Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-04-2008, 16:39   #1
Resting In Peace

mr britcliffe

mr britcliffe has a quote in the observer, conservatives have turned the council around in the past five years, he must be kidding.
he brags about the over 60s enjoying a free trip to the sea side, and we all know this is only for a month .
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-04-2008, 16:46   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: mr britcliffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosh View Post
mr britcliffe has a quote in the observer, conservatives have turned the council around in the past five years, he must be kidding.
he brags about the over 60s enjoying a free trip to the sea side, and we all know this is only for a month .
Considering that the council had a £1.8 million budget deficit when the Tories took control and they have just been awarded an exclant mark by the Audit Commision things are certainly better than when Labour were truffed out on their ear
Old 24-04-2008, 17:44   #3
Resting In Peace

they might have cleard the £ .8 mill but look atb the state of the town, we have nothing.
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 17:46   #4
God Member

Quote:
they might have cleard the £ .8 mill but look atb the state of the town, we have nothing.
What alternatives do you propose?
Old 24-04-2008, 17:52   #5
God Member

Quote:
look atb the state of the town, we have nothing.
That's a bit of a broad statement.
What do you mean when you say we have nothing?
Old 24-04-2008, 17:54   #6
Give, give, give member

Quote:
On the same page it is claimed we have moved up the league table, from 58th up to 44th place.

Hurrah for Hyndburn!

Unfotunately it's the league table of poorest boroughs in the country, now putting us on a par with Tower Hamlets in London.

It's also noted that no less an august journal as the Daily Telegraph, politically Tory to it's core, names Hyndburn as the most expensive council in Britain.

I muist point out that all though this was on the same page as Britcliffe's tale, these facts come courtesy of Cllr. Jones.

By the way, I don't know where Britcliffe does his shopping, but it sure as hell ain't in Oswaldtwistle.

He says in his plea for votes that minced beef has gone up 64% last year, and bread has gone up 20%.

Maybe it has in Harrod's Food Hall sunshine, but I can supply the names of both a local butchers and a bakers in Oswaldtwistle where there haven't been those increases, and if he actually shopped in locally he'd know that.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 18:02   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

It's also noted that no less an august journal as the Daily Telegraph, politically Tory to it's core, names Hyndburn as the most expensive council in Britain.

I muist point out that all though this was on the same page as Britcliffe's tale, these facts come courtesy of Cllr. Jones.

By the way, I don't know where Britcliffe does his shopping, but it sure as hell ain't in Oswaldtwistle.
Please don't use that figure, we debated it in the other thread and it was wildly inaccurate because of the way it was calculated. Comparing BAND D properties when 70+% of houses in Accrington are band A and B.
Old 24-04-2008, 18:05   #8
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
What alternatives do you propose?
Perhaps spending less on litter Police and more on the poor guys that have to clean it up?
Perhaps employing more refuse collectors rather than someone to search through ordinary folks waste, just to make sure they are recycling properly?

Using a carrot for the donkey, i.e. "excuse me Sir, but this is our town please don't throw you fag end in the street", instead of people hiding and photographing offenders just to make an extra few pounds.

I quite like our gentlemen that go around with their brush and shovel attempting to keep the streets clean, give them a bit of limelight, show people what a worthwhile job they are doing rather than paying over the odds for sneak Police. Educate the masses before you punish them!

I know it's an offence to litter, but I'm sure that people would co-operate more to gentle persuasion than something like a £70 fine, the first time I'm caught for making a mistake, (I always try to remember to use a bin), will be the time I stop searching for a bin and just watch out for the camera!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 18:09   #9
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Please don't use that figure, we debated it in the other thread and it was wildly inaccurate because of the way it was calculated. Comparing BAND D properties when 70+% of houses in Accrington are band A and B.
I'm just quoting what is in the Accrington Observer, and it says there in black and white that the Daily Telegraph named us as the most expensive borough in the country.

I'm just the messenger, any complaints about inaccuracies should be addressed to the legal department at the Daily Telegraph, 111 Buckingham Palace Road, London, SW1.

Old 24-04-2008, 18:13   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
That's a bit of a broad statement.
What do you mean when you say we have nothing?
Well for one its becoming a right dump.........
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 18:17   #11
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post
Well for one its becoming a right dump.........
You're not wrong there.

Even in my relatively short life time, it's so much worse than ten, twenty, thirty years ago.

So many well loved business gone for ever, to be replaced by pound shops, empty shops, and always a sign that an area is on a steep decline, pawn brokers shops.

Old 24-04-2008, 18:19   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I'm just quoting what is in the Accrington Observer, and it says there in black and white that the Daily Telegraph named us as the most expensive borough in the country.

I'm just the messenger, any complaints about inaccuracies should be addressed to the legal department at the Daily Telegraph, 111 Buckingham Palace Road, London, SW1.
I'm just saying read into things, this is a great example of why we shouldn't take everything at face value just because it's in a newspaper.

I'm not arguing against you (unless you've looked up how they got the figure and happen to still think its accurate), I know you're just quoting it.
Old 24-04-2008, 18:26   #13
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
I'm just saying read into things, this is a great example of why we shouldn't take everything at face value just because it's in a newspaper.

I'm not arguing against you (
Yes you are arguing against him, you are trying to make everything rosy so far as your views are concerned, now that 'rindy has you cornered you are trying to make it seem YOU'RE educating him, I think we've seen enough of his posts to realise he doesn't need to learn much from a first year college student to know when the toilets blocked, 'cos there's a stink coming from somewhere!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 18:26   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Even what Peter Britcliffe writes in this week's Observer, as to why we should vote for him?

Old 24-04-2008, 18:28   #15
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Yes you are arguing against him, you are trying to make everything rosy so far as your views are concerned, now that 'rindy has you cornered you are trying to make it seem YOU'RE educating him, I think we've seen enough of his posts to realise he doesn't need to learn much from a first year college student to know when the toilets blocked, 'cos there's a stink coming from somewhere!
I'm not doing any plumbing, no matter how bad the stink!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..