Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-06-2007, 19:18   #361
Senior Member+

re: Missing child in Portugal - Madeleine McCann

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
You can't criticise the parents for the amount of money members of the public have sent in. Although according to the police it may have hindered the investigation, it's the public's response. I've never seen the parents appealing for cash, just publicity, which it is their right to do so.
Hmmmm.... where did I say that? I merely commented that more good could have been done with the money than swanning off around Europe. It could have been used to help other children, then at least some good could have come out of this mess.
Old 15-06-2007, 19:22   #362
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
Hmmmm.... where did I say that? I merely commented that more good could have been done with the money than swanning off around Europe. It could have been used to help other children, then at least some good could have come out of this mess.
Plus their uncle quit his job and became chairman of the charity so he conveniently gets a nice cut of the charitable funds.

The money should go towards private investigators then they dont need to keep complaining about portugals police force and complaining about them in the papers
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2007, 20:23   #363
Passed away 25-11-09

I am fortunate enough never to have had the horror of losing a child either by death or in this awful way but I did see my husband, who was a big strong man, die within 2 days from meningococcal septicaemia at the age of 55 - 11 years ago next week. Suffering from shock as well as grief, I couldn't function and didn't eat for a week, spending a lot of time with my head in my hands, sobbing. I had 3 grown up children and they got me through but I had to take stock and realize they were grieving too. None of them had had the chance to say goodbye to him and they were hurting too but they had put me first. I had to let them see that I was all right, for their sakes.

I laughed with them, after the funeral, when my husband's friends came back to the house. I felt like screaming but I didn't, I smiled. I went back to work and I put my "professional head" on, it helped, then I went home each evening and howled. It's what you have to do or you go mad. Though sometimes I couldn't stop the odd tear, I did my best not to cry when other people were around. Public grief is no more genuine than private grief.

I don't agree with the media hype the case has generated and I think the public has latched on to this in an unhealthy way, similar to when Diana died. I totally agree with those who point out that many other children have gone missing, and worse, without the hysteria that we have seen here. I don't, however, blame the McCanns for wanting to do everything they can in the belief that it will help. I felt guilty when my husband died because I hadn't called a doctor earlier, thinking he had gastric flu, the symptoms were identical. I can imagine how they must feel having left that child unattended, albeit only a few yards away. Whatever the outcome, that feeling of guilt will never leave them and is probably driving them to do things they might not, otherwise, do.
Old 15-06-2007, 23:30   #364
Give, give, give member

I quite agree. The money people have sent, unasked for by her parents, seems to be some way for people to assuage some sort of public guilt/grief, in the same way they did after Diana died.

Don't blame the parents for sending in this money. People chose to do so. They had, and have, every opportunity to other gift money to charities dealing with missing children etc.

If I was her father, and it meant using this money to publicise Madeline's disappearance, in the hope she may yet be found, I'd do it.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2007, 08:44   #365
Senior Member+

Says it all really.
Old 16-06-2007, 12:24   #366
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
Says it all really.
Its like one circle of exploitation if you ask me. Its funny that theyre going round places where madeleine is going to stand out like a sore thumb.
How about touring places that have white children with blonde hair were her kidnappers would most likely take her to hide?
They arent going to be trying to hide a blonde haired girl in the middle of a coloured community are they?

They're exploiting madeleine going missing to pay for them to stay abroad rather than returning their other 2 childrens lives back to normal at home whilst the police do their work, and theyre exploiting good people by waving a charity in their face and making them feel like they should care about this one little girl.

They aren't completely wrong when they describe her as one in a million. One in a million of other lost children in the world. She isnt any more special than them and theres nothing that makes me think i need to donate to a charity to help find that one single missing child when there are charities to help focus on finding ALL missing children.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2007, 13:25   #367
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Its like one circle of exploitation if you ask me. Its funny that theyre going round places where madeleine is going to stand out like a sore thumb.
How about touring places that have white children with blonde hair were her kidnappers would most likely take her to hide?
They arent going to be trying to hide a blonde haired girl in the middle of a coloured community are they?

They're exploiting madeleine going missing to pay for them to stay abroad rather than returning their other 2 childrens lives back to normal at home whilst the police do their work, and theyre exploiting good people by waving a charity in their face and making them feel like they should care about this one little girl.

They aren't completely wrong when they describe her as one in a million. One in a million of other lost children in the world. She isnt any more special than them and theres nothing that makes me think i need to donate to a charity to help find that one single missing child when there are charities to help focus on finding ALL missing children.
Your naiveity is almost funny, almost.

You never heard of hair dye?

I think the parents have been targeting countries with strong tourist links to that part of the Algarve, or places which will generate the most publicity, such as the Vatican.

Just a note. Since you've said you intend to study law in the future, the term 'colored' which you used, as been deemed offensive for at tleast the last thirty years, and might not go down to well in court.

Instead of criticising Madeline's parents, who have never pleaded for public money, and seem to be doing the only thing they can think of to help the search, why not go and do something proactive for another charity if you're so keen?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2007, 15:54   #368
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post

They're exploiting madeleine going missing to pay for them to stay abroad rather than returning their other 2 childrens lives back to normal at home whilst the police do their work,
That sounds awfully cruel. Exploiting their daughter's disappearance in order to stay abroad? Could you really believe that? As a parent I can understand the need to feel close to where the child was last with them. I'm sure they would much rather be at home with all of their children than to have one of them disappear so they can exploit that as an excuse to stay abroad.

Quote:

They aren't completely wrong when they describe her as one in a million. One in a million of other lost children in the world. She isnt any more special than them
To every loving parent their own child is 'one in a million'. That's the special bond a parent has with a child. How could they describe her as anything less?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 13:38   #369
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

i think i need glasses!, i cant believe some of the things said on ere!!

some people dont know what they are talking about!
Old 18-06-2007, 15:10   #370
Resident Waffler

Sometimes events in a person's own life can give them a very cynical outlook. Perhaps in a few years time when life is different they will look back and see how heartless they sounded.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 16:04   #371
Senior Member+

I just hope she is found soon bless her. x
Old 19-06-2007, 09:16   #372
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUMMIBOO View Post
I just hope she is found soon bless her. x
exactly mummiboo, poor thing!
Old 22-06-2007, 12:26   #373
God Member

The search for Madeleine has been taken to Spain and Morocco
Police in Malta say they are investigating possible sightings of Madeleine McCann, 50 days after she disappeared from a Portuguese resort.
A number of UK tourists have reported seeing a child resembling the missing four-year-old in the island's capital, Valletta, and the resort of Sliema.

One said he saw a couple with a girl, who appeared to be wearing a black wig.

Meanwhile, yellow balloons will be released in 50 countries to keep up vigilance in the search for Madeleine.

Superintendent Pierre Calleja said Maltese police had received a report last Sunday of a possible sighting.

"Subsequent to this report, a full scale police investigation and a magisterial inquiry were initiated," he said.

"These investigations are actively in progress and all possible avenues are being pursued."

A spokesman for Madeleine's parents, Gerry and Kate McCann, said they were not giving credence to the claims at this stage.

Kites and doves

Madeleine went missing from Praia da Luz in the Algarve on 3 May.

Her parents, from Rothley in Leicestershire, will release 50 yellow balloons from the resort's beach today to mark the 50 days since her disappearance.

Supporters in countries including Ireland, Argentina, the US, Singapore and Australia will then follow suit.

In Afghanistan, campaigners will fly 50 kites emblazoned with pictures of the missing four-year-old, a report on the FindMadeleine website said.

And in California, 50 white doves will be released.

A message from the McCanns on the website said: "The objective is simple - after seven weeks missing, we must continue to ensure she is not forgotten."

The McCanns are also considering releasing a cover version of the Bryan Adams' song Everything I Do, I Do It For You, in an effort to raise more money for their campaign.

Speaking to Sky News Mr McCann said: "That song, at the minute, best reflects how Kate and I feel emotionally and how determined we are to continue searching for Madeleine.

Maltese newspaper In-Nazzjon reported that two tourists told police they had seen a girl matching Madeleine's description in Valletta.

Other reports said four more people had subsequently come forward with possible sightings.

A Maltese magistrate has taken evidence from those claiming to have seen Madeleine.

'Pitch black' hair

Ray Roberts, from Anglesey, north Wales, said he saw a child in Sliema wearing what looked like a black wig and being told "Get up, little girl" by a man of Arab appearance.

"It was obviously not his first language so it seemed odd that he had to speak to her in English," Mr Roberts said.

"As a father, their reaction did not seem natural."

He added: "Then I noticed the little girl's hair.

"It was pitch black, very thick and cut in an unusual style for a child that age - very much like a wig rather than real hair.

"The more I think about what I saw the more convinced I become that it may well have been Maddie.

"The oddness of it all played out in my mind until I got home then I realised I had to do something."

The McCanns' spokeswoman said they were not focusing on the sightings until more information was available from an official source.

"Their whole attitude from day one has been that they know there are going to be lots of bits of information, but if they expended energy on every single one of them what would they be like by now?" she said.

omg i hope this is good news
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2007, 12:58   #374
Member.

Cheers Cherokee......

I don’t really understand these people who say that they might have seen her? If it was me I’d contact the local police immediately and follow the suspects until help arrived, no point in buggering about making claims after the event.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2007, 13:19   #375
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

thats true she could be miles away if that was her, its been 50 days now, time is running out!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..