Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-05-2008, 08:55   #16
God Member

Re: MPs Allow 'Frankenstein' Embryos

I too am happy, any chance at a cure is a good thing. I think the way people describe what is being done is often plainly wrong and used often to justify their own views.

IMHO MP's are paid to vote how the majority of their constituents wish them to, not by their own ethical or religious beliefs. In my job there are things that I believe are done wrong. I can express my opinion but at teh end of teh day i am paid to do what those who pay me wish me to. Otherwise we don't have a democratic goverment we have a tiny percentage of teh population deciding what they think is best for teh majority.

Whilst this issue did get decent press coverage it would be nice if Greg could maybe pop in once a month with a breakdown of teh subjects that will be voted on so people are able to express opinions to him ahead of teh vote.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-05-2008, 09:24   #17
Senior Member+

i'm exuberant on this win

my daughter has thalassemia which means her bone marrow fails to produce any blood and thus by has to live by transfusions all her life.

an advancement in this field would not only mean her making all that blood herself but her saving the need for that blood for someone else.

on a side note it may also mean i get my life long ambition of having super-strength.

its nice to see the mp come on here so soon after the vote and let us know his thoughts.
Old 20-05-2008, 09:30   #18
Senior Member+

I agree with it if it will save peoples lives and finds cures for conditions that are currently uncurable,

i understand blazeys argument, being catholic myself, but things move on and many of the catholic teachings do not translate into modern day life.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 09:55   #19
Resting in Peace

I was againt this going ahead on religious grounds, and contacted Greg some time ago on the matter, I can quite understand people wanting this to go ahead so as to find a cure for diseases. I sure Greg thought long and hard when making his decision, and its comendable that he came on here and told us knowing there were people who would disagree
Old 20-05-2008, 11:27   #20

I think this type of research is only as 'safe' as the hands of the scientists it is in. If we are not110% convinced of the scientists and their motivation then it should not go ahead as the process will not be reversable
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 11:32   #21
Senior Member+

where do i put my order in for a spider pig?

'spider pig spider pig
does whatever a spider pig does
can he swing from a web
no he cant he's a pig
look out
he is a spider pig'

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
Old 20-05-2008, 16:00   #22

Still think its weird!
Old 20-05-2008, 17:03   #23

A slippery slope. Just because it's possible to do something doesn't mean that you should. Science is way ahead of the ethics.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 17:17   #24
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb View Post
A slippery slope. Just because it's possible to do something doesn't mean that you should. Science is way ahead of the ethics.
The same thing could be said after we'd invented the gun.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 17:35   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
The same thing could be said after we'd invented the gun.

A little more critical thinking, if you please.
Old 20-05-2008, 17:54   #26
Senior Member+

i agree that we shouldnt do things just because we can but for me that means things that will harm us, bombs, guns etc not things that will help us.

Old 22-05-2008, 02:04   #27
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Or the ethics are way behind the science
Old 22-05-2008, 10:40   #28
Give, give, give member

Quote:
A little more critical thinking, if you please.

Otherwise what will happen?

You going to shoot the messenger?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 18:58   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Or the ethics are way behind the science
Nope, don't think so.
Old 23-05-2008, 18:59   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Otherwise what will happen?

You going to shoot the messenger?

Oh, please....get over yourself.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..