Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2013, 17:18   #1
Senior Member+

Mr. Roy Taylor

(Not sure if this is the right place for this, if not mods, please put it in the right section.)

Although not a member on here Mr. Roy Taylor was known to many who are, and it was he who also got me on here

It is with a heavy heart that I report that he died today (Sunday) in hospital, he had been in for a number of weeks.

He was for a number of years the manager of Garth Dawson's Camera shop, and was also a photographer for the Accrington Observer working freelance alongside Garth himself.

I personally have known him for over 30 years and will miss him.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-11-2013, 17:37   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Mr. Roy Taylor

Very sad news Dave, although I hadn't seen Roy for a while I knew him very well and being both a radio ham and photographer we got on very well.

I knew his wife was very ill and. Roy visited every day but didn't realise he was poorly.
R.I,P Roy.
Old 10-11-2013, 17:42   #3
Senior Member+

I've only met Roy when I have been in Garth Dawson's. He was very helpful when I bought my first digital camera. R.I.P Roy
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 17:44   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
Very sad news Dave, although I hadn't seen Roy for a while I knew him very well and being both a radio ham and photographer we got on very well.

I knew his wife was very ill and. Roy visited every day but didn't realise he was poorly.
R.I,P Roy.
My interests were the same, I taught him morse on 2 meters when he wanted to go HF.

He had been in hospital for about two months, first Royal Blackburn, then a period in Royal Preston, then finally back to Royal Blackburn last Monday. He has gone through a lot these last months, but he is not in pain now.
Old 10-11-2013, 17:47   #5
God Member

i recently had the pleasure of looking after Roy on the ward i work on at the Royal Blackburn, he was such a nice bloke, full if stories of the past, some stories he told me about a few accywebbers that had me in stitches, what a wonderful man he was

Rest easy now Roy x
Old 10-11-2013, 17:48   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
I've only met Roy when I have been in Garth Dawson's. He was very helpful when I bought my first digital camera. R.I.P Roy
He was still a hobby photographer, and had recently bought a new Nikon, but not used it yet.
Old 10-11-2013, 20:46   #7
I am Banned

First met Roy not long after Garth moved his shop from Infant St to little Blackburn Rd, he taught me a lot about 35mm film processing, he was well liked and will not be forgotten.
R.I.P. Roy.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:17   #8
Resting in Peace

He snapped me on a few occasions RIP Roy
Old 11-11-2013, 10:23   #9
God Member

i hope katex has been told, he spoke very highly of her
Old 11-11-2013, 11:57   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
i hope katex has been told, he spoke very highly of her

I sent her a PM when you said, awaiting reply, thanks.
flashy likes this.
Old 12-11-2013, 18:46   #11

I only met Roy once,so I never really knew him,even though he was a Radio Ham like myself.he was never active on the air,or at least on the local frequencies.I will pass this on to my sister Katex who I hope to visit tomorrow.She is in a nursing home and still quite poorly.
shillelagh likes this.
TubbyLes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 20:01   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyLes View Post
I only met Roy once,so I never really knew him,even though he was a Radio Ham like myself.he was never active on the air,or at least on the local frequencies.I will pass this on to my sister Katex who I hope to visit tomorrow.She is in a nursing home and still quite poorly.
He was for a time, very active with Raynet, but when he gave this up I think radio took a back seat.
I am sorry to hear Katex is not well, I did wonder why I had not had a reply to my PM.

His funeral is at Accrington Crematorium this Friday at 11.30 am.
Old 12-11-2013, 20:52   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
He was for a time, very active with Raynet, but when he gave this up I think radio took a back seat.
I am sorry to hear Katex is not well, I did wonder why I had not had a reply to my PM.

His funeral is at Accrington Crematorium this Friday at 11.30 am.
Thank you Dave and Flashy and for these posts.

Ah yes, Roy and Sylvia and their wonderful family - my ex and I had many happy times with them and always comfortable in their company.

I last saw him a few months ago in the Doctors. He was telling me about
Sylvia and her ill health, which saddened me greatly. He didn't look that much different to be honest, still the same spikey haircut.

I suspect 'my ex' knew Roy initially through their fishing interest, not the others.

He did tell me he was putting on file his 1,000's of photographs and was sweetening him up to probe for pictures of Accrington, etc., but gathered most were family and friends.

Thanks for the details, Dave, would definitely love to go and pay my respects, but not too hot myself at the moment.

Will take some time to think about our very 'interesting' discussions instead.

Once again, thank you.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 21:02   #14
Beacon of light

Kate, sorry to hear that you yourself are not well.
I hope you are being well looked after, and just wanted to let you know you have been missed. Take care Kate.
mobertol likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 21:06   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Kate, sorry to hear that you yourself are not well.
I hope you are being well looked after, and just wanted to let you know you have been missed. Take care Kate.
Thanks very much, Margaret. xx
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..