Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-11-2017, 08:54   #16
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: murder of dogs in jordan

I see groups of people in this country arranging to rehome dogs from other countries here. It's a totally pointless waste of money. The cost of bringing dogs here from other countries would fund saving more dogs already here. When they bring dogs here it only means that dogs already here won't get rehomed and will sadly be put to sleep.
Old 20-11-2017, 10:06   #17
Beacon of light

There will always be those who get dogs who should never have them...they cannot look after themselves yet they get a dog.
There will always be those who feel that the best use of their resources is to bring into this country(at great expense) a dog from abroad....and to some degree I can understand them.
They go on holiday see a cute unloved mutt and want it in their lives.
I can see that in certain circumstances I could do the same.
It is about choice.
Owning an animal is as much like falling in love as....falling in love.
For some people owning an animal is like choosing to have a baby and comes with very similar responsibilities...you take on an animal and you take it on for life.
You take on its every need....some folk get it and do the right thing...others do not.

However much we chew around this situation, it is never going to be solved by talking about it.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 08:15   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I guess we are sorting out the stray dog problem in a more humane way...but it still does not get away from the fact that it is NOT the fault of the animal, but the fault of irresponsible humans.
think a lot of what people may class as stray dogs are ones that are escape artists. getting out of gardens you thought were secure, answer the door and fido is off. with microchipping and phone numbers on disks it is much easier to find their qwners which i have done a couple of times in the last 12 months. go through any housing estate now and you don,t see dogs about like a few years ago on their own.

Last edited by Neil; 28-11-2017 at 02:57. Reason: fix quote
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 10:28   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
think a lot of what people may class as stray dogs are ones that are escape artists. getting out of gardens you thought were secure, answer the door and fido is off. with microchipping and phone numbers on disks it is much easier to find their qwners which i have done a couple of times in the last 12 months. go through any housing estate now and you don,t see dogs about like a few years ago on their own.
when I was a kid, late forties early fifties, we lived on a council estate in Manchester, had a 'heinz 57' dog, both parents at work, dog let out in the morning, back in after school.... lord knows what it got up to in the meantime, but, back then, it was normal to see lots of dogs roaming the estate with no sign of owners,

Last edited by Neil; 28-11-2017 at 02:57. Reason: fix quote
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 11:51   #20
Beacon of light

Yes, that is my experience too.
I doubt that there are many owners do that now.
It certainly is not evident where I live now...and hasn't been like that for many years.
Old 21-11-2017, 18:17   #21
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

What a pile of sheeite, why on earth are you all bothering about a few dogs when we all know they would treat whites with even less humanity?
It's time we put some balls together to rid the world of the real pestilence.
Barrie Yates likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 18:30   #22

Yes, rid the world of them and leave the dogs alone

Another reason why you do not see dogs out alone much these days is due to how much they can be worth. Fido may be +/-Ł1k, not something you let roam the streets.
hilleluk likes this.
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 18:40   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSix View Post
Yes, rid the world of them and leave the dogs alone

Another reason why you do not see dogs out alone much these days is due to how much they can be worth. Fido may be +/-Ł1k, not something you let roam the streets.
And is monetary value why a dog should live?

I've had mongrels whenever I spent time looking after a hound, the only reason a dog should live is because it's owner (carer?) spends time keeping it secure and safe, not only for itself but for humanity.
Old 21-11-2017, 20:18   #24
Beacon of light

Less, because caring for another sentient being instils compassion and caring into humanity.
Old 21-11-2017, 22:45   #25
Senior Member+

In the Middle East and Far East there are many dogs roaming loose - feral. They carry diseases, most notable of which is rabies, and they breed like rabbits or even faster.
Old 22-11-2017, 06:12   #26
Beacon of light

And the humane way to treat this problem is to shoot them?
I suppose it is indicative of the value they put on any kind of life.
hilleluk and monkey hanger like this.
Old 14-12-2017, 13:59   #27

I think there is a point being missed here. In general dogs are considered unclean animals in many Muslim countries, so that could partially be the basis for killing them. Cats by comparison are considered to be quite clean animals as they groom themselves a lot.

I can understand euthanasia for public safety grounds, but I'd be wary to say it wasn't an excuse to see off the western man's best friend. Take my musings with a pinch of salt though, to date I'm not really versed in Jordanian culture.
StudentMedicOllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 15:39   #28

Quote:
And the humane way to treat this problem is to shoot them?
I suppose it is indicative of the value they put on any kind of life.
If a dog is a threat to human life then it should be put down, simple as. We all want a perfect world that doesn't involve bloodshed but it isn't this world.
Old 14-12-2017, 16:57   #29
Beacon of light

Who has said that these dogs were a threat to human life.
Some of the dogs which have been exterminated were family pets. No attempts were made to find out if they were strays or pets.
And if a dog is a threat to human life, then yes, it should be put down, but this should be done humanely.
As I said,how we treat animals is indicative of how society and civilisation has fallen.
Old 15-12-2017, 15:56   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
Who has said that these dogs were a threat to human life.

As I said,how we treat animals is indicative of how society and civilisation has fallen.
Any feral dog, in most countries outside of UK, are likely to carry rabies.

This thread was about dogs in a Middle Eastern country - a completely different type of society to what we have here (still). From what level do you consider that level of society to have fallen? In UK, and some parts of Europe, I would say that the level of care and concern for all animals are second to none.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..