Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-04-2008, 21:55   #106
Resting in Peace

Re: mr britcliffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post

Even at £2,000 from an industry in decline, that's £730,000 a year on average without taking Christmas takings into account. Rent at £25,000 isn't that much is it? Was music zone rent even as much as that?
Lindsay only talking about turn over here Cyfr .. lot different to profit.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-04-2008, 21:56   #107
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
yer correct it was 25k fer that (box) that used to be Cryers,sure rent is based on area of the premises, also sure cyfr is aware of that also, reckon hes trying damned hard to make a name fer himself, well on the way also.
Not trying to make a name for myself, especially in this thread because I don't have the facts to hand. I ain't going to argue it really passionately either way, I'm just offering some alternative thinking, it may be that rent is high and I'd accept that once I've seen some proper evidence of it.

I thought music zone made a profit too by the way? (to lindsey)
Old 27-04-2008, 21:57   #108
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Lindsay only talking about turn over here Cyfr .. lot different to profit.
Yeah I know that's why I'm not arguing it passionately. I don't have the profit figures, or what I'd really want if I was to strongly argue either way, a breakdown of cost.
Old 27-04-2008, 21:58   #109
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Can I ask why your father decided to leave his large town centre retail premises, and just concentrate on his market stall?

Any connection to costs?
The shops were owned and he left due to the semi-retirement of my uncle and grandad (since now they only work market days as opposed to 6 days a week).
Old 27-04-2008, 22:01   #110
God Member

Quote:
Very comparable! Lots of money exchange hands with NHS prescriptions!

Even at £2,000 from an industry in decline, that's £730,000 a year on average without taking Christmas takings into account. Rent at £25,000 isn't that much is it? Was music zone rent even as much as that?
Good God Lad you have a lot to learn.
25 grand is a hell of a lot of money and Rates on top of that takes a lot of earning...add to that employees wages,insurance,tax and the other expenses which are incured in running a business make you wonder why you dont work for someone else and not risk your own money.

10 Grand a day is fantasy....maybe to Asda...Yes.
get some of your fellow students to go round traders and ask the right questions of the traders and you will learn how hard it is to run a business.
When you get into the real world people will tell you....forget all that was taught at college....forget the advice from people who have never lost money running a business and don't be swayed by political bullsh1t.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 22:03   #111
Give, give, give member

Quote:
'Many a true word spoken in jest' .. always plenty of repeat customers in this game. Hey, Garinda ... am bored .. perhaps we could go 50/50 .. one in Ossy, one in Clayton. Am I joking ? not quite sure..
Nevermind us setting up in business going into competition with Accy's legal brothel, how do you fancy opening up an illegal cigarette smoking den?

A place where like minded adults could meet up and indulge in their vice with others.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 22:05   #112
Give, give, give member

Quote:
The shops were owned and he left due to the semi-retirement of my uncle and grandad (since now they only work market days as opposed to 6 days a week).
Thanks for answering.

Though I presume the overheads are a hell of a lot smaller for a market stall, rather than a rented double fronted shop in the town centre.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 22:09   #113
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Nevermind us setting up in business going into competition with Accy's legal brothel, how do you fancy opening up an illegal cigarette smoking den?

A place where like minded adults could meet up and indulge in their vice with others.
Eeew you are naughty .. but I like it...
Perhaps we could offer those cocktail cigarettes with flourescent wrappers .. they were cool ....
Old 27-04-2008, 22:15   #114
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Good God Lad you have a lot to learn.
25 grand is a hell of a lot of money and Rates on top of that takes a lot of earning...add to that employees wages,insurance,tax and the other expenses which are incured in running a business make you wonder why you dont work for someone else and not risk your own money.

10 Grand a day is fantasy....maybe to Asda...Yes.
get some of your fellow students to go round traders and ask the right questions of the traders and you will learn how hard it is to run a business.
When you get into the real world people will tell you....forget all that was taught at college....forget the advice from people who have never lost money running a business and don't be swayed by political bullsh1t.
I'm aware it's hard to run a business, in fact the majority of businesses fail in the first year. The 10 grand was at Christmas. I never claimed that it was every day.
Old 27-04-2008, 22:17   #115
God Member

Quote:
Thanks for answering.

Though I presume the overheads are a hell of a lot smaller for a market stall, rather than a rented double fronted shop in the town centre.
And an awful lot less can be done from a market stall like deliveries, funeral orders, weddings etc, which as you can appreciate are worth a considerable income. I'm 100% sure the overheads are less, but the retail space and everything else that contributes means you take in less money. But anyway, I assure you it was because they were semi-retiring.
Old 27-04-2008, 22:19   #116
God Member

Ugh, in addition (in regards to the 25k rent) I don't think anyones come up with the alternative figures of cost breakdown to show that 25k is a lot for rent. So neither argument is any more correct.
Old 27-04-2008, 22:35   #117
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Ugh, in addition (in regards to the 25k rent) I don't think anyones come up with the alternative figures of cost breakdown to show that 25k is a lot for rent. So neither argument is any more correct.
Well, no Cyfr .. need an independent trader to do that for us. With high street national stores, 'tis viewed globally, not just the ones that are making profit (as per the post offices) so cannot compare really.

You are doing a good job questioning these issues, so take heart and consolation in your inquisitive mind. Note my first quote at the bottom of my profile .. that is what you are up against.
Old 27-04-2008, 22:40   #118
God Member

Thank-you katex

I believe low tax is good, and that's what promotes and encourages business. I am just questioning the claim as I myself don't know the full figures. If it turns out that 25 grand is high, then I'll happily admit I was wrong in my original glance of the issue.
Old 27-04-2008, 22:47   #119
God Member

Quote:
You are doing a good job questioning these issues, so take heart and consolation in your inquisitive mind. Note my first quote at the bottom of my profile .. that is what you are up against.
Quote at the bottom of your profile:
I came..I saw ..I conquered..but I am still living in Ossy.
Give the lad some sound advise...Please

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 23:11   #120
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Quote at the bottom of your profile:
I came..I saw ..I conquered..but I am still living in Ossy.
Give the lad some sound advise...Please
Ok ..'Just in terms of the allocation of time resource, religion is not very efficient. There's a lot more I could be doing with my Sunday morning' .. Bill Gates.

'I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S. Thompson.

'I've stopped drinking, but only when I am asleep' .. George Best

'Before you talk a load of poo ... make sure you have double texture poo paper to wipe it off yer lips' (nicely scented of course .. green friendly and recycled) .. katex.

Can't think of owt else ...

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..