Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-04-2008, 23:16   #76
Give, give, give member

Re: mr britcliffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyme View Post
Have to admit, I would actually probably vote for Rindy, even if I disagree with his opinion, I can at least understand where its coming from.

Besides, he doesnt waffle which i feel is a real pre-requisite for my all important vote lol
I feel like I've waffled for days, it's about time I started being silly again.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-04-2008, 23:24   #77

You seem to follow the principle of 'why use 10 words when 1 will do'. That'll do for me.
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2008, 09:13   #78
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I feel like I've waffled for days, it's about time I started being silly again.
What do you mean feel Rindi you have and you know it, and I agree start being silly then that will be two of use, I'm lonely on my own
Old 26-04-2008, 09:16   #79
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
What do you mean feel Rindi you have and you know it, and I agree start being silly then that will be two of use, I'm lonely on my own
Lol, ok I'll start being silly.

I love Cameron's new brand of caring, sharing Conservatism, or Tory-Lite as the new brand is apparently called.

Old 26-04-2008, 09:18   #80
Give, give, give member

Quote:
By the way, I couldn't have waffled without the help of my two non-stick waffle makers.

Old 26-04-2008, 09:30   #81
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Lol, ok I'll start being silly.

I love Cameron's new brand of caring, sharing Conservatism, or Tory-Lite as the new brand is apparently called.
Thats more like the Rindi we know a like, keep it up old chap
Old 26-04-2008, 12:17   #82
God Member

Quote:
Since I'll be seeing you at the theatre tomorrow you can spill your dirt before Neil tells me his gossip re: a councillor.
Lmao at you, Cyfr and Neil!

You're like Ena, Martha and Minnie.
Old 26-04-2008, 14:04   #83
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Lmao at you, Cyfr and Neil!

You're like Ena, Martha and Minnie.
Lilly you'll have the trio spinnin in their graves
Old 26-04-2008, 16:36   #84
God Member

Quote:
Since I'll be seeing you at the theatre tomorrow you can spill your dirt before Neil tells me his gossip re: a councillor.
The amusing thing is it was that important that I don't remember what it was now. I shall have a think!
Old 26-04-2008, 18:04   #85
Senior Member+

Quote:
Considering that the council had a £1.8 million budget deficit when the Tories took control and they have just been awarded an exclant mark by the Audit Commision things are certainly better than when Labour were truffed out on their ear
The Tories overspent by 450k in THEIR first quarter (ie projected £1.8m loss) and blamed Labour for the year before, despite the books balancing in Labour's year. Just thought I'd put the record straight.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2008, 18:16   #86
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSz View Post
And here's another important point that is often overlooked - from what I understand, HBC had a debt of about £42m 8 years ago. As far as I know, that debt has now been reduced to about £14 million since.
It was £42m - it peaked at £46m. £22m for Council Housing and £26m for the Council Tax Payer. When The Council Houses were transferred the Council had the £22m wiped out PLUS another £10m which reduced the Councils' debt to £16m currently.

It has not increased because Gordon Brown has for 3 years financed the Council's Capital Programme. We normally borrow £2m each year but he has given us £2.5m per year. £7.5m. So we don't have to borrow.

An important question is where are all the interest savings on the £10m debt write off being spent? The savings figure is around £900,000 per annum by the way. Also to consider that Council House sales receipts have risen sharply with house prices. This all comes to the Council so where has this money gone too. And we spent 450k on Concessionary Fares prior to any national scheme. Now we have the Government scheme, the Council's scheme has been scraped. So where's that 450K a year gone?

Last edited by g jones; 26-04-2008 at 18:18.
Old 26-04-2008, 18:20   #87
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
Sorry am I understanding this correctly? The reason our town has gone to pot is because the local council set tax too high on shops, therefore only the pound and charity shops have the economic might to stay open?
No, it's many factors combined. However building utopian white elephants like the Walker Development on an old thriving market was a disaster.
Old 26-04-2008, 18:24   #88
Senior Member+

Quote:
I also think that you have to go back to the days of George Slynn to see when the rot set in when they were selling anything they could get their hands on, the buses, Arndale centre, the bus depot, the land on Eastgate, and other asset all ploughed into the Globe Centre. It was also in that period that the marked started to go kaput, I once remember writting to the Obs stating that the market had become like a derelict wild west town, the only thing missing were the tumble weeds blowing about and that was in the mid nineties
George Slynn was neither my cup of tea either. But he at least put together a £4million Town Centre plan but the lottery funding £2m fell through and he lost control (1999) to the Tories.

Only two leaders have contributed anything significant to this Borough in the last 20 years. George did the Globe Centre bringing 100's of jobs to the Borough. Ian Ormerod on a lesser scale sacked the senior management at the Council leading to a mini revival.
Old 26-04-2008, 18:30   #89
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
£22m for Council Housing
Graham, how the hell could the Council Housing be £22 million in debt? Surely the house rent pays for everything for the houses? If not why are the rents too low?

Sorry about all the questions but I can't understand how that could happen.
Old 26-04-2008, 18:37   #90
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Graham, how the hell could the Council Housing be £22 million in debt? Surely the house rent pays for everything for the houses? If not why are the rents too low?

Sorry about all the questions but I can't understand how that could happen.
The HRA loans were around £22m, might have been £23m when the were repaid. No idea how it was that. Presume previous Housing schemes???? Might have been from some of the 70's builds as the loans were generally taken over 40-60 years? Need to check back for a proper answer.

Your referring to the HRA account (like a current account as opposed to the loans account). That has a surplus on close of around £450k. That has now gone into the Council's coffer's this year and a reason for the healthy accounts though it was tenants money. Part of the transfer agreement.

Last edited by g jones; 26-04-2008 at 18:40.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..