Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-05-2008, 20:47   #31
Give, give, give member

Re: MPs Allow 'Frankenstein' Embryos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb View Post
A little more critical thinking, if you please.

No need for critical thinking, purely an oberservation.

Your comment that science is way ahead of ethics, which in this case relates to medical ethics, could also be levied at the great number of scientists in the world developing ever more dangerous armaments, with little thought to what devastation they could create, when sold to the highest bidder.

Must be nice in your lttle bunker.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-05-2008, 21:08   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
No need for critical thinking, purely an oberservation.

Your comment that science is way ahead of ethics, which in this case relates to medical ethics, could also be levied at the great number of scientists in the world developing ever more dangerous armaments, with little thought to what devastation they could create, when sold to the highest bidder.

Must be nice in your lttle bunker.
Apples and oranges.

No bunker mentality here. It would be a wonderful world if we had no need to constantly keep several steps ahead of the dark forces. You delude yourself if you think that those who wish us ill will stop developing such weaponry if we decide to pack it in. Quite the reverse.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 21:16   #33
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Apples and oranges.

No bunker mentality here. It would be a wonderful world if we had no need to constantly keep several steps ahead of the dark forces. You delude yourself if you think that those who wish us ill will stop developing such weaponry if we decide to pack it in. Quite the reverse.
Does anyone understand a word of this .. LOL Probably I am too thick. !

Had to laugh today, report that a car dealer in America was offering a free hand gun with every purchase.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 21:25   #34
God Member

Quote:
Sometimes Garinda I wonder which planet you are on and where you are coming from.
Britain and our allies do invent and create weapons for all sorts of reasons.
First and foremost to protect people like you who can claim that the only weapon you have held in your hand is the one you sleep with.
We have forces all over the world defending our interests and must be properly armed.
Russia,China and other countries in the world, some friendly some not,spend fortunes on arms and the development of arms, are you suggesting that we or our allies, sit at the back of the class, and ignore this?
I thought the invasion of Iraq was justified at the time as a lot of people did, I was wrong.......I believed as most of the population did, that we were being threatened.......It turned out to be rubbish.
Bunker you have not had experience of, and I hope that you never experience that indignity.
Stick to chasing forms and let the world go by.....It seems to me that you dont understand what's going on anyway.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 21:45   #35
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Apples and oranges.

I just find it strange that from your comments you seem to be against the continuance of this medical research in the U.K.

Is that not correct?

Talk of ethics just seems a little odd, especially from one who seems to have no problem with any fool with enough money, including enemies of democracy, being able to bear arms.

I'm glad that we as a country have decided to carry on with this medical research, and I pray that in the future none of your future ancestors will have the need for any of the break through treatments, which may come about because of this.

Old 23-05-2008, 22:03   #36
God Member

Quote:
I just find it strange that from your comments you seem to be against the continuance of this medical research in the U.K.

Is that not correct?

Talk of ethics just seems a little odd, especially from one who seems to have no problem with any fool with enough money, including enemies of democracy, being able to bear arms.

I'm glad that we as a country have decided to carry on with this medical research, and I pray that in the future none of your future ancestors will have the need for any of the break through treatments, which may come about because of this.
Now I am sure he's lost the plot.
He's got me switched off because he thinks he is right and everyone else is an idiot (Especially me)
There has not been any critisism against research...and we must congratulate other countries that have contributed to that research.
I have contributed to a thread...without research...I would be dead.
Let's cut the smart arsed comments and get real.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2008, 05:54   #37
God Member

"Future ancestors"???? Bit of a contradiction in terms there, but I will let it pass.

I do echo the lovely Garinda's thinking on this issue and would ask Greg Pope whether, in the light of his vote against the bill, he would be likley to decline medical treatment developed as a result of stem cell research?

To me, this whole debate sounds similar to the condemnation of the National Lottery we heard from religious groups, till the church roof was falling in: they were only too grateful for lottery cash then. Ethical or moral scruples are all very well,but they become a bit too expensive to maintain once one's back is against the wall, so to speak, it is amazingly instructive to see how easily they crumble then.
Old 25-05-2008, 11:16   #38
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
"Future ancestors"???? Bit of a contradiction in terms there, but I will let it pass.
Lol, thought I'd got away with that one.

I was going to put progeny, but my programme was just about to start....so didn't have the time to check it's spelling.

That's my excuse, and I'm sticking with it.

Cheers A-b.

Old 25-05-2008, 11:44   #39
God Member

Quote:
Lol, thought I'd got away with that one.

I was going to put progeny, but my programme was just about to start....so didn't have the time to check it's spelling.

That's my excuse, and I'm sticking with it.

Cheers A-b.
Dinner with Thatcher, and a high flying fashion career. Now they've given you your own programme? Rivaling Gok Wan are we?
Old 25-05-2008, 16:54   #40

Quote:

Is that not correct?

Depends on how it is being conducted. After all, the Nazis were big on research but I hardly think we'd endorse their methods.

There have been some very promising results using adult stem cells as well as those from umbilical cord blood. None reported from the use of fetal stem cells. It is not necessary to kill babies or play God in other areas of research. If I had a debilitating or terminal illness, I would not think it my right to demand something be done that I consider unethical just to find a possible cure. I am not wired that way.

How, pray tell, do you propose to disarm the enemies of democracy? You don't seem too keen on the use of force.

I have never advocated that "any fool with enough money," should be able to acquire a firearm.
Old 25-05-2008, 19:52   #41
Give, give, give member

Quote:
None reported from the use of fetal stem cells.

...and there'll be none to report from your adopted country, as research of this kind is banned there.

We'll let you know if we come up with a cure for any of the diseases which blight so many lives.

Old 25-05-2008, 20:22   #42
Resting in Peace

Quote:

It is not necessary to kill babies or play God in other areas of research.

Bit OTT that one Bullseyebarb. Embryos of very small cell division, cannot see 'babies' at this stage... No result from 'fetal' research yet, 'cause is only just being allowed to go ahead.

And as for God !! .. well, he 'aint much help in the curing of disease is he ?? ...
Old 01-06-2008, 18:51   #43

Quote:
...and there'll be none to report from your adopted country, as research of this kind is banned there.

Wrong. Only research using federal funding, (i.e. taxpayers' money), is banned. Labs with resources from the private sector, (which are considerable), can pursue this if they wish.
Old 01-06-2008, 19:02   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Bit OTT that one Bullseyebarb. Embryos of very small cell division, cannot see 'babies' at this stage... No result from 'fetal' research yet, 'cause is only just being allowed to go ahead.

And as for God !! .. well, he 'aint much help in the curing of disease is he ?? ...
Play it any way you want, but these are still babies to me. The fact that those experimented with are of "very small cell division", as you put it, is the very reason why they have not proven to be effective in this sort of research.

As to your second point.......God's gift to us is the ability to work through these knotty problems and find cures and all sorts of wonders which help mankind.
Old 01-06-2008, 19:36   #45
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Play it any way you want, but these are still babies to me. The fact that those experimented with are of "very small cell division", as you put it, is the very reason why they have not proven to be effective in this sort of research.

As to your second point.......God's gift to us is the ability to work through these knotty problems and find cures and all sorts of wonders which help mankind.

Well, no not proven much as yet ... that is because cell research is in its infancy .. but signs are that it could be of extreme use to curing of diseases.. held up my ethical do-gooders.

As to God's gift !! blah, blah, blah .. sorry you speaking to an Atheist here Bullseye .. so religious bull does not sit well with me. If you believe we have been given the gift to work through these problems, then seems to me that this is what we are applying..the gift of the wonderment of science .. only way forward.

Last edited by katex; 01-06-2008 at 19:39.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..