Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-05-2008, 19:33   #1
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

MPs Allow 'Frankenstein' Embryos

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...316410,00.html

what ya reckon?
Old 19-05-2008, 19:37   #2
God Member

Re: MPs Allow 'Frankenstein' Embryos

Brilliant. Will help research into series diseases, I'm sure garinda backs this.

Some of the arguments against it were crazy. Some were saying it would be used to develop a new slave underclass to work for us. They clearly didn't understand what the bill talked about.

I'm not sure how our MP voted, normally takes a few days to update on the site.
Old 19-05-2008, 19:37   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
Reaserch has got to be done...I have got heart disease and without research I would be dead now.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 19:38   #4
Senior Member+

This is a difficult one, and no doubt I will be critisized for my response but if it helps in the fighting of diseases, finding cures etc and will benefit the living and future of people then I agree with it
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 19:38   #5

Not sure, its a bit weird!
Old 19-05-2008, 20:20   #6

Just to let you know that I voted (unsuccessfully) against allowing human-animal hybrid embryos to be created for research purposes. I don't subscribe to some of the hysteria surrounding this issue and I thought the 'Frankenstein' comments of one Scottish bishop were pretty unhelpful. I tried to balance out the chances of such research coming up with a cure for some terrible diseases against my own ethical reservations about creating human-animal hybrid embryos. I also promised to listen to the views of my constituents about this - including some regular Accywebbers - before arriving at a decision.

I realise that some people will be disappointed about the way I voted but I would like you to know that I gave it a great deal of thought and did what I thought was best - whatever I did would upset some.

You may also like to know that this is the first of several ethical issues that the Commons will vote on over the next day or so. We are next due to vote on what have been called 'saviour siblings' followed by abortion votes tomorrow. If anyone has views on these issues that they want to raise with me please do so either on here or email me at [email protected]
Greg Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 20:48   #7
God Member

That's not how I would have voted but thank-you for letting us know Greg.

I have e-mailed you concerning abortion. Saviour siblings are by no means as clear cut, and I don't really feel like writing an essay at the moment.
Old 19-05-2008, 21:19   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

to each his own, i fail to see anything to convince me AGAINST this research.
Old 19-05-2008, 22:36   #9
God Member

Quite fascinating area of science even if it is not backed by my religious beliefs.

What it will mean in the future is very interesting, but also hugely risky. Will again, like the saviour sibling issue, need to be regulated very strictly.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 22:38   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Pope View Post
Just to let you know that I voted (unsuccessfully) against allowing human-animal hybrid embryos to be created for research purposes. I don't subscribe to some of the hysteria surrounding this issue and I thought the 'Frankenstein' comments of one Scottish bishop were pretty unhelpful. I tried to balance out the chances of such research coming up with a cure for some terrible diseases against my own ethical reservations about creating human-animal hybrid embryos. I also promised to listen to the views of my constituents about this - including some regular Accywebbers - before arriving at a decision.

I realise that some people will be disappointed about the way I voted but I would like you to know that I gave it a great deal of thought and did what I thought was best - whatever I did would upset some.

You may also like to know that this is the first of several ethical issues that the Commons will vote on over the next day or so. We are next due to vote on what have been called 'saviour siblings' followed by abortion votes tomorrow. If anyone has views on these issues that they want to raise with me please do so either on here or email me at [email protected]
I emailed you about an issue the other day I think it's nice that you reply to people.
Old 19-05-2008, 22:40   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
to each his own, i fail to see anything to convince me AGAINST this research.
Me too Cashy, feel it is criminal not to let this research go ahead. We are only using the shell of animal embryos after all, and could take 20 years before there are any positive results.

Think people are still voting with their macabre thoughts on this and not with their heads. Unfortunately, medical research has to be carried out first with the help of our animal kingdom.. can't use plant seeds can we, although some folks will argue they can scream too !!

Bet if they mentioned could help cure cancer, would be a very different matter.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 23:41   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Bet if they mentioned could help cure cancer, would be a very different matter.
I don't think this is necessarily true to all people. For example, the Catholic Church is strongly opposing it, and an argument like 'it could help cure cancer' isn't going to make an ounce of difference. Catholics in general still speak strongly against contraceptive methods in Africa to stop the spread of AID's, so what makes people think we'll do something as barbaric as combining the genes of different species in order to cure something that is already far more curable than AID's?

Quite a conservative rant there, not entirely MY view as I was brought up liberally as a catholic, but definitely an existing view.
Old 20-05-2008, 00:17   #13
God Member

thanks to this it may one day actualy be possible for man to actualy be hung like a horse
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 08:30   #14
Give, give, give member

Personally I'm happy that parliament has voted for this bill, and that Britain retains its status as a world leader in stem cell research. Human-animal embryo research is banned in some countries including Australia, France, Germany and Italy.

It was a free vote, and I happily got to tell Greg Pope my views on this issue. He, like all the others, voted with his conscience.

Continuing research could mean that in the future a whole range of diseases could even be cured.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 08:37   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

gotta say i feel fer once the majority of parliment has voted fer the majority of people, makes a refreshing change.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..