Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2007, 21:07   #466
God Member

re: Missing child in Portugal - Madeleine McCann

To add to the implausability of the case that the police appear to be making against the McGanns at the moment - the couple remained in Portugal at the scene of the supposed crime and instead of trying to play things down they made a huge public affair of it. Surely no one could be so hard faced that they could accidentally kill their own child then attempt to capitalise on it in such a way that brings excessive amounts of publicity to the case?

Additionally they appear to claim that the cause of death was accidental overdose of a sedative. These two people are both Doctors - surely if anyone knew the exact measure to give to anyone to sedate them they would know.

I find it all a bit odd.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-09-2007, 21:17   #467
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
The campaign launched by the family has blown up in their faces. From the start it angered a lot of people because it was manipulated to elicit sympathy and donations to a cause that was not unique. It worked in that it became quite the In Thing to show support, the yellow ribbons etc., and it brought in a lot of money but there were always those who remembered that many children go missing without constant media hype surrounding their cases.

I do not know the McCanns but, from what I've seen of them, I don't like them. He appears to be an arrogant and manipulative man and she seems to go from one extreme to the other in her displays, or not, of emotion. That doesn't mean, however, that I believe they harmed the child. I am no more privvy to any real evidence than anyone else on this site and it's not for me to judge.

The police case against the mother seems implausible to say the least. She is alleged to have killed the child and concealed the body before going for a meal and behaving perfectly normally then faking devastation at finding her "missing". She is then alleged to have kept the corpse hidden for 3 weeks, despite the police asserting that they have made a thorough search of the area, then removed it in a hired car, unseen by the possé of Press who have been in constant attendance. The dead body of the child is said to have deposited blood stains in the car which seems unlikely as, after 3 weeks, I would expect severe decomposition rather than bleeding, particularly in a hot climate.

The Portugese police seem to be following the sentiments of the population and the media. When "sightings" of the child were being reported on a daily basis they were certain the child had been abducted. Next they assumed that Robert Murat had abducted/murdered the child, because a reporter said he was "behaving just like Ian Huntley", and made him the prime suspect. Now that the locals have tired of the McCann circus and hinted that the child has been killed by her parents the police have decided that must be the solution.

I have no idea what the outcome of this case will be. I have thought from the start that the little girl was probably dead and I have found the "Find Madeleine" campaign hysterical and over-hyped but I can only wait to see what further evidence is produced. That's all any of us can do.
That echoes my sentiments entirely.
my first and last post on this topic

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 21:21   #468
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
To add to the implausability of the case that the police appear to be making against the McGanns at the moment - the couple remained in Portugal at the scene of the supposed crime and instead of trying to play things down they made a huge public affair of it. Surely no one could be so hard faced that they could accidentally kill their own child then attempt to capitalise on it in such a way that brings excessive amounts of publicity to the case?

Additionally they appear to claim that the cause of death was accidental overdose of a sedative. These two people are both Doctors - surely if anyone knew the exact measure to give to anyone to sedate them they would know.

I find it all a bit odd.
Yes... and if the child was killed by some tragic accident why should the parents try to cover up ?.. it's all rubbish.. the police are really scraping the barrel.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 21:54   #469
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool re: Missing child in Portugal - Madeleine McCann

What if!

The McCann’s keen to get to the dinner party couldn’t get Madeleine settled and asleep before they left? Kids don’t always go to sleep on command. Sometimes they like to play it up a bit or they are not tired. They could hardly leave whilst the child was still awake so Mr Mc says to Mrs Mc lets give her some xxxxxx. After all they are both doctors and would have something to hand for emergencies.

What if Mr Mc gave the child a sedative and then Mrs Mc did the same without realising that Mr Mc had already done so. They come back from dinner, check on the kids and find Madeleine dead from an accidental overdose.

Panic! What to do? Answer! Hide the body away from the apartment. Stage a break in. Call in the police with the abduction story. Eventually hire a car and take the body away to some remote place and bury it. A putrefying body could easily transfer bloody material to Mr or Mrs McGann’s clothes to then rub off in the hired car.

In the meantime make their concern as high profile as possible to establish what bereaved parents they were.

As Sherlock Holmes used to state something to the effect of, “if you discard all the evidence leaving only the highly improbable then that must be it.”

Fanciful? Probably but in the light of events it has to be considered and not discarded until proven to be inaccurate.
Old 08-09-2007, 21:55   #470
Member.

This case as always gives me a sense that all isn’t right in the coal shed. I have always believed that one or both parents have something to hide over the loss/death of their child.

What struck me the other day was the mother saying that they where loving, responsible parents? This does not fit the picture of parents leaving three children under the age of three alone whilst they go out to enjoy a evening meal, being medical professionals you would have thought that they would have understood the risks involved in leaving underage children alone at night, especially in a strange place. I would also consider the repetitive visiting of the apartment through the night a bit risky also.

Personally I feel that the Police are closer to the truth than we might expect. Whatever the case these people should be subject to investigation on there eventual return home for negligence and child neglect the same as any parent would face in the UK for leaving children alone and exposed.

The other thing that struck me was the fact that until last week the parents of Madeline had insisted that would stay abroad until the daughter was found, after becoming suspects they have made the statement that they can’t wait to leave Portugal. Strange that.

Just word of caution. In Britain most child murders are done by a parent, relative or someone known to them, and quite often it is a child from a normal family with a good reputation. I think we would wish or want the outcome to be different, for the perpetrator to be caught and for Madeline to come home to her family, God if it could be, then let it be, but I fear this may turn into one of those tragic cases where an act of selfishness lead to the death of a loved one. What ever the truth, let there be justice.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 22:11   #471
Resting in peace

ThePortugese police force must have been 'monitoring the McCanns movements early on in this sad story as it 'smelled' rather fishy,two educated parents leaving three very young children alone to wine and dine is a crime against humanity, they could have done anything as kids, will be kids and no sane person could have been so stupid, They are now being turned into scapegoats for the most innefecient police force in the world.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 22:21   #472
Accy Goddess

well said Doug
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 23:20   #473
white rabbits

I still have a gut feeling that it will turn out all right...Oh i do hope so...
That is one beautiful little girl...
Old 08-09-2007, 23:33   #474
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret View Post
i think everyone would hope that granny, unfortunatly i fear the worst.
Old 09-09-2007, 00:52   #475
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Yes... and if the child was killed by some tragic accident why should the parents try to cover up ?.. it's all rubbish.. the police are really scraping the barrel.
Why should the police try to scrape the barrel? Surely they want to find out what happened!!!
Old 09-09-2007, 01:04   #476
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
their position in society could be a good reason, if that turns out to be the case. everybodys not like us mancie.

Last edited by cashman; 09-09-2007 at 01:06. Reason: add
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 01:20   #477
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
their position in society could be a good reason, if that turns out to be the case. everybodys not like us mancie.
Quite right Cash , had it been mine or your child we would have been the main suspect from day one!!!
Old 09-09-2007, 06:41   #478
Senior Member+

it would appear being god fearing people
has been their downfall
how can a crumpled page in bible
suddenly become the main clue as to their guilt
once again to echo most peoples thoughts
incompetance

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:29   #479
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
ThePortugese police force must have been 'monitoring the McCanns movements early on in this sad story as it 'smelled' rather fishy,
I absolutely agree there Ian. They would have been watched, which is why it makes it even more implausible that they could have hired a car 25 days later in order to dispose of a decomposing body which the police have still failed to locate!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:36   #480
Apprentice Geriatric

Question re: Missing child in Portugal - Madeleine McCann

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret View Post
Would your feeling still be the same if it were an ugly looking child?

Has anyone else noticed that whenever there is a tragic event, if the victim is young female, she is always described as beautiful as if that had something to do with the grief?

The McCanns have stated that they are not running away from Portugal but returning home for the sake of the twins.

It took them three months to consider the twins???

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..