Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree101Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2013, 03:56   #136

Re: MPs Pay Rise

I don't believe anyone on this forum is qualified to criticise Alan Sugar. He made the leap into his own business accepting the risks (only 1 in 20 new businesses survives the first year) and put his neck and finances on the line to do so. Being a CEO is not like any normal job. There are reasons why these people are well paid and it's usually tied to performance. In his own company, as was the case here, he created innovative products and literally thousands of jobs.

Congrats and thanks Alan would be more appropriate. I don't see him as greedy so much as appropriately rewarded for his contribution to industry and society as a whole.
GEaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-07-2013, 05:22   #137
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
You are right DinG I don't see them whining or moaning but get real they do indeed bemoan their lot.
They've been moaning since Kiplings time and before.

Brit squaddie rewrites Kipling poem as attack on soldier?s lot today | The Sun |News|Campaigns|Our Boys
That's right, they'll have a gripe but in the end they knuckle down & get the job done! Like I said integrity, something politicoes have lost sight of. As to your comment "get real" D, I did, for a good few years which included NI 84-85 & Iraq 91, the original Gulf War, so less flippancy if you please.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:50   #138
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
You are right DinG I don't see them whining or moaning but get real they do indeed bemoan their lot.
They've been moaning since Kiplings time and before.

Brit squaddie rewrites Kipling poem as attack on soldier?s lot today | The Sun |News|Campaigns|Our Boys
Well if a soldier does moan, could easy be about not having proper protective equipment,needed to protect life n limb, I reckon fair minded people would say, That moan is far more justified than some privately educated middle class twerp,moaning about the fact there expenses fiddle has been exposed. and yer talking about cheap shots D ?
Old 05-07-2013, 06:19   #139

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin the chipmunk View Post
It's very tempting to indulge in populist "They're all liars and thieves" mantras. Those who spout this often state the same regardless of the sitting government and it's MP's. Up there with "They're all the same", which blatantly ignores how various governments have treated the North West.

Another chestnut is "People around here/Ordinary people only earn...... or What about (insert job here) who only earn......

Irrelevant cliches which are trotted out at any moment of government disapproval.

A CEO at a company such as BT, Virgin, Sky etc earns much much more than an MP. That's one CEO at a company which, in the grand scheme of things, is pretty inconsequential.

Now....imagine government is a business. This business is responsible for the well being of 60 million plus people including:

Education
Taking us to war.
Keeping the nation safe.
Healthcare
Transport

Shouldn't the people RUNNING OUR COUNTRY be entitled to at least the same as those who run ONE BUSINESS?

Experts in the above fields....the kind of brains we want running the country, have no incentive to on the relative pittance our representatives get in relation to their international counterparts. Why become an MP when you can make much more for much less work in your particular field or business?

Also as has previously been mentioned....the leader of Lancs County Council gets more than an MP. As does our useless new Crime Commissioner.
Love it when someone uses cliches and chestnuts as an argument and then justifies their own argument with opposing cliches and chestnuts.

You tell me..what evidence do you have to show that Graham Jones (just using him as an example here) has the brains to run a business dealing with Education, War, Defence, Health and Transport, thus justifying a pay hike. Bear in mind he's only there because he won a popularity contest.

I'd also like you to justify why Gordon Brown, who has attended only 2 or 3 sessions since losing the last election should have a 10k pay rise.

Crossed swords with a couple of councillors on here, I may not agree with their politics but I respect what they are trying to achieve becuase they are, in the main, in it for altruistic reasons and I don't begrudge them a penny...I most definitely cannot say the same for career politicians.

Oh and who came up with the idea for 'our useless new Crime Comissioner'....wouldn't happen to be politicians looking to add more positions on the political gravy train would it?

I have an idea, lets means test politicians....we'll start wages at £200k per year and lower it according to other income sources, savings, property etc..etc...that would sort the genuine from the scroungers, wouldn't it?
Old 05-07-2013, 06:47   #140
Beacon of light

Politicians never ever come out of a political career broke.
When someone goes into a job or career for the money - they are doing it for the wrong reason.
Politicians often have more than one job...When I was working (as a Nurse - Senior Sister) I hadn't the energy or the time to do any other job.
I knew what I was taking on when I went into my career, the unsocial hours, time away from my family at Christmas, the inability to go to some social event(wedding, celebrations) because of duty requirements.
I certainly didn't do it for the money. I did it because I enjoyed looking after people - making a difference.
And while I would not have done it for no pay - I took the low pay(the pay was much lower back then) because I considered the enjoyment of my daily work to be a bonus that some people never have.
Boeing Guy and maxthecollie like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:47   #141
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
I have an idea, lets means test politicians....we'll start wages at £200k per year and lower it according to other income sources, savings, property etc..etc...that would sort the genuine from the scroungers, wouldn't it?
It wouldn't work, their accountants would see to that.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:58   #142
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Well if a soldier does moan, could easy be about not having proper protective equipment,needed to protect life n limb, I reckon fair minded people would say, That moan is far more justified than some privately educated middle class twerp,moaning about the fact there expenses fiddle has been exposed. and yer talking about cheap shots D ?
Whoooa Mr C
I didn’t bring the noble squaddie onto this thread, I replied to DinG because it's not comparing apples with apples in my book any more than citing Nurses or Firemen too.
I think our elected Member deserve a payrise some agree, some don’t, that’s all in the mix.

A payrise for the Forces now that’s another matter and it probably needs taking off thread so that the healthy/pithy debate on the original subject matter doesn’t get diluted.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:11   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEaston View Post
I don't believe anyone on this forum is qualified to criticise Alan Sugar.
You are possibly correct, but belief isn't proof, so if a member of this site (including you), wishes to put forward their opinion about Mr. Sugar so long as it isn't slanderous then they can do so.
After all you have put forward opinions about this site and it's members without any proof that you are qualified to do so.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:00   #144
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Whoooa Mr C
I didn’t bring the noble squaddie onto this thread, I replied to DinG because it's not comparing apples with apples in my book any more than citing Nurses or Firemen too.
I think our elected Member deserve a payrise some agree, some don’t, that’s all in the mix.

A payrise for the Forces now that’s another matter and it probably needs taking off thread so that the healthy/pithy debate on the original subject matter doesn’t get diluted.
Whoooa yerself "D" yeh said they did moan n had been moaning since Kiplings time! I simply compared the moans by me own standards. Responding to DinG or not, yeh provided a link to enhance yer point.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:46   #145

MPs Pay Rise

That's my opinion Less, I expressed it.
GEaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:49   #146

Quote:
That's my opinion Less, I expressed it.
Indeed you did and I feel qualified enough to reply, no matter what conclusions you may have jumped too.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:59   #147
God Member

i poste dteh alan sugar video co it was funny

hes liek a rich version of less

grumpy and no time for stoopid questions

the look alike as well

i think i just slandered one of em but not sure which ....

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:04   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
i poste dteh alan sugar video co it was funny

hes liek a rich version of less

grumpy and no time for stoopid questions

the look alike as well

i think i just slandered one of em but not sure which ....
do you mean rich as in money rich or rich is in how the heck has that guy got the nerve type rich?

As for slandering someone, it was me, but you're safe, I can't afford to take you to court. (or can I?).
Old 05-07-2013, 11:06   #149
JFT96

Quote:
I don't believe anyone on this forum is qualified to criticise Alan Sugar. He made the leap into his own business accepting the risks (only 1 in 20 new businesses survives the first year) and put his neck and finances on the line to do so. Being a CEO is not like any normal job. There are reasons why these people are well paid and it's usually tied to performance. In his own company, as was the case here, he created innovative products and literally thousands of jobs.

Congrats and thanks Alan would be more appropriate. I don't see him as greedy so much as appropriately rewarded for his contribution to industry and society as a whole.
Well I happen to like Lord Sugar, he certainly knows his market, selling low end stereo's, cheap VCR's even cheaper computers and more recently my damned sky HD box, which works when it wants.
I would not say his products are innovative, I have spent my life involved in innovation and my family have done rather well in their prospective markets manufacturing innovative products.
But this is not about him, he has chosen to give something back and good to him, he does a lot for Great Ormond Street Hospital.

Our elected representative's are full of themselves, it is a shame they are only prepared to feather their own beds

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:13   #150
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

I like the fact Suger don't take crap off no-one.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..