtiticised the couple's decision to leave the children in the apartment, and I stand by the fact that I haven't, and wouldn't, leave children in my care out of sight/earshot. I wouldn't even leave my passport or wallet on the bed in a locked holiday apartment whilst having dinner.

However I certainly wouldn't comment on how someone is supposed to act in this terrible circumstance. We are all different, and I'm sure if the parents sat inside a darkened room screaming and shouting, it wouldn't help them, or their cause of keeping this story in the public domain.

Sixteen years ago I had an eighteen year old cousin who was murdred at home in Bolton-le-Sands, Crimewatch reconstruction, the lot. It was a terrible time, especially for his grieving family. What was the hardest cross to bear wasn't the fact that his family had to be treated as suspects, but the fact that memebers of the public felt able to pass comment on how grief was shown, and that it might be seen as some sort of implication.
I am sorry about that, thats truly horrible.

But I also cant imagine that your family went campaigning to find the killer whilst laughing on tv, because its ridiculous. Theres a difference between having a smile and a laugh and skipping around the world acting like princess diana and trying to get celebrity status.

Theres enough children missing in our country alone, never mind the entire world yet we're being forced to watch this story day in and day out about the same. Whats so special about this one compared to the other millions? The only reason its on telly is for the controversy of what people think.
Old 15-06-2007, 18:39   #357
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Whats so special about this one compared to the other millions?
Nothing.

But I'd do anything, if it were my child, to keep the story hot in the media, in the hope that it might help find her. Laugh, smile, have my photograph taken, walk across hot coals, whatever it took.

If this is all they feel they can proactively do, I'll not criticise them for it.

Hiding away, and crying, and screaming, won't help find this child.

Old 15-06-2007, 18:44   #358
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Theres enough children missing in our country alone, never mind the entire world yet we're being forced to watch this story day in and day out about the same. Whats so special about this one compared to the other millions?
That's an excellent point. Although truly a horrendous incident, I can't help wondering about all the good that the money they have raised could do for other missing children. The fund was over half a million last time I heard and rather than flying around in private jets, think of all the good that could have been done.
Old 15-06-2007, 18:50   #359
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
That's an excellent point. Although truly a horrendous incident, I can't help wondering about all the good that the money they have raised could do for other missing children. The fund was over half a million last time I heard and rather than flying around in private jets, think of all the good that could have been done.
You can't criticise the parents for the amount of money members of the public have sent in. Although according to the police it may have hindered the investigation, it's the public's response. I've never seen the parents appealing for cash, just publicity, which it is their right to do so.

Old 15-06-2007, 18:50   #360
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

people act differently when showing their emotions, i know if it was my child i would not be able to go in front of people, i would be in bits!
and i seriously doubt the parents have anything to do with this!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..