Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-04-2008, 22:40   #61
Give, give, give member

Re: mr britcliffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post

Can you please let me have the figures for the expensive rent/rates you talk of?
In a word no.

Do it yourself.

A quick search on any local commercial estate agent's site will prove my point.

Lancsdave posted the other week of the extortionate rent wanted for one empty retail unit in the Arndale, if you care to search through his posts.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-04-2008, 22:44   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
It may not feel like it but even here in Hyndburn we've never had such a large disposable income.

Thirty five years ago the majority of people in Hyndburn didn't own a car. Now we have two car households, and many people, even those on benefits, have homes filled with the latest flat screened televisions, and all manor of electrical equipment.

Sadly much of this income is being spent in Hyndburn.
I know what you mean, however I think credit has become easier, or more socially acceptable and its easier to buy these things, just harder to pay for them. I also think there is more peer pressure or 'keeping up with the Joneses' these days, and so people get upto their neck in debt, and so normal everyday buying suffers.

I am no huge political fan or take great interest in facts and figures, but would be interesting to know the %age difference between unemployed 10 years ago compared to now
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 22:52   #63
God Member

Quote:
In a word no.

Do it yourself.

A quick search on any local commercial estate agent's site will prove my point.

Lancsdave posted the other week of the extortionate rent wanted for one empty retail unit in the Arndale, if you care to search through his posts.
Lets take the arndale example: £25,440 for the year.

Retailers, even in Accrington, have had turnover more than £10,000 in a day. Is the rent really that expensive when you look at it like that?
Old 25-04-2008, 22:52   #64
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
There may be some of us who would spend our money in an Accrington branch of Next or River Island but it seems we are in the minority.

Seemingly, the council did ask Next if they were interested in our town Lilly, but they turned us down (for the time being), probably holding out to see if anything moves on the proposed retail park at Whitebirk.... only my assumptions here though.

Don't think us Next/River Island/Oasis/Warehouse/Jane Norman buyers are in the minority at all. Now acquiring a large immigrant population, and they love these high street stores. Once they are there .. people will buy. Unfortunately, the Council members are not sales people, and do not know how to put forward a decent proposal.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 22:59   #65
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
If polled I wonder how many of the people actually living in Hyndburn would rate the quality of services provided by the council as being 'excellent'?
The problem is knowing which Council is responsible for the service in question. My bins are always emptied which is HBC. The roads are in a very poor state which is LCC. The park is in a mess which is HBC, the trouble with that one is it has been in a mess for so long which Council was in power when it went down hill? Labour or Tory, I am not sure. We just blame HBC for things which means the Tories at the moment.
Old 25-04-2008, 23:01   #66
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
the Council members are not sales people, and do not know how to put forward a decent proposal.
That's a very important point.

We give massive budgets to people with no proven record in the commercial world, when really a lot of them would struggle to use an Etch A Sketch, never mind plan a long term retail stategy for the area.

Old 25-04-2008, 23:03   #67
God Member

Quote:
That's a very important point.

We give massive budgets to people with no proven record in the commercial world, when really a lot of them would struggle to use an Etch A Sketch, never mind plan a long term retail stategy for the area.
OK....I accept that......put your name forward for council?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 23:04   #68
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
The problem is knowing which Council is responsible for the service in question. My bins are always emptied which is HBC. The roads are in a very poor state which is LCC. The park is in a mess which is HBC, the trouble with that one is it has been in a mess for so long which Council was in power when it went down hill? Labour or Tory, I am not sure. We just blame HBC for things which means the Tories at the moment.
I'm well aware that although our council is presently Conservative run, it is made up of councillors of all parties. Many of whom are more intent on squabbling with each other rather than working together for the good of the borough.

Old 25-04-2008, 23:05   #69
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
I have said that many times, well not the etch a sketch bit.

I will tell you a story when I see you next about a Councillor - remind me
Old 25-04-2008, 23:06   #70
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I have said that many times, well not the etch a sketch bit.

I will tell you a story when I see you next about a Councillor - remind me
Oh goodie.

It's not like you to spill the political beans...well not many.

Old 25-04-2008, 23:08   #71
God Member

Me too Rindi, remind me
Old 25-04-2008, 23:10   #72
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
OK....I accept that......put your name forward for council?
I forgot....I'm on his No No list

Rindy for council ?????

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 23:12   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Seemingly, the council did ask Next if they were interested in our town Lilly, but they turned us down (for the time being), probably holding out to see if anything moves on the proposed retail park at Whitebirk.... only my assumptions here though.

Don't think us Next/River Island/Oasis/Warehouse/Jane Norman buyers are in the minority at all. Now acquiring a large immigrant population, and they love these high street stores. Once they are there .. people will buy. Unfortunately, the Council members are not sales people, and do not know how to put forward a decent proposal.
Exactly and the point can be carried on to so many other things. Public sector should be run as a business, with sales, marketing and all that mullarkey. The sooner local government start doing that, and looking to make money the better
Old 25-04-2008, 23:13   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
I forgot....I'm on his No No list

Rindy for council ?????
Have to admit, I would actually probably vote for Rindy, even if I disagree with his opinion, I can at least understand where its coming from.

Besides, he doesnt waffle which i feel is a real pre-requisite for my all important vote lol
Old 25-04-2008, 23:14   #75
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
Me too Rindi, remind me
Since I'll be seeing you at the theatre tomorrow you can spill your dirt before Neil tells me his gossip re: a councillor.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..