Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2007, 20:00   #451
God Member

re: Missing child in Portugal - Madeleine McCann

It has just been said on Sky News that a member of Kate's family has said that Kate was offered a deal by Portugese police to confess to accidentally killing Madeleine and disposing of her body. In return they would guarantee that she would serve no more than 2 years in prison.
Really gives you faith in the police doesn't it?
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-09-2007, 20:24   #452
Resident Waffler

And if she is totally innocent meanwhile a child abductor/abuser/murder goes free?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 00:23   #453
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

just seen that the Mcanns lawyer has said the father has also been named as a suspect. this seems to be on information passed from the british (Birmingham)the lab, while i find it hard to believe they are guilty, if the portugese were trying to fit them up (as some suspect) i think that 2 countries police forces colluding a hell of a site harder to believe.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:53   #454
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
And if she is totally innocent meanwhile a child abductor/abuser/murder goes free?
It's happened here many times in high profile crimes...Guilford 4, Birmingham 6 (not a football result)..and many times in individual cases, a man found guilty of shooting Jill Dando without any evidence (no witnesses,no murder weapon and no motive).
Seems that when the police are under immense pressure to nail a culprit they will resort to fitting people up.. while the real culprit gets off scot free!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 12:29   #455
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
It's happened here many times in high profile crimes...Guilford 4, Birmingham 6 (not a football result)..and many times in individual cases, a man found guilty of shooting Jill Dando without any evidence (no witnesses,no murder weapon and no motive).
Seems that when the police are under immense pressure to nail a culprit they will resort to fitting people up.. while the real culprit gets off scot free!
normally i would agree,but when an investigation involves the forces of 2 countries, i think a fit up is too risky.
Old 08-09-2007, 15:35   #456
Resident Waffler

Why should it be unusual for the car to have her DNA though? I mean how strange would it be for the parents to have something in their possession which had the child's DNA? A hair on a garment they hadn't worn since her disappearance for example. Then several days later they wear that garment when using a hire car.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 15:53   #457
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Why should it be unusual for the car to have her DNA though? I mean how strange would it be for the parents to have something in their possession which had the child's DNA? A hair on a garment they hadn't worn since her disappearance for example. Then several days later they wear that garment when using a hire car.
25 days = several? we just dont know --yet.
Old 08-09-2007, 15:56   #458
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
That's what I was trying to say, Mancie.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 19:20   #459
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Is child neglect a crime?
Good point,"would you have left 3 young children to wine and dine yourself?" Watever the outcome of this trsgedy, the Mc Canns are guilty of this, and in my opinion is a disgrace that should haunt them both for ever,I hope.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 19:28   #460
God Member

There has been something about this whole business which has sat awkwardly with me from the start and I think, in the main, it is the lack of the expected reactions from those involved. The first suspect appeared to be taking all of the acusations in his stride when, if he were innocent and uninvolved, one would normally expect him to be shouting his innocence from the rooftops and demanding that his accusors either put up or shut up. The other thing that puzzles me is the actions and reactions of the parents over the last few months - this is just not normal. A couple who appeared to be less like anxious, grieving parents and more like two people playing a role it would be hard to imagine.

The whole thing was discussed at dinner the other night, chez Acrylic bob, and an elderly relative with a psychic reputation said that when she first saw the picture of the missing child shortly after the story broke in May, she was struck by the overwhelming impression that the child was abused - something in the eyes and the set of the lips, apparently.

I honestly do not know what to think about the situation, but I am certain that we have not yet heard the truth.
Old 08-09-2007, 19:34   #461
God Member

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...l-30497-3.html

see posts 41 and 42
Old 08-09-2007, 19:38   #462
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
The other thing that puzzles me is the actions and reactions of the parents over the last few months - this is just not normal. A couple who appeared to be less like anxious, grieving parents and more like two people playing a role it would be hard to imagine.
I've quoted this part of Acrylic-bob's post because I've heard this point many times... but what are the "normal" reactions and actions of parents who have their child abducted?.. I don't know because it's never happened to me our anyone I know... so what sort of reaction should we expect?..crying on TV everyday?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 19:42   #463
Resting in peace

I do not thimk we will ever know the truth the suspects have managed to keep silent (if they knew anything) for all this time are highly unlikely to admit anything now. The Keystone Portugese police force have little or no evidence that fact is plainly obvious, this will forever be a mystery to anyone but a few.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 19:47   #464
God Member

I have to say I am not sure if I could describe what a "normal" reaction might be since such reactions vary in intensity from person to person. But I do feel that the "media blitz" approach is somehow not the thing that one would usually expect - there is something lacking. and it is that imponderable "something" which sets my antenae twitching.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 08-09-2007 at 19:49.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 20:56   #465
Passed away 25-11-09

The campaign launched by the family has blown up in their faces. From the start it angered a lot of people because it was manipulated to elicit sympathy and donations to a cause that was not unique. It worked in that it became quite the In Thing to show support, the yellow ribbons etc., and it brought in a lot of money but there were always those who remembered that many children go missing without constant media hype surrounding their cases.

I do not know the McCanns but, from what I've seen of them, I don't like them. He appears to be an arrogant and manipulative man and she seems to go from one extreme to the other in her displays, or not, of emotion. That doesn't mean, however, that I believe they harmed the child. I am no more privvy to any real evidence than anyone else on this site and it's not for me to judge.

The police case against the mother seems implausible to say the least. She is alleged to have killed the child and concealed the body before going for a meal and behaving perfectly normally then faking devastation at finding her "missing". She is then alleged to have kept the corpse hidden for 3 weeks, despite the police asserting that they have made a thorough search of the area, then removed it in a hired car, unseen by the possé of Press who have been in constant attendance. The dead body of the child is said to have deposited blood stains in the car which seems unlikely as, after 3 weeks, I would expect severe decomposition rather than bleeding, particularly in a hot climate.

The Portugese police seem to be following the sentiments of the population and the media. When "sightings" of the child were being reported on a daily basis they were certain the child had been abducted. Next they assumed that Robert Murat had abducted/murdered the child, because a reporter said he was "behaving just like Ian Huntley", and made him the prime suspect. Now that the locals have tired of the McCann circus and hinted that the child has been killed by her parents the police have decided that must be the solution.

I have no idea what the outcome of this case will be. I have thought from the start that the little girl was probably dead and I have found the "Find Madeleine" campaign hysterical and over-hyped but I can only wait to see what further evidence is produced. That's all any of us can do.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..