Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-07-2005, 11:13   #1
Give, give, give member

Most unusual way to earn pennies.

What's the most unusual job you have ever done?

Suprisingly l haven't had that many jobs, as l was a loyal little thing and pledged my allegiance to my employers.

I did once spend two summers as a student, working at a lesbian farm near Mousehole in Cornwall. No they didn't grow them, it was also a guesthouse! I was the only male. Even the three whippets, seven cats and the goat were all female. Although I don't think they were all lesbian, because the goat kept trying to get 'friendly' with me, as well as eating most of my clothes and espadrilles.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-07-2005, 13:11   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Most unusual way to earn pennies.

lol @ the goat.

I do tend to earn some pennies by selling off some of my things on Ebay !
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2005, 13:41   #3
Resting in Peace

Cool Re: Most unusual way to earn pennies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
What's the most unusual job you have ever done?

Suprisingly l haven't had that many jobs, as l was a loyal little thing and pledged my allegiance to my employers.

I did once spend two summers as a student, working at a lesbian farm near Mousehole in Cornwall. No they didn't grow them, it was also a guesthouse! I was the only male. Even the three whippets, seven cats and the goat were all female. Although I don't think they were all lesbian, because the goat kept trying to get 'friendly' with me, as well as eating most of my clothes and espadrilles.

errrrrrrrr sorry to be stupid but what are "espadrilles" and the goat well maybe it was a sexually challanged goat lol
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2005, 13:45   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

lol at the goat, but it seems unusual to have a job these days lol
Old 27-07-2005, 13:55   #5
God Member

Not so much a job that was odd but a weird company to work for.

Once, when I was made redundant, I filled my time with temping. I ended up doing two weeks at a place in whalley where their business was all about artificially inseminating cows. Fortunately I didn't have to go anywhere near the cows or the straws of semen which the artificial inseminators came into the office every day to collect. All I had to do was fill in the records which went along the lines of Daisy (fresian) artificially inseminated with semen from Butch the Bull, or similar.

One thing that always puzzled me was how they collected the bull semen in the first place. Did they send the bulls into a shed with a copy of Playcow?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2005, 14:50   #6
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle Knight
One thing that always puzzled me was how they collected the bull semen in the first place. Did they send the bulls into a shed with a copy of Playcow?

Hehehehe, maybe it was the 'large udder bonanza' copy...

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2005, 15:15   #7
God Member

I also always pitied the poor fool who had to collect the bull deposits - because I'm guessing they couldn't get the bull to hold a paper cup.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2005, 15:28   #8
Give, give, give member

You obviously didn't watch the Channel 5 reality programme The Farm, were Rebecca Loos [Beckham's p.a.] had to perform the same job on a pig. She joked that it was easier than working with David, l'm not sure what she meant!

Espadrille- French rope soled shoe, with canvas uppers, also a tasty snack for the nanny goat, who was called Ninnie.

Last edited by garinda; 27-07-2005 at 15:29.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2005, 16:15   #9
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

It's seems according to the great lord of all things vetinary, James Herbert, that the way they work the bulls is to have a cow on heat (any cow will do a bit like humans really) introduce the bull to the cow, (hello bull this is a cow), then just as he's about to mount they shove a water filled ring and a condom onto the bulls penis, however one farmer they asked to fill the ring used boiling water, (he treated it like a hot water bottle!). The bull wasn't amused [no surprise there eh?]

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2005, 17:15   #10
Senior Member+

I once worked for radio Humberside as a budding DJ and general dogsbody, notice the word budding and general dogsbody just fit so well together, and of course the program controller was my boss and what he said was gospel, no if's or but's, so one day he called (shouted some unpleasent name) me in to his office and said Baz I have decided to give you your big break you are going to do the 11 till 3 slot, that means I only have 3hrs to get the music ready and talk to the traffic people and get some jingles sorted out....no you dick..head I mean 11 at night till 3 in the morning. Ok not the break I expected but still on the radio and I could do what I liked as the PC said no buggers going to be listening anyway.
I spent the day putting tracks together and practicing so everything would go smoothly and you guessed "it did" and the PC was so impressed he told me to take over the slot for the rest of the month, well after the euphoria of the first week it dawned on me that working 9 at night until 4 in the morning sucked but it was double the money compared with being a dogsbody.
I tried a phone in, no reponse, I tried a quiz, no response, I even tried requested love songs, no response, as a last resort I decided to ask the PC if we could give away prizes to maybe help and at least find out if we had any one listening at this time in the morning, he ok'ed it but said check how much stuff we've got in the shop and don't be too expensive.
So off we went anyone sending in a request 1 free Radio Humberside t shirt not a single call, so I sat down with the PC and he said they would give it one more week and if no response then we would go to a continuous tape (remember the reel to reels) as this experiment was on the behest of the owners and he had told them nobody would listen at that time in the morning.
I am now in a bit of a pickle having got used to the better money and of course found a new girlfriend who likes going out with a real DJ from a radio station what was I to do? the answer came in a flash of genius I would invent listeners untill I could convince some people to call or write in etc.
Now as a night time DJ you ran your own studio, no engineers or control staff you answered the phone in the studio and you ran it from the seat of your pants.
I managed to get a couple of friends to call in and I changed my voice a couple of times then out of the blue I managed to get a record of people being interviewed for the BBC in Yorkshire after a bit of cutting and glueing I had a couple of hundred different things being said on tape and the night time show took off, of course I had to do something about the T Shirts and Sweatshirts and a few pens so I did a deal with a market trader who would buy the T Shirts and I would have extra money.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2005, 19:28   #11
God Member

I worked for ANN - SUMMERS with tinks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good fun................CRAP money. But hey they were the days!

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2005, 19:49   #12
Beacon of light

Gayle...... in answer to your question.......they have a fake back end of a cow sprayed with bovine pheromones.......the things that makes the bull think the cow is receptive.....the bull mounts the fake cow.........has a high old time and the results are collected in some kind of receptacle stored in the fake cow. Or, that's what I was told......unless anyone out there knows any different. It sounds plausible and it was a farmers wife who told me.......I can't believe she would tell me that as a wind up.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2005, 19:54   #13
Beacon of light

I have never had any unusual jobs...... a few boring ones and two brilliant ones.
The brilliant ones were weaving.......yes, I really enjoyed that and worked on some very expensive samples.......and Nursing......I loved that one too......it was my dream come true.
As a little girl if anyone asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.......I always answered 'A Nurse'.
When I left school with no qualifications I thought my chances were very slim.....but a very nice man called Mr Winterburn gave me a chance to be a mature student......and it all bloomed from there.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2005, 20:12   #14

I once worked for Kirby cleaners - trying to convince people that they had "won" a free carpet clean.
Old 27-07-2005, 20:30   #15
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
Gayle...... in answer to your question.......they have a fake back end of a cow sprayed with bovine pheromones.......the things that makes the bull think the cow is receptive.....the bull mounts the fake cow.........has a high old time and the results are collected in some kind of receptacle stored in the fake cow. Or, that's what I was told......unless anyone out there knows any different. It sounds plausible and it was a farmers wife who told me.......I can't believe she would tell me that as a wind up.
I can confirm that to be true Margaret. I occasionally farm during summer, Horses and Sheep mainly. But I have been at a Bull Milking. It might be of some interest to some of you ladies that the process is similarly to what you might experience at the end of a nice evening. A little sniffing followed by a mad grunting rush and then……………..all done in the twinkle of an eye

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..