Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-07-2008, 10:14   #1
Resting in Peace

More Ads on TV.

A new Scheme governing TV advertising comes into force on Sept 1st, under the old rules there had to be 20 minutes between ads, thats why a program which has only been on for a few minutes goes to an ad break, sometimes before the titles have finish. In new rules anounced by Ofcom, there can be adverts every 30 minutes in films instead of 45 minutes, and restrictions will also be scraped during curret affairs shows and programs about religion. Thank God for Sky+
Old 25-07-2008, 10:40   #2
God Member

Re: More Ads on TV.

Yeah I definitely think it is time to record stuff on the harddrive and start watching it 10 mins later
to be able to skip thro the adverts
Old 25-07-2008, 14:56   #3

adverts are a pain in the neck, you just get interested in a programme and it flits off for the adverts, it is impossible to watch a decent film, i know bbc don't have them, adverts that is, but it is a load of rubbish most of the time
vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 14:56   #4
God Member

Posted via Mobile Device

Now if only you could tell it to not record the ads in the first place
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 15:06   #5

Do people still watch television?
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 15:25   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Thank God for Sky+

Here, Here................the wonders of modern technologhy eh?
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 15:28   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
Do people still watch television?

Does this make me not normal??? I still watch television (from time to time)
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 16:11   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by emzy View Post
Does this make me not normal??? I still watch television (from time to time)
Don't take no notice its polly going of on one, I watch the TV most of the day except when I'm on here, then I have my music on and if Idecide to have a read which is quite often
Old 25-07-2008, 16:13   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Posted via Mobile Device

I think that maybe the next thing on the agenda entwisi, now I would invest in that
Old 25-07-2008, 17:01   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
There was a VCR that did this. It worked by "guessing" that if an image was on the screen for 2 seconds, it was either the beginning or end of the programme and start of adverts (ie the ident of the program). Basically the ad men got it removed by threatening to remove the money, and the TV stations couldnt risk it so the VCR was removed.

Its a toss up. Would you pay a lot more for SKY,Virgin etc if it had no adverts ? Dont forget in theory adverts subsidise the cost of the programmes etc.

So if the license fee is £150 ish quid for 4 TV channels per year, plus some other stuff. Would you pay £150 per year for sky 1,2,+3 ? What about UK gold etc ?

Now what would be good is if you could chose the exact programmes you wanted to watch and got charged for watching them only regardless of the channel they are on. If you take the adverts with the programme you get it 1/2 price or something
banjoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 19:47   #11
God Member

Think positive ... if it weren't for the ads, you would have to miss part of the show to get your beer, grab something to munch on, or go to the can
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 19:52   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyLass27 View Post
Yeah I definitely think it is time to record stuff on the harddrive and start watching it 10 mins later
to be able to skip thro the adverts
can you do that ? (watch the same program you are recording with a time lag) still trying to figure my DVR out
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 19:54   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
can you do that ? (watch the same program you are recording with a time lag) still trying to figure my DVR out
Yes I know someone who always does that. For an hour programme, wait 10 minutes then start watching it. You can then speed through the adverts and still finish at the same time
Old 25-07-2008, 20:02   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoman View Post
Yes I know someone who always does that. For an hour programme, wait 10 minutes then start watching it. You can then speed through the adverts and still finish at the same time
thanks , will give it a try
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 20:04   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post

Oh yes, we do this quite a lot.
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..