Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-02-2005, 12:13   #1
God Member

Most sickening story of the week...

It looks as though the Happy Clappers are gearing up for a spring offensive... or should that be an offensive spring? Speaking personally I am sick to the back teeth of bible thumpers who think they have the god given right to dictate national morality.

Have a read of this from this morning's Times...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...501029,00.html
Old 26-02-2005, 14:15   #2

Re: Most sickening story of the week...

Do-gooders like that knock me sick. Its people like this that give religion a bad name.
Old 26-02-2005, 14:39   #3
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by -pixie
Do-gooders like that knock me sick. Its people like this that give religion a bad name.
so no free speech then for certain people? ......have they made listening compulsory?.... just let them have their say....like everybody on here does.
removal-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2005, 14:39   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
It looks as though the Happy Clappers are gearing up for a spring offensive... or should that be an offensive spring? Speaking personally I am sick to the back teeth of bible thumpers who think they have the god given right to dictate national morality.

Have a read of this from this morning's Times...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...501029,00.html
so no free speech then for certain people? ......have they made listening compulsory?.... just let them have their say....like everybody on here does.
removal-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2005, 15:52   #5
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

It makes me laugh that these so-called anti abortion extremists cannot even get their terminology right. An abortion is a medical condition known to most as a miscarriage. In most cases it cannot be helped and there is no apparrent cause. The ending of a pregnancy by surgical or medical means is a termination not an abortion. It strikes me that those who plead a cause and cannot be bothered to find out and use the correct terminology are not worth listening to.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2005, 16:12   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by removal-man
I have no problem at all with people having free speech. Its when they intimidate people who are already at a very sensitive point in their lives, putting it all under a mask of morals and freedom of speech.
Old 26-02-2005, 16:23   #7
I am Banned

i realy cant wait until the last page of the bible is found it will most likely read the following and shut christian do gooders up for a while

all chareters in this book are purely fictional and any reseblence to people in real life is purely coincidental

author - ewa beenhad

there are so many flaws in religeon especialy chritianity its amazing that anyone actualy follows it lol

as for these looneys protesting we should be allowed to throw razor blades at them and other horrible things

sounds bad but dont forget their lord will save them

Last edited by chav1; 26-02-2005 at 16:28.
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2005, 16:52   #8
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I have nothing against a person's religious beliefs and moral beliefs but I do think that it is wrong to impose your beliefs on others. There's freedom of speech and there's intimidation. I do believe that these people will get their come-uppances, I have seen this happen before in the most appropriate of ways. A good few years ago an acquaintance of mine used to harp on about how she didn't agree with termination for whatever reason, and literally accused women of murder, but still helped arrange one for her 15 year old daughter. Funny how some people's attitudes can suddenly change to suit their circumstances.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..

Last edited by lettie; 27-02-2005 at 07:21.
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2005, 18:33   #9
I am Banned

the two things that have caused more death and war in the world are christianity and the muslim faith

if religeon was abolished there would be a lot less trouble in this world

if you think abortion is wrong then say it is wrong and dont do it your self but dont go claiming you speak on behalf of god as ime pretty sure if he is as almighty as people claim to be he is quite capable of fighting his own battles

these people are no better than islamic terrorists as they are both guilty of forcing their religeous beliefs onto others who dont share their point of view

yes i am a non believer and if i am ever proved wrong and end up been judged before god when i die then people in heaven better brace themselves because someones in for an ass kicking for how he let our world fall lnto such a sorry state

like i said its upto these people what they belive or think about abortion but to put it simply i just dont care what they think and ime betting over 80% of the population couldnt care either so they should pack up and leave the doctors to do what they are been asked to do
Old 26-02-2005, 18:36   #10
Resident Waffler

They are entitled to have their opinions as anyone else is but to try to force them onto others the way they do is just not acceptable. It's not a particularly Christian way of behaving. Christ himself never forced anyone to believe or behave in any particular way. It should be each person's free choice. Yes I know there will be those who say that the unborn baby has no choice but that really isn't anyone else's business. I wouldn't have a termination myself but I wouldn't behave aggressivly towards someone else who did.

How intimidation can be thought of as Christian is beyond me. Like you said Pixie, it's people like this who give religion a bad name.

However, fighting back in like manner by throwing razor blades or anything else at them is wrong too.

If they are so convinced of the power of prayer then instead of holding their "vigils" outside the clinics and causing trouble why don't they just pray quietly at home or hold little prayer groups where they can get together in each others homes or something? It really doesn't sound so much like it has anything to do with prayer but more to do with sensationalism and grabbing a headline.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2005, 18:40   #11
I am Banned

Quote:
If they are so convinced of the power of prayer then instead of holding their "vigils" outside the clinics and causing trouble why don't they just pray
exactly

so that just goes to show there not doing it on religeous beliefs because instread of protesting they should be in church praying for it to stop
Old 26-02-2005, 19:27   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
A good few years ago an acquaintance of mine used to harp on about how she didn't agree with termination for whatever reason, and literally accused women of murder, but was still helped arrange one for her 15 year old daughter. Funny how some people's attitudes can suddenly change to suit their circumstances.
Things change a little when it's on your own doorstep.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2005, 19:39   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
the two things that have caused more death and war in the world are christianity and the muslim faith
if religeon was abolished there would be a lot less trouble in this world
Never mind the christian/muslim problems, what about denomination problems on our own doorstep, that has caused more problems for many years, and it still goes on.
As for abolishing religeon, what would you replace it with, I don't think there is an answer to that one, do you.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2005, 22:27   #14
Resident Waffler

The "denomination problems" are more political than religious albeit they act in the name of religion.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2005, 05:20   #15
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381
As for abolishing religeon, what would you replace it with, I don't think there is an answer to that one, do you.
the prime directive

you could always worship me

i would banish hynburn council to iraq

i would stop imigration

i would never stand by and watch my child slaughtered

those 3 reasons alone would make me a better god than the current one

seriously though if you believe thats your choice but why should everyone else have to listen to these nutters views just because they attatch the name "god" to them

they should save their god for church where people who actualy give a s**t will be there to listen to them

believe it or not i actualy do help others in many ways and have gone out of my way plenty of times to help others

the difference is i dont do it to score brownie points to get into heaven i do it because its the right thing to do at the time

Last edited by chav1; 27-02-2005 at 05:36.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..