Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-09-2008, 15:33   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Money To Burn.

It wasn’t all that long ago with much trumpeting and flag waving the Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council embraced the in word of the day – re-cycling.

Who knows what it cost but all residents were issued with a brown bin for garden refuse, a blue box with lid for paper and a green box also with a lid for metal, plastic and glass. Leaving the current dark grey bin for refuse that cannot be re-cycled.

And now, as announced in a letter delivered by hand, they intend to introduce the “Burgundy Bin” and refuse collection will be reverting to weekly collections.

Up until now the dark grey wheelie bin was for rubbish that couldn’t be re-cycled so what does Peter Hunt - Director, Regeneration And Environment Department decide?

The dark grey wheelie bin will now be used as a re-cycle bin for stuff like glass, cans, plastic, paper and cardboard with an added piece of information that reads: “No more sorting through your rubbish - we can do that for you!” The new burgundy bin will be for household rubbish that cannot be re-cycled. A recipe for confusion if ever there was one.

There is no mention of the brown bin for garden refuse, although a phone call to the Regeneration And Environment Department confirmed that the brown bin will continue to be used for garden refuse.

Now if they don’t want the blue and brown boxes back they will make very good large plant pots. They will just need some drainage holes drilling in the bottom.
Old 23-09-2008, 15:37   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Money To Burn.

Wouldn't it have made more sense to leave the grey bin for non-recycle stuff and the new one for glass, plastic etc??
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2008, 15:45   #3
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
It wasn’t all that long ago with much trumpeting and flag waving the Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council embraced the in word of the day – re-cycling.

Who knows what it cost but all residents were issued with a brown bin for garden refuse, a blue box with lid for paper and a green box also with a lid for metal, plastic and glass. Leaving the current dark grey bin for refuse that cannot be re-cycled.

And now, as announced in a letter delivered by hand, they intend to introduce the “Burgundy Bin” and refuse collection will be reverting to weekly collections.

Up until now the dark grey wheelie bin was for rubbish that couldn’t be re-cycled so what does Peter Hunt - Director, Regeneration And Environment Department decide?

The dark grey wheelie bin will now be used as a re-cycle bin for stuff like glass, cans, plastic, paper and cardboard with an added piece of information that reads: “No more sorting through your rubbish - we can do that for you!” The new burgundy bin will be for household rubbish that cannot be re-cycled. A recipe for confusion if ever there was one.

There is no mention of the brown bin for garden refuse, although a phone call to the Regeneration And Environment Department confirmed that the brown bin will continue to be used for garden refuse.

Now if they don’t want the blue and brown boxes back they will make very good large plant pots. They will just need some drainage holes drilling in the bottom.
Shouldn't this be addressed by people from, Blackburn with Darren?

I know the sub title mentions surrounding area, but surely you could fill a server nearer home, Hyndburn and district have their own problems, we don't really need yours!

Sorry everyone else for my quoting him, I just couldn't find a place that made sense to stop, (not on my own there am I Butt?).
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2008, 15:46   #4
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Money To Burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emzy View Post
Wouldn't it have made more sense to leave the grey bin for non-recycle stuff and the new one for glass, plastic etc??
Yes it would. But this is a command from the Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council and they must be obeyed at all times without question.

However a further phone call to the Regeneration And Environment Department reveals that the blue and green boxes will not be reclaimed and I can use mine as large plant pots if I wish.
Old 23-09-2008, 15:48   #5
God Member

JB, we have had our burgundy bins in Blackburn for nearly a year now and use our grey bins for re-cycling, it does work out better, i never fill my burgundy bin which is now emptied every week and the grey bin is excellent for re-cycling, it means everything goes in one bin and doesnt blow all over the road as it used to

if you look at my 'growing your own veggies' thread you will see what i use my old re-cycling bins for....i grew my spuds in them this year

it all works out fine once you get used to it
Old 23-09-2008, 15:51   #6
Senior Member+

Does sound like a better idea, just to have 2 big bins, just would have thought it would make more sense (and less confusion) to leave the grey bin as it was and just replace the old recycling boxes with a new bin lol
Old 23-09-2008, 15:53   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emzy View Post
Does sound like a better idea, just to have 2 big bins, just would have thought it would make more sense (and less confusion) to leave the grey bin as it was and just replace the old recycling boxes with a new bin lol

its a lot better em
Old 23-09-2008, 15:55   #8
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
JB, we have had our burgundy bins in Blackburn for nearly a year now and use our grey bins for re-cycling, it does work out better, i never fill my burgundy bin which is now emptied every week and the grey bin is excellent for re-cycling, it means everything goes in one bin and doesnt blow all over the road as it used to

if you look at my 'growing your own veggies' thread you will see what i use my old re-cycling bins for....i grew my spuds in them this year

it all works out fine once you get used to it
Oh! I agree with you – all recycling in one bin instead of boxes does make sense. But as the lady at the Regeneration And Environment Department stated, initially there was a lot of confusion with the wrong stuff in the wrong bin. It could all have been avoided.
Old 23-09-2008, 15:55   #9
Senior Member+

wonder if hyndburn will follow??

Would be good if they did, hate having recycling lying round the house for a fortnight
Old 23-09-2008, 15:57   #10
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Shouldn't this be addressed by people from, Blackburn with Darren?

I know the sub title mentions surrounding area, but surely you could fill a server nearer home, Hyndburn and district have their own problems, we don't really need yours!

Sorry everyone else for my quoting him, I just couldn't find a place that made sense to stop, (not on my own there am I Butt?).
Two other people have responded in this thread.

Are you going to have a poke at them too? If not why not?
Old 23-09-2008, 16:00   #11
God Member

Quote:
Oh! I agree with you – all recycling in one bin instead of boxes does make sense. But as the lady at the Regeneration And Environment Department stated, initially there was a lot of confusion with the wrong stuff in the wrong bin. It could all have been avoided.

yeah i suppose they could have explained it a bit better, if they had then it would have saved you ringing up and wasting a phone call
Old 23-09-2008, 16:00   #12

Quote:

Because you're more fun, (I like you and I'm shy).

Old 23-09-2008, 16:04   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:

I think Less finds it bettr having a poke at you JB as he always gets a reaction
Old 23-09-2008, 16:08   #14
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I think Less finds it bettr having a poke at you JB as he always gets a reaction
Not always.

Just when I can be bothered and I’ve finished watching the paint dry.
Old 23-09-2008, 16:15   #15

Quote:
Not always.

Just when I can be bothered and I’ve finished watching the paint dry.
Yet more bull, you react to anyone that dares to say you're wrong, which looking at this whole situation statistically would be approximately, or near abouts, very close to 100%!

The reason it's 100% is because if your name didn't appear at the top of your post you would be the first to disagree with it, otherwise I'd approximate a modest 99.999999999999999% of the members, do you remember the members? They are the people that have to be here for you to disagree with!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..